1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Got my money coming back to me, just shattered my phone beyond any hope of working. One step forward, three steps back.

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Or, you was always destined to break your phone and fate was being lenient and gave you some compensation.

It's how I deal with set backs or I'd just loose my mind

3. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Being forced out of my house to go to work by my mother with tears streaming down my face. It's so depressing, I'm losing my voice and I'm so close to just calling in sick and getting a paper for stress.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Have a gardener here today and there's been a bit of an oopsie.

[​IMG]

Hopefully I've got someone coming this afternoon to make it safe and secure - that's the first priority. If this was my house then I'd call my insurance.... but I rent, and that's gonna make it a lot more tricky.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Does your gardener have insurance?

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh they should have liability insurance. Any pro with a petrol powered rotary catapult needs it.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah he has liability insurance [EDIT]: Redacted... this is a public forum after all... ;) [/EDIT]... The main thing is to get it made safe and secure - i.e. no risk of the glass panes collapsing and causing damage or injury, and making sure that it's secured (as much as possible) against break-ins. Hopefully we'll have someone here this afternoon to sort it.

It's most likely stones or stone chips that got caught in the mower or the strimmer, so it could have just as easily been me that did this. It's not an uncommon thing to have happen. The landlord is almost certainly going to have to claim on their insurance - ours wont cover it because it's buildings damage and someone is going to have to pay to repair it. It's things like this that make me glad for all that time I spent working in home insurance; I've got a lot of experience in third-party liability and subrogated recovery claims.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2019
  8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Definately making it safe is the priority, I walked through a similar sized sliding door when I was 10 years old, in the 70's before safety glass was mandatory or common, 33 stitches to my left arm, damage to artery (I nearly died from loss of blood) and permanent nerve damage to a couple of fingers.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Done well to shatter both panes though. We had to have ours replaced years ago after finding out the entire fitting was not secured. As in you could just lean on and push out the entire outer frame.
    To be fair it made getting the new sofa's in a doddle.
    But yeah boarding, the glazing on those is usually order in but being a standard size its usually pretty quick.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

:jawdrop:

Oh my god, that's awful... I've experienced some of the issues that can happen with non-safety-oriented household goods, but it wasn't nearly as bad as what happened to you... (Kettle full of boiling water, long power cord dangling over the edge of the counter, and an inquisitive four-year-old me with grabby hands... Still have scars from it now, and I have bald patches on my head where no hair has ever grown - the hair follicles there are totally dead).

11. GeorgeK

That's alright then. I suppose the bonus here of it being a rented property is that it's someone else's problem (after you get it boarded up of course).

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh no, hell no, this won't be over when it gets boarded up, [EDIT]: Redacted... this is a public forum after all... ;) [/EDIT]

Right now, as far as I'm concerned, this is a managed property and all the repairs need to go through the management company - that's exactly what I've done. [EDIT]: Redacted... this is a public forum after all... ;) [/EDIT] Right now it's a security and safety risk, it's in my interest to sort the immediate problem and we do have a savings pot for "oh sh**" moments like this.

If this was my property? Simple: call my insurance, have them deal with both emergency and permanent repairs, and give them the details of the gardener's liability insurance. It's up to my insurance company then to claim the costs back from any liable third party - if they can't, for whatever reason, then I get to bear the responsibility through my home insurance premiums. Which is exactly what the landlord should do - that's how these types of claims are dealt with because that's how insurance works, it's called a subrotaged recovery.

No, I am expecting an uphill struggle with this, I expect to be fighting and chasing this one for a while. If the worst comes to the worst then I'll get my landlord to hold me legally liable for getting the damage repaired (in writing) and I will deal with it on my own insurance as a liability claim. I know this particular home insurance product very well.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2019
    IanW likes this.
  13. GeorgeK

Oh. Not good. Thankfully I've only ever rented one place which was owned by a landlord who basically passed all responsibility for everything over to a management company who did whatever we asked of them and then sent him the bill. Think he was an ex-footballer who was a bit oblivious to what they were charging him but just was looking for an investment opportunity.

I'll wish you good luck - sounds like you're going to need a bit.

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well if it makes you feel any better, B (though maybe not) I found out my old landlady now has a prohibition order on the property and it's still empty. She's desperately trying to get the people in the top flat to pay £16k to repair the roof but they don't quite feel like it. It's like WW3 over there I do feel bad for my old neighbours tbh :( Still, it just goes to show that if you fight small victories are to be had. I bet she wishes she'd never met me now. 7 months is over £4000 lost.

Arboreal, fix-the-spade and IanW like this.
  15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

i) I bet you're glad not to be there anymore.
    ii) Seems housing services were as unimpressed with your landlady's behaviour as you were.
    iii) From far away I bet it's qute amusing. Go on, you can admit it to us...

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

As you say I'm just so glad to be out of there.

Turns out the flat above mine was being used as a weed farm too, and apparently stunk really bad. The owner had to have the locks drilled just to discover the place had been trashed.

I swear that building has a curse on it. All of the owners are at odds, meaning nothing gets done because it's a shared freehold and they all need to agree. Which they won't, given my landlady has already sued two of them. Now? It's a total quagmire.

Karma is most certainly a bitch.

Arboreal and IanW like this.
  17. legoman

The "kids" in the office moaning about getting old. I got very confused looks when I mentioned you used to be able to smoke in pubs, think I melted their little minds.

The_Crapman, IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Smoking in pubs wasn't even that long ago, it was only... oh wait, 12 years ago! :grin:

19. legoman

My point exactly! Pointed out to one of them here I used to be able to go down the shop get a ten deck (B&H Black) go to the pub get a pint (of bitter) and pork scratchings for less than a tenner.
    Not sure what shocked the more, the prices or being able to smoke.

Byron C likes this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Still some places I know where you can get a round for 4/5 people for just under a tenner. Usually they're working men's clubs, so technically a subsidised private establishment, but handy if you know members.