1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 2080ti??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j17ypr, 16 Jun 2019.

1. j17ypr

j17ypr What's a Dremel?

Hello
    Finally getting round to building my new PC, using a Silverstone GD10 case - https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=489&area=en

I'm restricted with the height of the case to 5.25". I won't be overclocking the card. I've read somewhere that I should probably be getting a triple fan card due to the cooling of the case. I've always had EVGA and been happy with their cards, but their cards that will fit are all 2 fan designs. The other one's I've looked at are:

ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan - https://www.ebuyer.com/858276-zotac-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-triple-fan-11gb-graphics-card-zt-t20810f-10p

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUKE - https://www.ebuyer.com/857820-msi-g...11gb-oc-graphics-card-rtx-2080-ti-duke-11g-oc

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti GAMING OC + AORUS RGB 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gig...tracing-graphics-card-plus-256gb-aorus-rgb-m2

Any recommendations on any of those cards? Or will the EVGA ones be ok? The EVGA ones I'm looking at would be the BLACK EDITION (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evg...dy-graphics-card-4352-core-1350mhz-gpu-1545mh) or XC ULTRA GAMING (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evg...g-11gb-gddr6-vr-ready-graphics-card-4352-core).

Thanks!

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I'd wait a month or so for Nvidia to release their "Super" branded cards, and either get one of those, or get one of the current ones you're looking at for a reduced price.

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Agreed, if you can hang on a little while it'll do you no harm at all - either in choice or price

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I wouldn't worry too much about the number of fans and focus on the results, when it comes to the coolers on the cards mentioned they can be split roughly in 3:

High cooling performance and noise: Zotac
    Middle of the road: EVGA
    Tweaked for silence: MSI

So where does the Gigabyte one fit? It actually manages to be the "stand out" by offering both good cooling and silence, making it the pick of the bunch.

But as said above, Nvidia recently dropped some teaser about something "Super" coming... so might be worth waiting a bit.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2019
  5. j17ypr

j17ypr What's a Dremel?

Amazing, thanks guys. Itching to pull the trigger :hehe: I'll try and hold off then for a few weeks, and go for the Gigabyte

6. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I have the MSI duke and I recommend it, nice and quiet and close as makes no difference in performance to the nosier cards.

7. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Hit and miss experience with all brands of cards, I'd consider the Zotac stuff assuming they still offer longer warranty periods, there's a weird issue with some of the 2080's (not sure on ti's) from EVGA with the fan motors clicking when starting up.

8. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

I have the standard gigabyte windforce 2080ti. Got it for £999.
    Has samsung memory, so haven't had the micron issue.

Also, with a decent custom fan curve (achievable through the aorus software) it does not sound like a wind turbine. Though my ITX case does have sound dampening stuff which might help. Temps don't get higher than about 75c either. Recommended

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

the FE versions are actually very good this year as well. I can barely hear mine. But yes I'd wait until the new cards which 100% totally do not exists may or may not come out.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That sounds... Super? :winking:

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The FE version is fine, the 2080Ti (like the 2080) is power-limited rather than thermally limited. Even a hybrid cooler will barely eke out a few percentage points gain before it hits the same power wall. No real need to worry about the cooler unless you;re going to get into voltmodding.

MLyons likes this.
  12. j17ypr

j17ypr What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the help. I did have a thought about the EVGA step up program - buy one now & perhaps upgrade (if) when the new ones come out? Or are we thinking the Super may be a while or a myth?!

Is the FE the best one then? I wont be overclocking, I'm just a bit worried about the cooling with the HTPC case I'm using. Looking at the prices, there's now another on offer - MSI VENTUS OC (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...raphics-card-4352-core-1350mhz-gpu-1635mhz-bo) which is the cheapest. The EVGA Black Edition seems to have the lowest clock speed, but does the clock speed matter that much?

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There are some grassy Knowles nearby and I sit next to a window but all I'm saying is wait

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

This isn't like clothing sizes where you can trust none of the companies to get it right, graphicscards are all at least fine, so basically picking which 2080ti to buy is like arguing over which colour m&m is best.

But as alluded to above... could well be worth waiting a bit for the new stuff.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Blue, obviously. Oh, unless you're talking Peanut M&Ms - or the import-only Peanut Butter M&Ms - in which case yellow. Don't @ me.

Anfield likes this.
  16. j17ypr

j17ypr What's a Dremel?

Has anyone done the EVGA step up in the UK?

Is the 100mhz~ or so clock speed that important?