1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Pair of Velohooks from Feedback sports

[​IMG]

Foam tiles to make it a bit more comfortable in the garage when I'm working, sticky stuffs crap i have something for it instead.

[​IMG]

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Just me... or is that not a bit too much stress for those rims?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I believe the idea is you mount it so the other wheel remains on the ground and takes the weight.

4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

No; you're NOT chopped liver (I hate that f***in' expression, already), but weigh the straps first...

5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I'd turn 'em 90° & have one at each end of the top tube, but...

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Rims have a lot of strength like that. It's lateral pressure that will screw them. It's like breaking eggs. Have you ever tried to break one from the top to bottom? it's very hard unless you come at it sideways... I would also surmise that the bike hanging from that rim weighs about the same as an air sandwich.

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I love that you quoted the wrong post... :D Not sure Id wanna hang any bike by a single wheel, pro-spec. weight or not.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's... that's not how you use that expression.

I doubt the scales are accurate enough for the weight of the strap to matter. Guess I'll find out when it arrives - see if it can actually register just the strap hanging off!

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've done it for 30 years in the same sort of fashion and no bikes were ever harmed.

legoman likes this.
  10. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

So; it's a "Yiddish" rhetorical dismissive (which is a put-down, however it's sliced)...? To my Asperger's thinking, a pre-emptive strike was still 'required', as no suggestions I make are intended sarcastically, however 'thick' they may sound.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

TIL.

Those scales look a value buy tbh.

There are also rainbow straps in our house somewhere, super useful for spotting your bags at the airport in amongst all the bags with rainbow straps...

12. Gareth Halfacree

... What?

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Indeed, and as Vaultec mentioned its fine, one will be sat on the ground the other a bit higher up. they fold better with the bikes attached, not that i'm expecting much in the way of being able to fold but it all helps. Rated to take 22.5kg my heaviest bike is only 13.5kg so this should be ample.

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

What for experimenting with rib recipes on my smoker over the long weekend;

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  15. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Put simpler; a response of "What am I, chopped liver?" is, to me, the same as STFU/keep your input to yourself, so I chose to defuse its' use with a "not required to a rhetorical reply" reply; it's how my brain works, so "sue me".

My options from here on in are to NOT offer answers to your requests for advice, for fear that I'm too lowly for any advice I may have to be worthy of your consideration.

16. Gareth Halfacree

...What?

The idiom "what am I, chopped liver?" is "a semi-serious expression of frustration, anger, or indignation at having been overlooked and/or regarded as inferior." For example, when I write an article saying "X has happened" then someone comments "X has happened," I'll likely respond using said idiom to light-heartedly point out that they'd ignored my earlier contribution - thus (but not really, because again it's intended in a joking manner) making me feel "overlooked and/or regarded as inferior."

It has absolutely nothing to do with being given advice, or ignoring said advice, nor does it tell the recipient to shut up: it, as the definition makes extremely clear, conveys the message of "hey, you've overlooked me or treated me or my contribution as inferior and that kinda hurts my feelings." I've never used it in response to being given advice (because that's not how the idiom is used), though I may very well have used it when someone has asked for advice, I've said "hey, you should do X" then someone else says exactly the same thing - because, again, ignoring what I've written and just repeating it as though it's your own suggestion would make me feel "overlooked and/or regarded as inferior."

Not too sure what your problem is, here, but you've clearly got the wrong end of the stick. The wrong end of an entirely different stick, in fact. It's possible it's not even a stick; I think you might have the wrong end of a teapot.

For the avoidance of doubt: according to the search function, I've used the phrase exactly four times: once in reply to you when you repeated advice I had already given in the article to which you were replying, which is, I'm assuming, what has had your goat for four months; once in reply to @adidan for having said "I'd not heard of" a topic I'd written about earlier (again, in a joking manner, 'cos I don't expect everyone to read everything that's ever posted to the site); here I linked you to the definition I've again linked you to because you apparently still don't get it; and literally in this thread. Well, I guess when I hit "Post Reply" there'll be a fifth result, too.

Does that help make things clearer?

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Dude, it doesn't mean any of that, don't worry.

Take a look at @Gareth Halfacree 's link to my post - it's a phrase that can be used to highlight if somebody has been overlooked, like i posted about something I thought was new that Gareth had already written about some time ago.

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Even in retrospect - as the link was in the article - I took the reply as vitriolic (even personal); my problem, no-one else's but your dislike of my input is irredeemably cemented in my thinking.
    Like I said - my problem & my options in respect of your content remain the same.

Supplemental: I live my life not needing to be liked; if I am, it's a bonus... but at the same time I don't intend to be objectionable.

19. Gareth Halfacree

I have absolutely no dislike of your input whatsoever.

Well, I'm not a massive fan of this particular input right now, but generally speaking I have absolutely no dislike of your input whatsoever. The reply was in no way personal, nor was any vitriol intended: the phrase, as I keep attempting to explain, is used to indicate that the recipient has made the utterer feel overlooked and/or insignificant - but, typically, in a light-hearted fashion. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it with malice aforethought.

As for my dislike of your input, which is wholly imagined, being irredeemably cemented in your thinking: doesn't sound like there's much I can do about that. If my posts offend, might I suggest the Ignore option? Just head to my profile page, and hit the Ignore option at the top-right:

upload_2019-8-21_12-4-27.png

Easy as that. To assist, I'll do the same for you: that way I will literally never reply to any of your posts again, because I'll never see 'em. Not what I would call an ideal solution, but certainly an effective one.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Jeezo, this is all a bit unnecessarily dramatic. Everyone just go and have a nice cup of tea and just chill.

DK63 likes this.