1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Know them feels, it very much feelsbadman.

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

3. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I have a meeting with the heads of HR with regards to poor performance, which will inevitably lead to a warning. There's literally nothing I can do to improve my performance considering the hugely unstable nature of the data we have to use, and the vagaries of the dialler. The irony is that having been made aware of the fact that I'd failed to hit target for the last 13 weeks, I was going to speak to the call centre manager about the possibility of transferring to a non-sales role. I guess I'll moot it as a possibility for the meeting. Either way, not a fun time

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This is how we manage our money as well. We have separate personal accounts and whatever goes in those accounts is yours to do wtf you want with. Everything else is all in separate joint accounts: there's one emergency savings account, for those "oh sh--" moments; one "regular" savings account, which is basically just stuff for the house or indulgences like takeaways; a separate current account for shopping, so that we can't overspend on groceries and eat into our money for bills; and another current account which is for bills and bills only. Our wages get paid into the bills account and that account is budgeted and reconciled to the penny.

It's taken me a long-ass time to start managing my spending better, but I'm very happy with the situation we're in now. After taking control of the budget properly I realised earlier this year that we could pay off all our debts completely within a couple of years if we were more disciplined about it. It's already working - one fairly large overdraft is already gone, and one of the credit cards will be gone by November. We've got about 2 years left; when we get to that point the money we'll have left at the end of every month is staggering.

I just wish it hadn't taken so much hardship and debt before I finally started taking control of the situation.

EDIT: I realise I might come off as a bit smug or self-satisfied here, but that really isn't my intention. All I guess I'm trying to say is that you can't bury your head in the sand when it comes to money and debts - the sooner you (or both of you, depending on the situation) start facing up to it the better. I was never taught this, not even by my parents, so don't be afraid to ask people for help/advice with managing your money if you need it. It's so rewarding to finally have it under control.

IanW, Wakka and GeorgeStorm like this.
  5. RedFlames

Sounds about right... I kept getting bollocked for not typing after call reports fast enough... part of the interview was a typing test, they knew i was a slow typist when they took me on...

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

When I was a team manager in a call centre, I had a guy in my team who's aht was at least twice the target, partly as he was pretty slow after the call, but also because he was so dam thorough and friendly on the call itself, but he would always get 100% on quality. We tried a lot of things to get it down, but in the end I just said sod it, you're one of the best people anyway, just carry on and I'll take the flak off my manager.

7. RedFlames

In my case they sacked me...

...then sacked my TL a couple of months later when the team's stats tanked, and they had to explain to the higher ups why they'd just sacked the guy with the customer satisfaction [and a few other stats... as well as the only one with any relevant technical knowledge].

8. The_Crapman

Yeh didn't work for me either, but we a small part of my constant battles against the retarded cocksucking ops manager. Although the 2 people they had to replace me with did a STELLAR job. I also wrote all the procedures and training manuals, their first task was to do a small training session on when to report fraud as 'internet' and when to report it as 'mail/phone', as some had got confused and the client wasn't happy as it was cocking up their reporting and affecting their fraud detection rules. So they did a little slide show and handout with some screen shots, taken from an actual customer account with the card number and all their personal info on which was great, did this presentation to lots of small groups over about a week, I got to go in the last one. They waffled on for ages about the importance of getting it right before getting to the actual process itself and when they did, they got it the wrong way round.:duh::hehe:

I was very polite about it, put my hand up to speak before informing them of their mistake. Their faces were PRICELESS. I stood up and went to leave and they said to sit down as the presentation wasn't finished. I explained to them the pointlessness of the remainder seeing as it was wrong, left and headed straight to the ops manager and could not hide my delight while telling her about the cock up and how all the reporting this week would be wrong. It was the best moment I'd had in a looooong time.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

A few years back I did the stats for the team, collating all the ticket data and putting into nice easy to view tables and charts. Was about 50 people take 30-50 calls per day so a decent amount of data.
    I had it pretty automated managers got weekly break downs on analysts scores etc which fed in from call and ticket quality scoring two others did.
    It was that effective I was back doing calls when it got busy as it would usually just need a new data extract plugging in.

Anyway, I got asked to do another project so did a hand over to someone. few weeks later I got asked to review the data as it didn't look right. Long story short it wasn't he had been tweaking it by removing or editing formulas I had put in to boost his and his friends stats. What brought it to their attention was the sudden improvement of people who were consistently poor.
    All that happened, he got a slap on the wrist, the whole system got binned which was gutting after all the work I had put into it and I was told off for not locking down the document. It was in fact locked but I gave him the passwords as part of the handover, as I had been instructed. He's now a team leader and I'm still an analyst.

10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

PC gone, bike gone... Heck, if I knew the "right people", I would be a kidney short too by now.

11. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Checked my savings and £500 was withdrawn May last year.... Counter Cheque withdrawal and I certainly never made it! the book is in my name so nobody has access besides me.

Infact the passbook was stored in my parents safe well away from my hands.

A investigation note has been put on the account, I now have to go into branch and have them investigate, I'll probably have to leave early to make sure I get there in time.

I don't need this today....

edit: called them, they're going to try find who the cheque was paid to by contacting head office, I'm pretty sure I'm screwed either way given the timescale, I just didn't expect to find someone had drawn out cash with no ID or anything!

Last edited: 15 Aug 2019
  12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Food poisoning.

Mum and I had chicken on Tues before I left to come home. I nearly cacked myself in the taxi, ran up the stairs and spent all evening on the toilet. Yesterday was more of the same.

Nothing yet today but still feel weak and rough.

13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

If someone at a bank has authorised money via a cheque and hasn't done security checks you might be in luck, plus it's a savings account, people don't check such accounts daily. Good luck

DeadP1xels and MLyons like this.
  14. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Hope so... it was part of some money left to me by my grandad when he passed last year.

Spent a whole bunch of time soul searching as I really didn’t want to chuck it against debt, it been earmarked as deposit money, but logically in order to rebuild my credit enough for a decent interest rate mortgage and free myself this is the best thing to do.

Having budgeted for every last penny and how best to use it, having a bit taken out is a real kick in the teeth. Hopefully I can get it back....

15. The_Crapman

Feel really ****ing awful today, not 100% sure, but might be as I stopped taking codeine as of yesterday evening, having been on it for several months.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As you have been taking an opiate painkiller for long time, probably best to wind the dose down slowly.

17. The_Crapman

Ah yes. That may have been sensible, but having not had any for 24hours now I might as well just carry on.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

My brain and an overdose of air, you know that outdoorsy type stuff and not the kind with all those mind balancing exhaust fumes.

Seriously, today everything i write and/or think seems to be alien, disjointed and/or jibberish.

Bugger, it's just dawned on me. Maybe the air is just making me see clearly and this is how it always is.

:worried::lol:

19. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Where's the 'Dislike' button, to agree with this as a life ruiner...?

adidan likes this.
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I think you are just thinking more clearly. I live in the countryside and the "relatively" clean air is great but, when I go into a town the air stinks horribly and gives me a headache. I could do with a gas mask in Taunton and that's a small town compared to somewhere like Bristol or bigger.

adidan likes this.