1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

This.

Although as a Liverpool fan they played pretty poorly I have to admit... I didn't get the buzz I expected from the final. More bunch clenching anxiety, Tottenham looked threatening at points but just couldn't seem to get it through. Had to watch some of the Barcelona highlights this morning to feel that "Yeah we deserved it to be fair"

This could have been in the ruining thread, I streamed the match from BT Sport YouTube live. 83mins or so Tottenham has a free kick on the outside of the box after some pretty dangerous play. At this point my broadband dropped out.... I'd been using it all day with no issues and it drops out then!

router off and on again at which point Liverpool had scored! :(

2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

After almost two days of messing around with it and constantly reinstalling; I finally got my Plane-Tracking RPi back up and running, updated and displaying 'radar' on a UnicornHatHD! I'm so happy it all finally works together! I would post a pic, but it's literally just an LED Matrix with some dots lit up and won't be anywhere near as exciting to anyone else :hehe:

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Go on post a pic

4. Hex

Fine (ignore the dust) :p: ! Not many aircraft around at the moment, the 'radar' is covering a 30mile radius as I only want to see things I can hear. Its main use will be: I can hear an aircraft, quick check - will the details be on the webpage if I look? Because if it's not, I'll go and look out of the window first! (I have a phobia of large passenger planes and knowing what's in the sky above me at any given time really helps, also it's fascinating.)

The white dot in the middle is where the receiver is, the faint dot underneath is the nearest local airport. The colours indicate the altitudes from lowest to highest: red - orange - yellow - green - cyan - blue - purple. (I didn't write this, it's something I randomly found on github!)

[​IMG]

goldstar0011, Goatee and MLyons like this.
  5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I love it.

Hex likes this.
  6. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

That's interesting af, can we do the same thing for boats?

Hex likes this.
  7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Make sure to charge him or ask for royalties @Hex

Hex likes this.
  8. Hex

I actually had no idea, so a quick look around and apparently you can! Dump1090 (and its many forks) is the program for decoding 1090MHz signals (ADS-B) from aircraft. You can pick them up using a USB Digital TV antenna (DVB-T) and if you feed your data onto a plane-tracking site they'll usually reward you with free membership.

Anyway, a quick google and I've found that the ship equivalent of ADS-B is AIS and you can pick this up with an RTL SDR dongle too! I don't know enough about this one, so will just leave you with all those acronyms to look into. It is possible though! :happy:

[edit I found a link!]This might be worth a gander:
    https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/2019/01/ais-for-raspberry-with-map-and.html

Weekly_Estimate and Byron C like this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Boo, my cheap TV tuner stick doesn't use an RTL2832U chipset... Might have a look and see if I can find a compatible dongle for cheap, the list of cool things you can do with them is quite long...

Thanks @Hex, every day is a school day :grin:

Hex likes this.
  10. Hex

I have this one, it's £12 and works great for ADS-B!

There were a few more planes above me this morning!
    [​IMG]

Byron C likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks! Found a similar dongle on ebay for about £8, plus there's also the kits and whatnot you can get at rtl-sdr.com which look like pretty good value for money.

I think I'd be more interested in receiving data/signals from satellites than ADS-B signals, and that looks like I'd need to build a fairly complicated antenna. I'm just gonna step back from this rabbit hole a moment... :grin:

Arboreal and Hex like this.
  12. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So one of our software developers came down and asked if I was interested in play testing a game her husband is working on - I initially assumed it was some mobile game he was working on in his spare time.

Nope, turns out he works for Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword, DmC, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice), who are based literally a 10 minute walk from my house and I am going to play test something they are going to be presenting at E3 this year... NDA's and all! In return I also get an E3 swag bag when they come back :D

IanW, Hex, MLyons and 2 others like this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

* gritted teeth * I am really * grinds * pleased for you * gritted teeth *

perplekks45, Arboreal, MLyons and 2 others like this.
  14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Now, now @adidan ... Hulk mode - off.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

[​IMG]

goldstar0011 and Guest-44638 like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's a nice loop...

adidan, goldstar0011 and MLyons like this.
  17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

When - despite thinking you'd reset it - your CPU still Turbo runs all-cores @ 4.2GHz...

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

New FD Silent R3 fan on wifes' PC case, for exhaust detail and cabling re-managed. :clap:

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Made chicken katsu curry earlier and now I can't get back out of my chair because I'm full of food.

Well over and hour and a half of prep & cooking, but worth it. Totally worth it.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  20. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Really satisfying when you spend ages making food to really really enjoy it