1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU idle 54C

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 4 Jul 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

Yes, I switched from the Noctua NH-L9i to a 280mm AIO. The CPU should be much much cooler. AIrflow should be greatly improved as this case is all fans and the middle is opened up.
    I checked some guides and they should almost no difference in fan orientation.

Before and after
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

All of the intake air is getting sucked straight up and out, and the lower intake is half blocked.

What GPU is it? Did I miss where you said?

3. Vault-Tec

Nvm seen it's a 480.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

It seems that not all monitor programs are equal. I didn't like the data from Open Hardware Monitor and switched to CPUID HWMonitor.

I was having more problem before I moved to this case and cooler.
    I now have much more airflow and a much more robust cooling solution for the CPU. However, the gaming is still an issue and I'm not sure if it is the GPU, PSU or something else.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

What setting should I use with Furmark?

I tried the CPU burner. The fans went max for a second and dropped back down.
    Temps are climbing very slowly with 8 threads, making it up to 82C.

GPU burn at default settings crashed around 2 minutes at 79C.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jul 2019
  6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I'm with Andy. That GPU is getting nowhere near enough fresh air. It might not account for the high idle temp in entirety, but it's surely a contributing factor.

The only fan that can get any fresh air to the gpu is the lower front intake, of which half of it is blocked by HDD cages. The PSU will be giving off a little heat too under load, although not too much to worry about at idle.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

While the GPU clearance is not great. The case is designed for it, the 480 is not particularly hot and the issue was worse in my previous case.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The PSU appears to be facing up, so both the GPU and PSU are fighting to draw air from the same small space (and the PSU with its larger 140mm fan is probably winning that fight).

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Looks like it's facing down. If I'm not mistaken that's a Phanteks Enthoo EvolvITX. The grill on top is a part of the case.

Experiment! Try taking the PSU outside of the case to see if that improves GPU temperatures. Then try reversing the PSU so the fan draws air from above to see if that makes a difference. Chance it might help draw air towards the GPU. Outside of these suggestions you could make a more aggressive fan profile for your GPU. Also a spot fan might help matters. It's been a very long time since I had occasion to use one, but way way back I did use an Antec Spot Fan that helped cool the scorching hot RAM on a 680i motherboard. Before using one of those I did go through 2 sets of memory sticks so it did provide decent airflow!

Here's the bad boy...

[​IMG]

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Remove the cooler, fresh TIM and reseat?

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While the cooling might not be perfect:

There must be something far more fundamental wrong... after all it is an RX 480 and when it crashed in Furmark it was "only" up to 78C which is far below temp induced crashes.

Corky42, Bloody_Pete and adidan like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Very true, a 480 should not be crashing at 78C - no gpu should

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

These are my thoughts too, although thats high, thats nowhere near crashing levels! A simple test, reduce the clocks on your GPU by a few 100MHz, if it still crashes its something else, if it doesn't then its the GPU.

14. silk186

silk186 Derp

That's the kind of suggestion I'm looking for.

I don't believe the airflow is an issue. Because it crashes too quickly and did so in the last case.
    Also, it was fine for a year and the problem appeared recently.

Re-time the GPU? Is that needed? I thought that the memory chips would have special tape and what not.

15. Vault-Tec

Not being nasty, but these GPUs were known to be hot and had a poor cooler. That combined with summer could well explain it. A re-TIM of the GPU may help too.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That., plus try swapping the GPU power cable to another connector on the PSU (in case the PSU doesn't like certain connector combinations being used) and also try one of the other GPU power cables that came with the PSU (those modular connectors aren't infallible).

Also just to get back to the temp thing for a sec, look at some reviews, here for example a GigaRGB RX 480 hitting 81C... and that is a brand spanking new review unit and it didn't crash.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2019
  17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, for all of these suggestions, just drop the clock speeds is a quicker test with the same effect. My money is its something else in the system playing up personally.

18. silk186

silk186 Derp

Hmm, re-timing that card sounds like a good idea.
    I don't know much about overclock and undervolting cards.
    After finding the controls in AMD radion settings I made some changes.
    I dropped frequency by 10% and memory current speed by 100.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

When you say the "computer locked up" i guess you mean it just freezes or does it reboot on its own, if it's the former is there anything being reported in the event log?

20. silk186

silk186 Derp

The computer locks up with a solid colour screen and needs a hard reset.
    I've restored defaults and dropped the frequency by 5% and Furmark has run stable for 15 minutes at 81C.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2019
    adidan and Bloody_Pete like this.