1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI shows off X570 motherboards ready for 3rd Gen Ryzen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Jun 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

An M.2 slot that isn't trapped below PCIe cards? What sorcery is this? Good job MSI.
    (yes, I know the X570 Ace isn't the first board to do this, I just wish it was more common)

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

These look MEAN. Is it worth looking at these rather than the Intel 87/96/97/9900 chips for stuff like workload and gaming, rather than content creation (do none of that)? I'm assuming these are Zen 2 but I'm also kind of losing track here...!
    I found this from a recent bit review:
    "The Ryzen 7 2700X is slower in all but one of our tests, which seems to favour AMD in a big way anyway. However, it's readily available for less than £300 - half the current pre-order price of the Core i9-9900K and one wonders what AMD has in store with Zen 2 as well. The Core i7-8700K is also £150 cheaper, yet performs the same in most games and still offers decent multi-threaded performance for the casual content creator, while if the latter is your main focus, the Threadripper 1920X is definitely worth considering too."
    ...which then throws in TR.

Aaaaaargh!!

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

what sort of workload stuff? Even just gaming I'd consider the Ryzen 3 stuff as they're looking really good.

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

These X570 motherboards do indeed support "Zen 2" processors i.e. 3rd Gen Ryzen, which @MLyons also referred to as 'Ryzen 3', and which will come out in July. You do not, however, need an X570 motherboard to use these CPUs, as many older chipsets using the AM4 socket will also support them after a BIOS update.

As to the question of whether the CPUs are worth considering, well, definitely. They are showing a lot of promise on price/performance, but we won't know for sure how everything stacks up until the reviews go live, which I believe is July 7th.

MLyons likes this.
Tags: Add Tags