1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I used to love Norsey stuff, but then it kinda got... co-opted.

My thought process usually went:

"Cool, runic alphabet! This person must be into Tolkein!"
    "No, they must be into Norse mythology!"
    "Oh. They're a nazi. Lovely."

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The idea that a rune can be "nazi" is so weird to me. Just like saying certain words in German will get you weird looks. If we can't use anything the Nazis used for propaganda or in their marketi---- communication material, we wouldn't be able to do or say literally anything anymore (in German).

Runes are older than Nazis. The bloody German language is older than Nazis. Mr. Tolkien is older than Nazis, too. Why can't we just use both normally? [/rant]

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm not saying the runes are nazi; I'm saying the people I see using the runes are nazi. Not exclusively, by any stretch of the imagination, but I see more neo-nazis with runic tattoos than I do Tolkien fans or followers of Odin.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

FTFY :thumb:

EDIT: And yes, it's a fantastic introduction to Norse mythology, certainly easier than jumping into something like the Poetic Edda ;)

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wow, mad day to follow on from the weirdness last night.

Got up around 9ish, got a FB message from my mother saying she was walking to Tesco, then was going to vote. I hadn't told her about the crazy BREXIT guy so I told her to inform me when she got back and I'd phone her.

About ten minutes later she says call, which made no sense. She's very slow and it would usually take her over an hour. Turned out she fell onto the pavement stepping down from the path. She said she was fine but I know her fine and mine are very different so I got panicky and decided to go/come over.

Rode to the train station fast. Mad respect to the Bognorites for letting me skip the queue for tickets after I explained the situation. I got on the train and got off. As I came out I had two choices. Bomb down the very steep hill or ride the grass verge next to the road. I chose the verge,oddly, given the panic I was in. The asphalt would have been much faster...

As I flew down the hill the car I would have been tailing crashed into a box van. Had I chose the road I wouldn't be typing this. No helmet, nothing.

Mad. Just, mad.

Thankfully mum seems to be okay. No doubt she'll be sore tomorrow but she's still mostly in one piece.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Got a direct email from the Art Director of a well respected AAA game studio who found my portfolio and wants me to apply to work at a newly established sub studio based in Leamington spa.

smells too good to be true but i'll go along with it for now.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

What is this 'read' you speak of...? o_O

I read stuff on my PC and the occasional PC magazine... anything more in-depth than that puts me to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 May 2019
  8. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Finally managed to get my head round - and actually set up - a second SSD for Games (OK; in my case 'a game') so I don't have to re-install it if/when Windows needs a re-working.
    Windows now on a 250GB Samsung 840; games drive is a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

There's the 'too good to be true' bit.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

well i wouldn't call them AAA but then they're not as low as AA either.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Okay, that I can understand.

Sometimes my phone is stupid. Thanks for fixing it.

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Leamington Spa and Coventry are HUGE in the UK games market. So much growth and expansion in there. I’d suggest giving it a shot. There will be lots of mobility in the area over the coming years.

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'Tis my birthday

perplekks45, The_Crapman, Hex and 5 others like this.
  14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Are you one of those whippersnappers or are you an ol' dirty *******?

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

22 Human or Doge years is for you to work out

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Damned whippersnappers. Get off my lawn!

So we can expect a "I drank too much and have the hangover from hell" in the opposite thread tomorrow?

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  17. MLyons

I'm driving to an escape room tomorrow then got a family picnic Sunday so it'll most likely be monday

liratheal likes this.
  18. Pretizx

Pretizx What's a Dremel?

happy Hangover :grin::grin:

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Happy day of cake DevDoge, remember not choclate don't need Gareth taking you to the vets again.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  20. MLyons

Will have a pic of the cake later after the fast food run