1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Vent away dude, better here than in your head is my general policy. :thumb:

My postings indicate how little goes on in mine. :happy:

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Was idly looking at odds for no-deal Brexit¹, and found PaddyPower was doing a no-risk £20 bet for new customers: sign up, deposit £20, bet it, if you lose you get the £20 back as cash - which you can immediately withdraw, none of that horrid "leverage x100 to withdraw bonus amount" ridiculousness. Never one to turn down the chance of free money, I signed up, dropped £20 in, and bet it on the first thing on screen: Prissy Missy in the 13:45 at Chepstow.

Then I found a sister site, Betfair Exchange, doing the same offer. Fair enough, sign up, £20, let's go for Carmel in the same race.

*Then* I found another site doing the same for a £10 bet. Hokey-cokey, £10, Beignet. I've now got a to-win bet on each of the three favourites in the same race.

There are only four potential outcomes here: I get £88 back (£38 profit); I get £83 back (£33 profit); I get £114 back (£64 profit); I get my £50 back (break-even.) In the latter case, all I've lost is the ten minutes it took me to sign up and however long it'll take me to withdraw the refunds.

'course, they're hoping I'm going to go back and gamble some more afterwards - but they'll be hoping in vain. I'm perfectly happy to gamble with their money, not so much with my own!

¹ I have a thing I do sometimes called "consolation betting." If there's an event I don't want to happen, I'll pop some money on it happening. If the thing happens, I get some cash to drown my sorrows; if it doesn't, I'm happy 'cos I didn't want it to happen. Haven't done it on no-deal Brexit yet, but I'm tempted.

EDIT:
    Found another site offering £5 no-deposit free bet, instant withdrawal on the winnings. So, I'm now covered for the four favourites in the race: Prissy Missy, Carmel, Beignet, and Full Spectrum. 'cos it's a totally free bet, this one doesn't affect the returns on the others - but if Full Spectrum wins I get my £50 total stake back plus £35/40 (it's not clear whether the £40 return includes the £5 free stake or not, so let's say £35.) Happy days.

EDIT EDIT:
    So... turns out there's a way to make it so I literally can't lose. Including the no-deposit free bet, I had bets on four of ten horses (the eleventh isn't running.) If I throw £2.50 each on the remaining six, I'm putting up £15 of non-returnable capital... which is less than the £33 lowest profit I have projected.

Result: I now have cash on every single horse in the race, and the absolute worst-case outcome is I make £18 profit. Best-case outcome is... I think an £85 return on one of the outsiders, *plus* my £50 original stake back - so that's, what, £70 profit? Thanks, gambling sites!

Last edited: 2 Sep 2019
  3. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Cigars, various rums and my beautiful goddaughter blowing me kisses

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Prissy Missy, the favourite, was the winner - and for some reason has returned £70 on my £20 no-risk bet. Ignoring the rest of the no-risk bets, which are going to be refunded, minus my £15 stake on the outsiders (nearly paid off, one of 'em was in the lead for most of the race), and I walk away £35 better off. Good enough for a bottle of whisky, that!

Thanks for the free money, gambling industry!

IanW, Arboreal and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Today I learned that there is such a thing as a "caramel tree". The Japanese Katsura tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) actually smells of caramel. There's one in the park in Nantes. When you stand under it, you can smell caramel everywhere.

It's straight out of Willy Wonka's chocolate garden. Somehow the world seems a slightly better place for having such a tree in it. :)

Arboreal and perplekks45 like this.
  6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I just finished a hard and slightly painful workout. Now I'll have a relaxing hot bath. Gods, I needed that.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

A friend popped over earlier and reseated the ribbon cables on my daughter's iphone 6+ screen that had been playing up. A screw was missing on the metal cover plate, which we found on a scrap phone and it all works 100%, no new screen needed.
    My son's Polo that ran out of oil on the M3 last week, seems to be fine with a top up of oil and a replacement set of injector o rings.
    The oil is staying where it should so far.
    :thumb:

8. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I can rest safe in the knowledge that I'll be ringing in sick on Monday, and hopefully getting signed off from my current employers for an indefinite period of time, and get much better antidepressants to allow me to cope with my situation at work/give me a clearer head for my new employers if I get a job.

9. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Ouch... when I hit that level I never recovered - wishing you better luck than I had. :thumb:

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The universe told me to buy a lottery ticket, and I did, and I won.

I was in a shop saw a sign "must be won tonight" or something like that (I guess it's rolled over too many times?), and for the first time in a looooong time, I thought, hey, maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket.
    I then overheard a conversation at the till at what seemed like an unusually high volume talking about picking their numbers or something.
    I left the shop without buying a ticket, got home and thought "oh yeah, I forgot to buy a ticket"
    Seconds later, my phone popped up with an alert, having never seen it before, notifying me of the draw tonight (last night)
    So I went online and bought a ticket.

And I won.

A lucky dip.

But even so.

Vault-Tec and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  11. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

A win's a win... :D

12. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I've been here before, a little over a year ago - the more things change the more they stay the same... I'm just hoping I get help to level out my moods so I'm not so quixotic and changeable. Some time away from my boss would do nicely too...

13. adidan

CPU and mobo due tomorrow.

Though i'd be held up waiting for the cooler that was due to come this wednesday but apparently it's turning up today. :thumb:

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Not being in withdrawal like a junkie. I would have moaned about it, only I was too busy sweating, puking, peeing out of my bottom and feeling more suicidal than I have ever felt. I really thought I was dying.

So, let this be a lesson to every one. Those pills the docs are handing out like sweets (Pregabalin, don't take anything before you do your research*) are hellishly addictive. I could only really liken it to heroin withdrawal, only I never took that crap for a reason. What I do know is that there needs to be an enormous shake up with regards to Pregabalin. They gave it to my cousin after a sit down mower removed three of his fingers supposedly for "the pain" though I can vouch, it does nothing to relieve pain at all. Now my cousin is very hard headed, so when I poked him to see if he had stopped taking them he muttered "No, my fiancee doesn't like it when I try and stop". What he means is they are terribly addictive. Like, horribly so. And they hand them out as a cure all for anxiety, depression, social disorders, pain, back pain etc etc.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy. So here comes the *. When I went on them I was told nothing, and no evidence existed on what they even really do. However, since being on them for the past 7 years or so I have seen all kinds of bad videos about them and a lot of negative press. IE - heroin addicts now take them so they don't feel like crap on come down. FFS. Then there was a video I watched (BBC, IIRC) where they were talking about the epidemic of them in Ireland, and some guy was literally opening them up and shoving them up his nose.

And I can vouch, the withdrawal is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever had to endure. Worse than being run over by a car and spending 3 months in hospital. I literally thought I was dying, and was very close on two evenings to committing suicide because of the utter pain I was in.

Thankfully it's starting to subside now (after an entire month) but yes, I will never go through that again. I think my heart would give out. Also, if you have Bipolar treat the depression and to hell with the mania. For god's sake, don't take any of the crap they give you for that. They either make you fat and rocket your blood sugar, or they destroy your liver or give you skin necrosis. I'd rather be round the bend that go through any more of that.

So yeah, here is to being alive.

Arboreal, adidan, IanW and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Quick update on this: everything went as it should. Everyone who promised to refund my losing bet as cash refunded my losing bet as cash, all the withdrawals have come through, sorted. Happy days.

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

17. adidan

All work and no play G, at least put any axes out of reach. :worried:

[​IMG]

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  18. Gareth Halfacree

Did a quick tweak to correct for the bit of the mount that hides behind the front of the frame.

frame-final.jpg
    Didn't bother resizing the active window decoration, though, and while you can't actually tell it's now slightly larger than the rest of the screenshot I know it is and I'm probably going to have to fix it...

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'll be gainfully employed again come October. Which will be nice.

20. adidan

Stage one of the upgrade complete.

Current rig dismantled and my old gtx 570 popped in and back up and running.

Was chuffed that i had semi-organised the 4 ssd connections so i, by some miracle, reconnected correctly in my old case.

Plus i found a shuriken rev b laying around that fits in the old case and is idling the 3770 in the low 30s.

Only downside is the old lian-li case, i forgot it liked to shred my hands :)

Stage 2 tomorrow when i can finally put the Zen 2 rig together. Windows key will work or it'll stay watermarked, it's only for gaming anyway and i want to see if the gsync/freesync works on my monitor.