1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Yeah cargo/loose/utility. Anything else is a nope. Need to see if I can get into some Levi twisted, they may work.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tsohost can **** off... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way off...

Their email hosting has been ****ed and unusable for nearly a month now and all i get out of them is - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ...the web hosting isn't much better at this point.

Trying to find somewhere else that ticks the boxes and isn't stupid money a month...

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Summat must've gone astray with my last RMA submission... re-submitted & actually got confirmation from AMD this time.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Had to transfer more money to the missus to cover her car payment... Now up to £275 for the month, which leaves me (therefor, us) with £80 for the rest of the month - And she's still expecting us to go to the Edinburgh Fringe festival this weekend for a week.

Okay, get planting those money trees you're obviously hiding...

Honestly, a crack habit would have been more financially sustainable.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2019
  7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Cold, windy & noisy... due to windows being replaced in the whole flat as part of our blocks' "post-Grenfell" cladding replacement...

8. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Dude, I only say this because of my own experience but be careful here, I absorbed so much of the expenses and debts in my previous relationship from 5 years ago, I will finally be paid off this December.
    Money issues affected my mental health so badly, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I won't pretend I know you're relationship dynamics but you may need to draw a line on inappropriate expenses.

All said with care, good luck

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Oh there's no two ways about it, she's just about the most financially irresponsible person I've ever met (excluding her dad, which I guess is where she gets it from) - part of the issue is that she spent most of her life in a uni setting (with 2 gap years thrown in), so a majority of the money she had wasn't earned, it was through student funding, grants or her parents bailing her out (then me) - the other issue, and the one that's led to most of our money problems now, was her having a really rough pregnancy and not working for pretty much the entirety of it (I can't blame her for that, obviously).

She's slowly learning the value of money (through the good old fashion "hard way"), and she is about to go back to work to finally earn her own again, but it's taken a toll on our plans and put us back a couple of years.

I have a rough "tab" on all the money I have sent her, it's at about £5600 over the past 2 and a bit years. How much of that will I get back? Who knows, but I have made it clear that a significant portion of her salary in the months leading up to Christmas is coming my way to cover the short-term damage she has done to my bank account.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Attempting to beat the world record for Cinebench with the EPYC system. I'm 300 points away and can't work out how to get the extra perf as the tool i wanted to OC the system seems to not work

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

[​IMG]

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I'd suggest you guide her through having two bank accounts. Work out what her direct debits are etc and put those on one account, with a £100 no-fee overdraft or something.

Then have a separate, spends account, with no overdraft.

Make it clear that she pays £x on pay day into the direct debit account, £y to you, and £z remaining in the spends account are hers to spend on whatever. Once it's gone, it's gone.

IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

This is how I managed my own debts and how we manage out household now, we split all bills equally but tend to spend on each other at our own will but no obligations, if she wants me to go to a concert I'm not too bothered about she has to buy both tickets etc

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

That's how we will most likely approach it in the coming months, but as I say, the last time she earned an actual salary (she gets money every now and then from dance teaching, but it usually just about covers her bills for that period) was January 2018 - since then I have paid 100% of the household bills, anything between 20 and 100% of her monthly bills, my own commitments, all the birthday/Christmas/wedding/anniversary gifts and anything to do with baby... Well, me and my squad of credit cards.

I've made it fairly clear that she isn't getting any illusions of going on a spending spree when her first paycheck comes in - she can finally realise the situation i've been in for the past 20 months or so (earning money but seeing nothing from it). I fully expect there to be grumblings about it, probably tears and full-on tantrums too, but the quicker we catch up with ourselves and and the more she contributes to that cause, the quicker she can enjoy some to herself.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You don't try to consider "your" money (or at least part of it) as 'ours' instead of all mine/yours?
    So for bills etc, it's just 'our' money, from a joint account or something, and then each having their own personal account for genuinely personal things.

Only recently gone to that system for myself but it seems to be working (with me working and my fiancé at uni so I'm putting more money into the joint than her)

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Ain't I a lucky sod in that sense. Me and my wife are both relatively frugal, perhaps her more so than me. We occasionally likes to indulge but always with an eye on the ball.

Being without a job made me feel bad about indulging myself, but fortunately that should be over soon.

I'll finally be able to pay back the in-laws for the money they lent towards the car I crashed (and somehow compensate wife as she was the only one working and with money).

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

IIRC, the old saying goes "What's yours is hers. What's hers she keeps."

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

"What's yours is mine; what's mine's my own...!"

19. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I mean, in fairness I had a joint account setup with the ex this way, and all my and her bills were on the joint account, and we had one each. But money was still managed horribly in that relationship *shrug*.

Still, it works for me this way at least!

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Had to sell my pc stuff for bills. Feelsbadman.jpg.