1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs TV or Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scroome, 28 May 2019.

1. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Hey all,

For the last six years, I've been using my a Sony KDL-55W829B 55" TV, hooked up to my PC.

It did me well, gaming at 1080p for this time, but now I've upgraded my trusty GTX 970 to an RTX2070, I'd like to move on to something that can handle the 1440p to 2160p that the RTX can do.

I guess the question here, is should I purchase a 4K TV, or move back to using a monitor.

I only really use the TV for Netflix/Movies, outside of gaming, but I do enjoy not having to sit at a desk to use it.

I've been out of the loop on monitors for so long, I wouldn't know where to start.

I tried having a look around, but from what I can see, a decent monitor costs the same as a decent 4K TV (and often, a lot more).

My budget would be somewhere between £500-£700, which I know isn't a lot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So are you not using it at a desk? The only issue with TV's as far as I can tell is input lag and pixel ghosting. Linus Tech Tips has done at least one video about the problems of gaming on TV's I think, but if you've been doing it this long I doubt you'll mind. Just remember that 4k with still be a bit of a stretch even for a 2070. So your options are a 32" 1440p monitor, which you'll be able to run with most of the graphics maxed at high frame rates, or a 4k TV but you'll have to probably tweak setting for 60fps. There are the new Nvidia BFGD's releasing soon, but they're well over £1k from what I've seen, so it may be worth you waiting, saving, and seeing where those fit into the current display line-up :)

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You don't need a TV license if you're not watching broadcast TV or iplayer.

4. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Awesome. Thank you :)

Not currently at a desk, no. My TV is sitting on top of a unit, and I have a comfy chair about two and bit metres away from the TV (using wireless keyboard & mouse)

The options would be to ditch the TV and unit, get a desk set up and probably buy a 32 inch 1440p 144Hz Monitor, or keep the current set up and switch the TV out for a 4K one.

I think I'd stick to 1440p, like you say. If I had a 4K TV, 2160p would likely be reserved for my older titles, or if I'm not bothered at playing something at maxed out settings.

The input lag for my old TV was around 20ms, which while isn't great for modern standards, was decent enough at the time.

Do you have any recommendations for monitors?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I use a 4k TV instead of a monitor in my home predominantly because I did more gaming on PS4 and it works with HDR much better than PC does, so it is ideal for console and media, on the PC side mine is a Samsung and has low latency sub 20ms, fine for me , biggest problem I have with TV is Samsung in their wisdom try to guess what is connected and sets the HDMI port to HDMI ratHer than PC 50% of the time and will look crap, you have to keep switching to connected device type to PC.

Once done though it is great 43 inch 4k so RTS looks awesome lots of usable screen space, it's even great for CAD providing you don't require bang on colour accuracy. 60hz without variable refresh rate is not ideal. Another drawback of TV is that it does not have the same level of PIP abilities which is something I used a lot in the past.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Alas no I'm afraid, avoid VA panels. The one I have has really bad shadowing on hard colour transitions (black/white), even on medium overdrive, on max there a really subtle flicker which makes your eyes ache. Stick to TN or ISP screens would be my recommendation.

7. hayate89

hayate89 What's a Dremel?

both of them :rock: