1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus launches graphics card trade-in programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 2 Jul 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Maybe it's just me, but these step-up programmes always seem like a very lazy option when you could potentially sell the card you already own for 1.5-2x the price they are offering.

I know it's inherently less risky, but it still amounts to tangible sums of money.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends on the card, and whether selling to some rando is worth the hassle for the extra you'd get. I did a quick comparison with CEX pricing, which I didn't include in the article in the end 'cos there's so many different bleedin' variants of these things I couldn't be 100% sure I was comparing like with like, but the £270 they're offering for a GTX 1080 Ti is a bit below the £313 cash CEX'll give you while the £35 for the GTX 650 is well above the as-little-as-£9 cash price at CEX.

'course, it also depends on whether you're paying more to get an Asus card compared to A. N. Other manufacturer - could be that it'd work out better buying from someone else and selling your old card to CEX even if Asus' trade-in price seems better.

4. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

Maybe worth mentioning, that this only applies to UK residents.
    I was well excited to trade in my 1070, until I noticed that bit.

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Pretty random selection of eligable cards!

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sorry, figured the fact that only UK retailers are mentioned and the pricing was in Sterling was enough!

7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Trade-in time! Whoo!
    "only selected models are accepted."

Oh. I guess I won't be using this S3 Trio I found in the parts box for a discount.

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

£75 for the GTX 960 in my spares cupboard seems decent... if I needed a new card.

[[edit] oh that was against a GTX 1660 Ti. If I select a RTX 1070, its £105 off...

..or £165 against a 2080 Ti

Yes, I know you said the priceing was variable in the article, but I was a bit click happy and replied before I read it all. :D

Last edited: 3 Jul 2019
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

You would get £125 for an old GTX 730 (against a 2080ti), available for next to nothing on auction sites.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Mind you, Asus' cheapest 2080 Ti is about £175 more expensive than EVGA's cheapest.

"Give us your GPU and we'll waive the Asus tax"

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Evga are doing something similar, but with limited cards that have to be Evga, you get a set amount for the card you want and it's likely to be USA only given the dollar figures.

Tags: Add Tags