1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer's Synapse hit by root certificate vulnerability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Jul 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh goody!

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I miss the days when every piece of hardware didn't come with its own software. :(

4. el_raberto

el_raberto What's a Dremel?

How about the Razer Synapse 2 software that many of us are still obliged to use, hopefully it is free from this idiocy?

Last edited: 12 Jul 2019
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fire up Edge or Chrome, cliky da linky, and it'll tell you if you've got the shared-secret certificate installed. If you see an error, you're good on that front - but might still have a different root certificate installed. You'd have to look in the certificate store to figure that one out.

6. el_raberto

el_raberto What's a Dremel?

Yep, I get the error message so ok on that front but when checking the certificate store, there's none listed as "Razer Chroma SDK" but there is a "chromasdk.io" listed?

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

My last 2014 Left hand Naga finally started dying. I'm sad to lose the ergonomics of it but happy to be free of the nasty "Synapse" software. This just adds another reason not to look to Razer for a replacement.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Article updated with comment from Razer, denying that having a root certificate installed is an issue now the private key (still trivially extractable) is generated per-machine.

Tags: Add Tags