1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays micro breakings of sound or image while playing a video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 8 Aug 2019.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi guys...
    As most PC issues are particular cases, related to the wide range of hardware we own, different for everyone, it happens that a Google search can quickly give you headaches, and I'm experiencing this with a very comon issue: micro breakings during the playing of a video file.
    I already spent quite a long time tring to fix that bug, and looking for tracks on forums with no success, and I am almost sure that there is a very simple explanation for this, but I cannot find it out.
    I consider the computer as the best way to manage multimedia files, I very often see people, building an HTPC with a simple Rasberry, and I don't understand why I have problems to play properly a movie with a high end computer, but it's a fact...
    I have read so much about it, realising this kind of issue is very common but has many different sources, so the basic information to consider should be the user's hardware configuration, however, I have a strong feeling that in my case, there is a special tuning or setting to fix it, I already noticed several clues to understand it, but I am blocked here.
    Like I described in my previous post, this computer is displaying on 2 led TVs, both 1080p, each of them linked in HDMI to a pair of XFX R9 290.
    I use the smallest TV as the main desktop, the wider screen is used to play videos.
    The oldest and smallest TV is a Toshiba 31", the newest one is a LG 37.4"
    the bug affects the sound, it breaks for a second or two, and goes back, but also the image sometimes, some big squares of muddy pixels appears, blurring image for a second, then it's going right for 10 mnts and starts again.
    I thought about the refresh rate, but both are 60 hz, the maximum value.
    then I thought about the file caching of the player VLC, but even increased, the bug appears still.
    I tried other players, no changings.
    Of course, the bugs appears if the video file is read from one of hard drives, but also if it is copied on the SSD system disk, and even if there is no other hard drives plugged on.
    I do not understand, I hope you will help me

2. kim

kim hardware addict

no replies this time, but I found the explanation, so simple again, sound card latest driver...I feel like a dummy...

3. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

I am happy if I don't feel like a dummy once a day

My wife once asked me when I was super stumped on a problem "why dont you ask on the forum" (whatever forum it was about) and I replied "cause I will figure out before anyone responds and feel like a dummy"

her response was ... "least you would have figured it out"

Vault-Tec, yuusou and kim like this.
  4. kim

kim hardware addict

I am sorry to write this...but the problem started again after the next restart...:waah:...don't know what to do again...I also wanted to add that it also bugs the same way when playing music , not only with videos...and now it's even more often, like every 5 mnts....sound card wins again:sigh:

Last edited: 11 Aug 2019
  5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The only thing I can think of as I had a similar problem is WiFi interference.

In my case it was the interference caused by a Wireless remote and the WiFi adapter which were both using the 2.4GHz band and one or both were poor quality.

6. kim

kim hardware addict

You're mentioning about interference...and I agree that this is the first thing that I experienced in terms of annoyances with my new sound card, originally, I only had ground humming issues, buzzing, but Vault-tech suggested me to add a ground loop isolator in this post:
    https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/random-buzzing-from-new-sound-card.359651/
    and it worked well, until I bought the new R9, changing slightly my configuration, I started to have issues with sound once again.
    In that previous post, I start by saying that all these troubles came out after the original sound card, sold with and for this unique motherboard, died; I thought the new one was kinda similar, as based on the same sound core, but problems started. So you may be right with interferences, but I have a strong feeling that it is linked with the compatibility of sound card and my MB, may be both :grin:
    I have also the plan to buy an external sound card, linked by USB, in case it solve this problem, it could also free this PCI slot, in a way to update with a PCI M2sata adaptor for exemple...or also, use the HDMI output as main device for sound playing, and link my TV's to a sound amplifier and speakers (my screens are TVs)
    to be continued anyway...