1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ⭐ "Something wooden" watercooled a little now

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by P43YM, 30 Jun 2019.

?

Oil or Stain+Oil?

1. Oil

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Stain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Houston. Wood is only available in national chain stores. It's common to get a supply of whatever was knocked over in the last hurricane. Anything not pine is oak, and warped from being leaned against a wall.

2. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Good evening, everyone! Small update: Unfortunately I absolutely have no time lately. I changed my job a week ago ... So ... But my project is alive! There is 2019 outside. So what is the main thing in modding in our time? Yeah IoT integration! I decided to integrate my PC into my smart home system. What will I get from this? Well, at least some reaction from my home when I turn on / off the PC. PC can be turned on automatically when a particular scene is selected. And most importantly: You know when you have become bored as f*** from the PC and you decide to lie down on the sofa, and now you lie comfortably and then you realize that this piece of garbage should probably be turned off ...

In a great time we live: When you come up with something, you need to google it first. Most likely it is either already available in open source or produced in large quantities in China for 1 cent apiece. So a big thanks to the letscontrolit community for their “espeasy mega” firmware.
    I took a nodemcu v3 board, ds18b20 temperature sensors, an oled screen on ssd1306 128 * 32, addressable ws2812b LEDs, and other stuff.
    With temperature sensors, I will measure the temperature in the case. The temperature will be on the screen, as well as additional information (I still do not know what yet, lol). I will turn the pc on and off with a transistor or an optocoupler in parallel to the standard button, I will receive a status based on the voltage on the pin for the power LED.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The board will be connected to the internal usb port, the firmware allows me to control it via the serial interface too, this is cool.

And yes, the dumbest trend of recent years is rgb. So I did it too, because ... Because I can, I think. And I can blink it when something happens in the house.
    [​IMG]
    Still need to configure the system itself. Create rules ... Damn, i need more time!

Last edited: 9 Jul 2019
    Cheapskate likes this.
  3. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

I also wanted to measure the current flowing in the PC, maybe even separately for each line, but the ADC in esp is some kind of a joke, so I’ll probably use an external ADC for this

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jul 2019
  4. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:thumb: Each piece of metal called pc should be modded :grin:
    Great work so far :clap:

I voted for oil.

P43YM likes this.
  5. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Small update: While I was working with electronics, there were rains outside for several days and my wooden parts bent a little, but a little voodoo magic and prayers to God and everything was fixed (Actually it was a heatgun).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Done!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Preparing a case for primer now
    [​IMG]

Dot_Kappa likes this.
  6. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Light coat of primer for galvanized steel on opened galvanized steel parts, done.

[​IMG]

Hm, i guess i need to repaint my home too.

7. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Should be something like that
    [​IMG]

Or maybe Hulk smash!
    [​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  8. Cheapskate

NO HULK SMASH! NOOO.
    :lol:
    The oil did magic on that panel. It looks great.
    Your tongue and groove log house looks sturdy as hell.

9. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Thanks, yeah this board looks great and oil enhanced it a lot

It's funny that you mentioned my house in response to this particular message. For several weeks my wife and I selected the color of the house using the exact same method as with the case above.
    Here is how it looked right after painting
    [​IMG]

10. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Acrylic primer and matte black alcyd-urethane paint. The first time I paint is how real adults do. With air compressor and spray gun. Damn! Compared with spray can it is brutal! I made a lot of mistakes, but I hope that I can fix them later

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jul 2019
  11. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

12. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

The most difficult part of writing a project log is to pretend that you know what you are doing, lol. And now I'm a little stuck. A kind of dilemma: whether to continue with my old hardware or not to waste my energy on it and just buy a new hardware a little later, but the project will linger a bit. And also I'm not quite sure what I will do with the internals. I have several different ideas, but I will need to practice, I have never done this before.

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You can't tell. You're doing a great job.

14. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Thanks.
    I will probably go with the new hardware and this will give me time to work with the interior.

Arboreal likes this.
  15. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Disclaimer: don’t ask me why if I can buy it in China very cheaply these days, I don’t know. And not for that we are sitting here to buy things. A week ago, I was sorting out the old trash in the garage and stumbled upon a broken air conditioner
    [​IMG]
    and was about to throw it away, but ... wait a minute ... What is it inside?
    [​IMG]

Hmm, copper tubes with a spiral notch inside and aluminum fins. It seems like a 17-18 FPI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And ... I just can’t throw it away and I began to think how I can use it. Obviously, this is great for water cooling, but for this I need to modify it.

The first choice of course is: buy copper plates and solder the chambers for the radiator. I went around a lot of shops in the city and did not find any copper plates at all ... Damn!
    The second option: acrylic sheets, which I will weld together and ... there is no acrylic glue in the stores ... ahhh
    Let's go from the other end: I have a lot of acetone, with it I can glue the abs plastic together, which means it's time to blow dust off my 3D printer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dissolved pieces of old parts in acetone to make glue. I polished the tubes, treated the inside of the chambers with acetone and glued them to the radiator.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since the size of the printer is less than the size of the necessary parts, I glued them together with my glue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I painted the radiator with my favorite organic silicon paint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I need to paint the rest. And finish the logo backlight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I'm sorry for the not-so-good photos, I did everything late at night in my free time

And by the way, I bought a motherboard

[​IMG]

16. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

been a while since I've seen custom rad work. Nice job. The painted steel and wood pair nicely.

17. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Thanks dude. This radiator is more an experiment than a practical device. Still need to test it. At first glance, our main enemy here is the coefficient of thermal expansion, or rather its different value for abs and copper. Perhaps when heated, the abs will detach from the copper tubes and water will start to leak

P.S. I still have an outdoor ac unit in the garage with a huge radiator inside. If everything goes well with this radiator, then I will probably use it later too.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2019
  18. arduum

arduum Minimodder

19. Cheapskate

That's brilliant. :D
    I'd watch the radiator closely, or set it up so it doesn't leak on anything important. Some of my old copper blocks were sealed in a similar way. Even with glycol in the water the copper corroded in little veins under the sealant. It took about a year, and only made a slow drip, but it leaked into my power supply. :lol:
    I wonder if you could make the end cap fit O-rings. :idea:

P43YM likes this.
  20. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Oops!

I could, but I welded them with my glue to the chambers. If I understand you correctly