1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man....I can't decide - 3700x or 9700k?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neilc, 18 Aug 2019.

1. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

I only play games with a 1080gtx at 3440 x 1440, so generally always GPU bound - and don't really do fast shooters so not fussed about the highest possible frame rates.

Thats about the only thing that stresses my computer, don't need loads of cores for compiling/rendering or anything of that kind.

I'm ordering tomorrow, and have thinking to go with the 3700x, but I've always built with intel, and man it's feeling strange to jump to the red team - please someone tell what I should do?????

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

If you're not fussed about FPS and you're not a heavy (CPU) user then I'd say the decision is simple: whichever is the cheapest combo (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Cooler).

EDIT: here's a question: do you or will you overclock?

3. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

Well there is £1 difference between the 2 combo's!

I wouldn't overclock the AMD chip as most youtubers have said not much point. I would overclock the intel cpu, as thats part of the fun I guess.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

and what would your future plans be? You're upgrading now, when would you upgrade in the future?

Neilc likes this.
  5. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

Good question - won't plan on upgrading for another 3 - 4 years, Will upgrade the GPU in a couple of years I would think.

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Then I'd say get a 3800X.

Neilc likes this.
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

If I was upgrading to a new platform, I'd go for X570 Zen 2.

Neilc likes this.
  8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This is a classic Bit-Tech answer :grin:

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Personally for the last few years I have leaned toward power consumption and noise, which in turn is related to heat. Therefore I have stuck with Intel so far for those reasons. I don't overclock and game little but have been thinking about Ryzen for my main rig (currently an i7-8700) which is used for work, browsing and occasional DVD ripping/handbrake etc.

The only thing stopping me is how much it would cost me to change from my current main rig to AMD, plus the fact that more power consumption equals more heat therefore more noise - I am a bit of a silence junky.

Given you are on Haswell (going by your sig), upgrading to Intel or AMD will give you a performance boost either way, so it really boils down to cost IMHO.

Neilc likes this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You see i've been mulling that over but i'm leaning more towards a 3600/3700X and B450 and switching up to AM5/DDR5/Pci-e 5.0 on the presumption they'll all happen together in a few years(?)

Plus also, cheapskate.

Edit: But yeah, the X570 (it is an x570 bundle right?) gives you more options over the next couple of years @Neilc , and if it's a gpu upgrade in that period at least it has you covered for pci-e 4.0 (no idea when we'll see a 4.0 gpu but there has to be a reason it's included surely).

Tricky though, you won't be disappointed with either. At 1440p you'll feel a gpu effect before one of those cpus feels it (hopefully not too soon as i want to hold onto my 1080 a while longer too :happy: )

Last edited: 19 Aug 2019
    Neilc likes this.
  11. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

ok thanks all for the help and advice - have gone with AMD :)

Digi and adidan like this.
  12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Reminder:- If the motherboard is not X570, it'll need a BIOS update before it recognizes the CPU.

adidan likes this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Oh very much this.

Unless the vendor has done it (or you get them to) or it's an MSI Max board (although I think only the Tomahawk Max is out at the moment).

14. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

Went with x570 so going to be fine. I wonder how many people got caught out by this?!

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's happened enough for AMD to restart their old "Loaner CPU" program