1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Look at most of those in parliament [or congress or your legislature of choice tbh]... that's what lead paint and leaded fuel did/does to you...

adidan likes this.
  2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

we used to play Bulldog most Lunchtimes in primary School, nobody was left out, and everyone spent the whole hour running around like possessed monkeys

Alas the mantra of Health and safety slammed into effect ( basically a kid at a different school fell over and broke their arm and they sued the school, most other schools didnt want to get sued ) and after that most kids in my school just stood around, and would eve GET TOLD OFF for running around on the playground, coz Playing on a playground is apparently bad. Health and safety Claimed so many activities we used to do as kids such as Tree Climbing or climbing frames and even bike riding / skateboarding to an extent, they even banned Conkers without full safety gear ( including full facemasks for EVERYONE and gloves for the two actually playing ) i remember climbing up some local trees because we were told the best conkers were at the top, i cant even begin to think of how many calories i burned

3. veato

veato I should be working

A lot of that stuff gets blamed on the HSE but...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/september.htm

Byron C likes this.
  4. RedFlames

Evergreen comment tbh.

Mostly when someone says 'oh but Health and Safety says...' it's actually 'our insurace says...' and/or 'i'm a jobsworth throwing my weight around, and i'm relying on you not having read the regs and calling me out on it [and there's a not inconceivable chance I haven't read them either]'

I say having had to deal with the HSE and hi-vis ******s on a regular basis.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I used to get my youth rugby squad to play tackle bulldog (no ball involved) during rugby training a couple of years ago, they loved it. No complaints from the parents (in fact it was the opposite, they loved it too) and because it was classified as a contact sport, no elfin safety problems. They did have to wear mouthguards though.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2019
  6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

So did I, in New Zealand, it was brutal!

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

What is this I don't even?!

I genuinely don't know whether to laugh, cry or prep myself for the worst nightmares i've ever had...

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If they don't want them to look like humans just make an animated movie
    If they do want them to look like humans just point a camera at a stage where the musical is being performed

But this "everyone is creepy like that Sonic trailer" really doesn't work...

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Someone on t'internet apparently replaced the music with that from the movie "IT" and said it worked much better as a horror.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Have you got fierce moths where you are?

Arboreal and Fingers66 like this.
  11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Lol, thx, fixed.

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

You're badly informed.
    My daughter left high school last year, during her time the school did bee keeping, had a climbing wall in the playground, did forest school (dicking around with axes, chisels and fire) as part of the curriculum, played conkers ppe free, climbed trees and came home with skinned knees.
    Don't believe the hype.

Arboreal likes this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah a lot of H&S gone mad stories have usually been exaggerated, misreported or localised happenings.

14. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

4 Trains today, and only on one of them did i get a Seat and the Brum / Coventry train was SO packed, it wasnt even Battery hen class, it was all the way to sardine class, when we got to international, we all had to play a human game of Tetris so those who wanted to get off could ( and everyone breathed a sign of releif that some of the giant ass suitcases went, only for the next huge group of people with even bigger cases to get on and you look out at the HS2 construction, and i cant help but feel the money could be FAR better used in a different capacity

Posted this in another forum and someone shot down my HS2 rant saying it was a 'near perfect solution' for the London - Birmignham - Manchester route

i said
    lets be honest, here you could improve so many other Rail projects with the insane funding HS2 is getting, the main bottleneck of the route is the chunk of track between Rugby and Stafford via birmingham. where it is Dual track throught with 15 stops
    big high speed trains only really want to stop a few times through this section of track ( coventry, Birmingham international, New street, possibly Wolverhampton yet have to slow down so they dont run up the arse of the local services that stop everywhere. IMO they should just quad track this whole section so the 100mph servies can overtake the slower stuff. Boom bottleneck eliminated then spend the rest of the Money on adding a single carriage to EVERY SINGLE train on the network ( you might have to extend a few platforms here and there. and BOOM, almost every rail journey in the country has benefited. as for new Street, there are quite a few services that stop in Newstreet then go back south / East again simply move all those OUT of new street and into the new Curzon street to free up capacity... so much could be done that isnt in favour of this massive destructive project that is already over budget...

his response
    'you must be an idiot'

10/10 response

Last edited: 27 Jul 2019
  15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Ad hominem, the one response that proves you just won the argument :cooldude:

tbh, I agree with you 100%. It's not the InterCity routes that need upgrading, it's the smaller commuter lines that need the investment. All around the country, wherever there are commuter train lines, the one unanimous response that you'll get is that they're all slow, overcrowded and late.

16. RedFlames

Except there may not be space to do so. A similar problem was faced by the Tyne and Wear Metro where certain stretches were only single track and couldn't be widened to dual track because there was houses either side of the line. Widening of existing route would also mean delays and closures... and lots of them along the route while the work was carried out. It's also potentially an 'as well as' HS2 or similar improvment rather 'instead of'.

HS2 is a bit an over-priced mis-managed cock-up, but it's a govt infrastructure project, when are they ever not? HS2 isn't a bad idea in theory but the execution of it, including but not limited to the route, is less than stellar.

IIRC this one can't be done because whislt the trains are modular, there aren't many/any spare carriages to add into the existing carriage sets. Also station platforms are designed with the 5-car and 9-car configurations in mind you can run into issues if if you make the trains longer. IIRC they already had issues with the platforms in certain areas where they had to shave bits off the platform to accomodate the new, wider, trains.

What you could do to improve things is reduce the average age of the rolling stock [i.e. get rid of the ****ing Pacers] so you weren't rolling around on **** that was thrown together in the 1970s on a network largely unchanged since the 1870s.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2019
  17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Some of the Pacers are being replaced with refurbished/converted old District line trains.

In other news, according to wiki an operator of Pacer trains was....

Islamic Republic of Iran Railways

No wonder we're not getting along :hehe:

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

It amazes me pacers are still in use, but theres no cost effective alternative.

Round my way theres the comedy that is the Cambridge to Peterborough corridor being opened back up. they want to go from a train an hour to five. these mainly go through smaller villages and will lead to the level crossings that cut through them being active around half an hour, every hour.
    This and adding faster services and electrifying the lines, oh and the want to widen it.
    Problem being existing buildings, planning permissions that have been approved etc plus residents unhappy a train line goes from a quiet country line to a main line. Which I totally understand so they are now on about having a load of tunnels, flyovers and even I saw the idea of an underground train station being batted around.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Am I the only one who quite likes the Pacers? Not for commuter routes, don't get me wrong, but there's something rather pleasant about bouncing along a rural branch line in one.

20. RedFlames

There's no cost-effective solution to any of it. No incentive for the franchisees to put hand to wallet thanks to how the franchises work [why would you willingly spend tend of millions on new rolling stock, only to have to hand it all over to network rail when the franchise ends?], and govt is all in favour until it too has to get the chequebook out.

...are you ok? Is 'I quite like the Pacer' some kind of distress phrase?

Gareth Halfacree likes this.