1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

yes, and no... in that order...

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

How in silicon Hell did Intel bork their own driver...?
    You got a roll-back driver, as a stop gap...?

EDIT:
    Ohh, wait; did they update the rest of the chipset driver set, too...? May wanna look at that.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...you'd be surprised.

Haven't had time to tinker properly but i can try older versions of the driver. It's running off the MS Basic 'it'll display the desktop and that's about it' fallback driver for now.

That's the random thing... neither Windows, the graphics driver or chipset driver have been updated recently. It was working yesterday, today it isn't.

4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I don't see many worse ways to be as hosed as that machine, right now... o_O

Oh, wait... Safe Mode. :(

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

All 3 displayports on my GTX 1080 appear to have kicked the bucket. Shut the pc down last night with no problems, turn it on earlier and main monitor on DisplayPort shows no display whereas second monitor over dvi works fine. Tried drivers e.t.c but no display even at bios level over DisplayPort so I presume it’s gonna be hardware of some sort. Great.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Had a quick scan, i wouldn't write if off just yet as it seems you're not alone.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...king-on-gigabyte-1080-ti-but-hdmi-ok.3335871/

And there's a utility here but have a read through before using (although it is an nvidia utility) https://www.techpowerup.com/244981/nvidia-has-a-displayport-problem-which-only-a-bios-update-can-fix?cp=3#comments

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Even at current prices, a 1080 ain't gonna be a cheap swap out... GL, @lancer778544

8. adidan

I'd check out the nvidia utility first TBH.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Grr a day for liquid !

Got up quite late today (the weather I suspect, probably telling my body to stay put). Put the coffee on, poured it into my Dunkin Donuts cup with a clip on lid. Realised I had forgotten to stir it (sweetener). Went to pull lid off and ended up wearing it. All over the kitchen side board, all over the cupboard doors, all over the floor and all over me. Did a wash (I'd done one yesterday grr). Go to sit down by window, realise it's been raining, coffee table and everything on it drenched including all of my game controllers, keys, letters with dates on etc.

Wouldnt mind so much but I don't feel all that either. Had a stomach ache for about a week now (IBS I suspect) so sod it I've taken some codeine. Not going to be a martyr any more I'm sick of being in pain.

Got the last two eps of Chernobyl to watch (it's incredible) so I may have an early night right after dinner.

10. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

EDIT to my last, for continuity sake... looks like 1080 is EoL for mainstream/new, so still gonna be a sizeable kick in the groin if it is terminal.

@Vault-Tec - better day for ducks than humans...? o_O

11. veato

veato I should be working

Going to Monster Jam at the weekend. Was hoping to get some nice photos (personal use) but just read the T&Cs and they state "No professional cameras or cameras with detachable lenses." Arguably the person, not the camera, is the professional but clearly my modest DSLR won't be allowed. I guess a 2000mm superzoom bridge camera is fine though? Makes perfect sense.

12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As someone with nearly 0 photography experience surely modern mobile phones produce photos good enough. *hides

13. adidan

That's one of the stupidest restrictions. What is 'professional' and what does being able to change lenses have to do with anything nowadays?

I mean some 'non-professional' compact cameras without adetachable lens have massive zoom ranges and cost more than those that do.

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Life ruining, life awesome, hard to tell. Just hit 30 years of existence.

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

Well, awesome for you but ruining for me reminding me how old i am.

16. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

"Get off my lawn, whipper-snapper...!"
    That's what @adidan meant. :p

adidan likes this.
  17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

What the gear costs doesn't always indicate the user having the skill to get the best out of it... just because you CAN afford a £5k D-SLR body, doesn't mean you're a 1% pro. 'tog.
    If money was no object, I'd get this, but my skill level would be more appropriate to this.

At 'fests like that, they're looking to minimise copyright breach for the performance(s), and D-SLR's have a better chance to get usable media that would incur said breach...

18. veato

veato I should be working

It's more the lack of decent optical zoom I'm going to miss.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This.

And this.

Give a total newb a £5500 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II (as @Jeff Hine linked to) and they'll produce poor-to-mediocre results. Give someone who knows what they're doing a cheap bridge camera from 10 years ago and they'll get excellent results out of it.

I'd say it's more about controlling who is allowed to make money from it, rather than being purely about protecting against intellectual property breaches. They're both branches of the same tree but money is almost certainly going to be the main factor.

20. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Thanks all. Tried the Displayport firmware updater thingy from Nvidia which updated the card but no change. Googled a few issues while waiting with the other half in hospital and and found a lot of people with the same issue. Just got home and swapped out the cable once I remembered where they were and all sorted. Swapped back to the old cable just to prove the point and now that works fine.... What the frick. Technology eh?

Not gonna lie, while I was waiting I was thinking of how much of my body I would need to sell so I could get @Speed 's EVGA RTX 2080 Ti from the marketplace :p

adidan likes this.