1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 9 Aug 2016.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

To be fair, that was prior to their offices being flooded out and nearly all their equipment being destroyed (LOLbackups, apparently).

Mr Happy likes this.
  2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

NMS BEYOND comes out on August the 14th 2019, it looks SO GOOD! I am excited!

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The developers have done a fantastic job at sticking at it with this game, the progress in the last major update was great and this one looks like it'll take the game to a whole new level.

Really interested to try it out with the Vive and to see more people... just hope the expansion of the multiplayer doesn't come with hackers and griefers, or if it does that we can easily turn off and go back to solo/friend-only play.

Hex likes this.
  4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

They really should have held out and released it as it was in the last major update - as much as it looks like a proper "complete game" now, the damage was already done for a lot of people...

5. oscy

oscy Modder

NMS was nearly everything I expected/hoped and a huge jump in the 'explore the pretty space (and here's some trading because Elite)' genre from the X series.

All it needed for me was a main story campaign and some set pieces. Maybe more interaction with inhabitants and aliens, but I was already impressed with what they focused on and might've been asking too much.

I don't know if the updates really add anything for me (as far as I know it's VR, multiplayer, customisation, and a plot but no one's talking about it and it has grindy missions so it probably sucks), but I was always going to intend on playing it again.

6. Hex

They couldn't. Sony contract meant they couldn't delay it any more than they had.

7. suenstar

There's a nice interview with Sean Murray by IGN that goes over the developments for NMS Beyond, you can tell how passionate he is about the game as he talks about it all.

boiled_elephant and Hex like this.
  8. oscy

oscy Modder

Sean Murray is the adulterer who actually changes and saves his marriage and is now giving lectures in prisons on how to make something of your life.

9. suenstar

I have no idea what in the world that is supposed to mean... are you drunk or something?

10. oscy

oscy Modder

I don't need alcohol to party!

Sean Murray became the villain. But he has redeemed himself with great effort, which not many saw coming. Once a cheater, always a cheater, right?

11. Hex

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

However they could have used the millions in preorder money and Sony bribes to hire a few more devs rather than staying a tiny team and there would have still been enough change left over to buy a ball gag for Sean so he couldn't go full Molyneux every time he smelled a journalist.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Throwing people at a problem may work for AAA dev where your bottleneck is asset production, but No Mans Sky's problems were almost purely programming (and not just due to the procedural generation system) and core game loop design.

Hex likes this.
  14. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

bring on the VR baby, cant wait.

Hex likes this.
  15. suenstar

Debating on unpacking and setting up my Vive to try out the VR, I was going to get rid of it but if the VR in this is decent then I may keep it a bit longer.

Hex likes this.
  16. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

If i was to base VR just on NMS i would say get rid, but its a new update so maybe i am being a little unforgiving. i dont really want to play anything else at the moment though.

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It looks like Elite: Dangerous but with more fun, more colour palette, more stuff to do on planets - and hopefully less ganking.

18. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm still trying to remember how it all works. I played all the first week, but never played it again until now. All my amazing stuff was obsolete tech and my awesome ship is allegedly 'C class'.

I daren't trade it in though as I have 4 linked hyperspace drives that can't be moved to a new ship.

And I have over a million credits and no idea if that's a lot or laughably small now.

19. suenstar

I've been enjoying getting back into the game, the Artemis missions have been keeping me fairly busy.
    The game is still a bit of a grind in the early stages, but I've never really minded spending time gathering resources.

A million isn't too bad for starting out, you don't need heaps of money if you're focusing on the story missions.
    If you do want quick and easy money to top up your balance then I'd suggest practising a little bit of dog fighting and then scout around space for the low threat bounties, at 100k a pop it isn't too bad. The missions at the Nexus station pay better but they're a little bit more time consuming.

Alternatively, aim to get all the best upgrades for your scanner and scan everything and anything available on a planet... that money stacks up really quick.

20. oscy

oscy Modder

I suppose hypderdrives aren't important if you're not really going anywhere in particular. I got plenty of slots in everything even if they're 'C' grade, especially with my multi-tool. It's just deciding which elements I should keep and which to sell now that they all seem to have some purpose.