1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features The 10 Best RPGs of the Last 10 Years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Jun 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Mass Effect 2 and 3 on a shortlist of 10 RPG's over the past decade?

Either that's a controversial choice, or RPG's have been out of favour for longer than I realised.

EDIT:

I just had a quick check - As it happens, the RPG genre has just been that stagnant for the past 10 years. I guess it's been the decade of the online FPS (swaying towards the Battle Royale phenomenon towards the end)... Maybe the early 2000's will be the best we ever get??

Last edited: 10 Jun 2019
  3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As I play with Steam offline, I have no record of how many hours I have played Skyrim but, it is certainly well into 4 figures.

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

No love for Kingdom Come: Deliverance?

5. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Some belters on the list and 3 I own but haven't touched yet. Just need to win the lottery and pack the wife and kids off on a round the world cruise for 3 months!

Also, the problem with Witcher 3 is that it makes you feel underwhelmed with other games you play and quickly drop them. I had an email about Cyberpunk 2077 pre-order first thing this morning and got super excited. April 2020 though....so far away.

6. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Well, I need to start playing Witcher 3, I got it with a graphics card and haven't gotten into it yet. I've spent a lot of time on ME 2 and ME 3, both awesome games. I think ME 2 was my favorite but 3 was also very very good. Definitely nearing 4 figures for hours played on Skyrim I can imagine. I still found new things in the vanilla game in my last playthrough last year.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Tides of Numenera was excellent, but unlike the classic Infinity-engine games, I can't seem to work out a half-decent build. Something always comes along and causes me grief.

The Witcher 3 is a worthy winner, IMO. I loved ME1, but ME2 left me... bored and 3 I just slogged through for the story.

8. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

There is a strong case to be made that a lot of these games are ARPGs rather than true RPGs. To include games like Dark Souls, Skyrim and The Witcher 3 in a list specifically omitting ARPGs is a little bit odd I must say! Makes me wonder what ARPGs will be in that list?!

You should yes, I put off playing it until earlier this year and honestly wished I started it sooner. The DLC is also epic, especially Blood & Wine which frankly turns a 8.5/10 game into a 9.9/10 (nothing is perfect) game for me.

Tags: Add Tags