1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Buying a 2080Ti from CeX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirty, 21 Aug 2019.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Humour me.

As I understand it, when someone sells a GPU to CeX it should be tested, although there is only so much a quick test would show up. So there's the risk of the odd lemon making its way into stock.

They sell the 2080Ti for £880, but it could be anything from a Founder's Edition or EVGA Black up to one of the more exotic models with an RRP closer to £1,400+, it's a lottery.

I don't know how easy it would be to return a faulty/undesirable model as I've never had to deal with CeX like that before, but do we reckon it's worth taking a punt in the hope of getting a really good deal?

Full disclosure: this card will be run at close to 100% 24/7 for up to 2 years and will not be used for gaming. They offer a 2 year warranty.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I know people who've returned stuff to CEX no bother, but I've not done it myself. Maybe buy on a credit card, then you've Section 75 behind you if CEX proves awkward.

3. Shirty

Presumably PayPal would offer similar protection?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not so much, no. Definitely buy direct with a credit card.

5. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

Any time i've had to return stuff to CeX it's been hassle free, though it's never been in the £800+ bracket :p

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've returned a couple of items to CEX without any hassles. They've been pretty good all round.

As above, they weren't high value items but it shouldn't matter. I don't know where you'd stand if a card died after 18 months of 100% load - it's a tall order trying to claim it's acceptable use, although I don't know how they'd be able to tell.

Sounds like a risk- free loophole for miners/folders.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Same for me, bought numerous older GPU's and CPU's for my retro builds from there. Had no issues either returning in store (bought online) or via the online returns process (you get provided a free return label).

It should be noted however that different stores clearly have different approaches to "testing" hardware they receive. I have had numerous older GPU's arrive Dead which, whilst not the end of the world thanks to the guarantee, is still annoying (especially if the card in question was either hard to get hold of or the only one they had in stock).

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

CEX is where you take your electricals when you know you will get busted selling them on Ebay. AVOID.

9. Shirty

I ended up getting a new Asus 2080Ti Turbo (it's going in a Node 304) elsewhere for £875, so I'm a happy chap and never needed to darken the door of CeX after all.

Thank you all for your input though, may it serve others with a similar question :thumb:

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Sometimes people buy expensive stuff they can't afford, when the next new boiler bill comes up or the rent needs paying they sell stuff.

It's not always a dumping ground for crap, I've sold several phones and GPUs that were in perfect working order before.

With their warranty it's pretty much a zero risk issue.

If the item is the same money on eBay I'd rather risk my money on cex than roll the dice with an eBay seller

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I've put a lot of stuff through Cex purely because I'll use voucher credit to buy other stuff that I object to paying full whack for, like Apple gear, money CEX give when you are using it there is better than dealing with ebay/paypal fees and some people on here :p , all my gear has been decent just surplus to my requirements.

The gear I have bought there has been fine.

12. SpyderBombz

SpyderBombz What's a Dremel?

I bought a CPU from CEX online. It arrived loose in an envelope. Literally no padding etc. Obviously it went straight back.

I personally would sell to CEX but I would avoid buying stuff.

13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

It seems to depend on the sending store.

I have received CPU's as your have, in a brown paper bag loose in an envelope and others in what only be described as fort knox levels of bubble wrap.

With the 2 year guarantee and free returns (either online or in store) there is little risk in buying from there and receiving a broken item. Certainly less than say Ebay.

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Maybe for you. CEX is where I take pretty much everything once I build up a pile to offload in one trip instead of faffing around selling things individually.

15. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

brought 2 I5 2400 cpus from the site. packaging wasnt the best but its been nearly 2 year with one of them seeing 70C+ often (dell optiplex sff has odd fan profile) having no issue. Saying that i do remeber one of them was dead when it arived, no issues returning it. I would have thought anything of value would be tested alot better than a £35 CPU.. well if it was tested :idea:

16. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I bought a GTX 980 from the Port Talbot one the other week for £130.
    Turns out it was an EVGA SC version...seems fine so far..well pleased.

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Well its not all great news.

Need to pop to my local store this evening to return the "GTX 295" I ordered which turned out to be a Quadro NVS 295....

Apart the numbers in the name the cards are only slightly different.... :duh:

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

GTX 295 - that was a hot beast of a card. I had a lovely mirror-finish full cover block for it.

19. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Oh yes! I was quite looking forward to messing around with it and adding to the collection of dual GPU cards I have.

Less interested in playing around with the NVS 295...

Additionally when I returned it to my local store I got a glimpse of why it was taken in as a GTX 295. The first person I spoke to couldn't see the problem..... (you only have to look on their actual website to see what I was holding was not a GTX 295..).