1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice X58 upgrade path

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr Meltdown, 24 Aug 2019.

1. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I am a tightwad, I never break the £60 CPU budget whenever possible and since S775 it has been used xeons.

With that in mind I want to upgrade from my Asus P6T6 WS / Xeon combo. I have an 8 core X79 setup ready to drop in, it has been ready for a very long time, but I find reasons to procrastinate. I have a 16 core v4 ES xeon that needs X99 but the boards are silly money and I only have some ecc DDR4 that some boards dont like. But I do fancy running NVME SSDs. I game at 60fps on a TV so extra fps is pointless on my GTX 1080.

So with that in mind (my tight CPU budget as I can not fathom spending £100s on a CPU anymore, been there done that back in the day, plus wanting to be a bit more up to date with storage tech and more cores etc) what are my upgrade options on a tight CPU budget?

I have nvme - pci-e adapters coming but likely cant boot from them. I also have my old dual xeon board and some 6 core CPUs, if i can get nvme working I could see me going back to that.

Cheers

2. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

IF it were me ... I would sell the x58 & the X79 on ebay ( as they go for stupid money ) sell the CPUS for ... peanuts .. and the RAM!!

See how much you make out of it ... buy a cheap/half decent B450 & pick up either a silly cheap Ryzen 5 2600 and 16GB Ram .... while those CPUs are still selling around the £110 - £115 mark.

Convert your old system into a modern system without spending much money ... if anything at all.

I checked 1 store online ( CCL ) You can get a Ryzen 5 2600 / B450 Bazooka ( great board btw ) and 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz for £270 delivered.

I bet you could easily raise that and more by selling what you have.

Just my 2 cents ofc.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2019
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

4. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Correct, I get satisfaction having the cheapest fastest processor in my computer, if it is under £20 all the better. It is likely a false economy as I have a pile of xeons here that would have cost me the same as a very nice CPU but i like to tinker.

Selling stuff on ebay is a pain in the ass these days as all the weigthing is in buyers favour and the £1 selling offers hardly even tempt me to bother, I should, but christ is it ever worth the ball ache?

Upgrading not worth it? I entirely agree which is why I have stopped at the X58 for so long plus the Asus WS board has SAS on it. My recent upgrade to SSD has shown the way to go, I dont do anything useful on it and as said already extra fps will be pointless on a TV so i dont really need more grunt, just responsiveness, so extra cores and faster storage.

I've looked at the chineseium boards and lack of bios support means hit and miss and as i want to run an ES with ecc I am limited to asrock which are at silly price levels, Or Es without ecc then evga, msi, some gigabyte, supermicro but may need messing about with microcodes.

Selling it all and going ryzen is probably a sensible choice, but when they were dishing sensible out i was awol.

5. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I agree!! I missed the common sense boat aswell , by the looks of things its never coming back either!! However i do like to tinker , and i do like to recycle old parts whenever possible ... as most of us do. Looking at some benches from youtube the X5660 is still really competitive in gaming which ... is surprising for an 8 year old set up. And those CPU's are going for as little as £12 on ebay ... which is just nuts!!

6. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

8 core xeon 4640 for £18 (in the x79) unlocked 1620v1s are super cheap now as well but i want cores. 1620v2 are not unlocked, been there done that.

Just bought some mislabelled x5670s for very silly money so can put 2x in my dually board. It has 2x 3.06 4 cores in at the moment and not willing to spend the £50 to swap those out for x5675s (it wont run higher tdp chips). The x5670s were a fraction of that.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I think I spent around £700 upgrading from X58, which for me (back in early 2017) was X99, a 5820K, and 2400MHz DDR4, all of which I still run without any desire to upgrade again. I could have waited a little longer to get first gen Ryzen, but I'm glad I didn't.

I'd echo the advice that Ryzen is currently your best option given how much it has come down in price since it launched, and the variety available really takes the cake.

I spent several years on X58 and I was reluctant to part with it, because it's just so damn good. So I get where you're coming from. :)

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I recently did a R5 2600 B450 and 16GB ram for just over £200.

I used to like messing with older x58 x99 kit but seriously such performance can be had from so little outlay its not really worth bothering with.

9. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

X99 bundle incoming.