1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New GPU help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AQNFX, 5 Jun 2019.

1. AQNFX

AQNFX Twist The Grip, Let It Rip!

So my lovely 390x finally died after about 4 solid years of use. So I'm in the market but I really cant decide. I've been team red for the last 10 years but maybe its a time to change. I like the price of the 590 but I honestly don't see the gains in performance, maybe 15-25 fps in game... if that. 1660 ti has my ears perked but then again I spend $50 more and I could get a 2060. And then the new "super" cards are coming out soon...

my budget is $400 USD. and I really don't want to upgrade my monitor at this time so the GPU has to have DVI.

With the new cards that MIGHT come out soon should I wait but I know that game is a dangerous one to play.

What would you do?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Navi and Super will be out soon, see what they bring and at what price.

If your monitor is DVI-d which it probably is, a simple converter will work.

Use your iGPU until you have all options on the table.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

DVI is dead.
    However you can get a displayport - dvi adapter from amazon for less than $5, so DVI being dead doesn't really matter.

Given that the new cards are allegedly just weeks away... I'd wait.

AQNFX likes this.
  4. AQNFX

WHEN** SUPER or NAVI launches I dont think I'll be able to get my hands on a card till Mid September (my guess) unless I want to pay a premium just to get my hands of a FE edition. So if ALL the current cards on the market drop price when those launch, I'll be happy but if not I waited for nothing. and with trends that are out there, its just over saturated with cards with imaginal improvements over the next.

My wallet and my other hobby say I should just go with a Asus tuf 1660 ti but then I'm like $50 more and I could get a Asus Tuf 2060 for $350. At that price is it a steal?

Is Navi going to be a one trick pony like VII? It was aimed at beating ONE card, didn't do so well, was over hyped, and didn't meet the price point that we were all hoping for when it launched. today's value isn't bad but still a tad over priced.

BUT AMD just released the Pro Vega II for the APPLE Pro so was that a glimpse of what is to come?

Just for a piece of my troubled mind, I play ALL my games all at 2560x1600, I dont scale down, its pointless. .my specs are all in my sig and these are the fps I get. It would be nice to turn some of the settings up but fps and sticking to my resolution is my priority.

Overwatch Maxed out FPS 40-70
    Battleground- all low 40-60 fps
    Diablo 3 all max 100+ fps
    BF4 maxxed out 70-100 fps
    Insurgency low settings 40-55 fps This might be the only game I would want to play on max setting that I currently cant.
    Blackops 70 - 90 FPS on all low.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2019
  5. AQNFX

I know its dead. but i just dont want to waste my current monitor and dont want to buy a new one just yet.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Among current cards and coming from a 390x I'd grab a 2060 over a 1660ti.
    $350 is a good price for the TUF 2060 (compared to other 2060s), of course... that is where it gets tricky with new cards inbound as the value proposition may change, but if we exclude the new cards then yes, go for the $350 TUF 2060.

As for Navi, nothing much is known beyond midrange and coming soon, rest is basically just speculation or marketing fluff.

Pro Vega II is very much cut from the same cloth as Vega VII as both are derivatives of the current Radeon MI (MI 60 for the Pro Vega II / MI 50 for the Vega VII) enterprise cards.
    So Pro Vega II is current AMD stuff cranked up to crazy rather than a hint of anything new.

7. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I suspect it'll be hard to beat the current prices on Vega 56 for value (same price on Amazon). Especially if you're up for a bit of tinkering with voltages etc.

That said, you'll only know for sure once Navi comes out. Whether it is good or not, I imagine that'll put and end to the pricing/stock on Vega.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

My wife has the same card (Sapphire Pulse V56) in her machine and can't fault it for the ~ 280 I paid (at the time with 3 games).

With a bit of tweaking it is running at around 1600/950 at ~ 1050mV (P6/7) & + 50% power. Chews through everything she throws at it on her 1080p screen.