1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How much are these collectors wow expansions worth still sealed ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kuroidoragon, 4 Sep 2019.

1. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

I am not sure where to ask or if I am even alloweed to ask here or even if this is the best place
    I do not wish to get into trouble or cause any grief if I am wrong if this is against the rules please delete this post that is okay with me or please move it to the appropriate setion

I have a collectors still sealed edition of both World of Warcraft The Burning Crusade & Cataclysm but I am trying to find out what they are worth

is anyone able to advise me ?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This is one for the Marketplace, really, but I've some good news: a NOS Burning Crusade Collector's Edition sold for £350 on FleaBay last month, and a CIB unsealed one for £200. Cataclysm's not worth as much, but has sold for £100 and £130 recently.

As a pair, you could probably get an easy £350-400 if you find the right buyer. Maybe a bit more if you split, but there's the risk you'll be left with one of the two.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  3. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

I can't see the market place if thats a section on these forums I am not a very active poster so I don't have access to it
    but cheers for the feedback

also what does NOS & CIB stand for ?

4. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

to me its not worth the paper the box is made with, to some nerd that lives and breathes that stuff its worth a small ransom.

that's the problem with collector garbage, its only worth something IF someone wants it, and since its a collectors edition, MOST of the people that would want it, already bought it cause it had two extra words printed on it

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

From my understanding:
    NOS = New Old Stock = obsolete or no longer available on retail, only of interest to collectors.
    CIB = Complete In Box = Everything included (manuals, discs, artwork, etc)

kuroidoragon likes this.
  6. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

cheers

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nearly, but not quite: NOS stuff means it is exactly as it was originally sold, in the original packaging and completely sealed. The "old" part does, indeed, mean that it's a discontinued product, but it's not only of interest to collectors: if you want a given discontinued thing for any reason, and you've a choice between second-hand and NOS you'll likely want NOS (assuming it's not All The Monies)

But, yeah: NOS is never-used, still-sealed, travel-back-in-time; CIB is unsealed, might be used, but everything's still there.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  8. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

any ideas on the worth (as I also have)

unsealed so might be used copies of

Original base game (collectors)
    Burning Crusade (collectors)
    Lich King (collectors)

will be a lot less I am sure but good to find out still

9. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

99 cents at the thrift store

10. suenstar

If they're unsealed but still have everything, they they'd come under the CIB category that Gareth mentioned, so may still be worth an good amount to the right people who like accumulating collectors editions of things.
    If they're missing anything, then the value will drop quick a bit as quite often collectors like to have complete packages.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  11. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

ok so will have to do a little basic reasearch to find out what the contents of the boxes should be to make sure everything is still contained within

12. Gareth Halfacree

If you're lucky, and assuming the game keys have been redeemed but they're otherwise complete, £50-100 each for Burning Crusade and the Lich King. For the original base game, it depends on which version we're talking: this version recently sold for a tenner; this incomplete version sold for £345; this one with everything intact went for £510.

Shame it's not still sealed, though: this sealed one went for £1,080.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Unfortunately, retro gaming (as much as it pains me to use the term for something like World of Warcraft) has been picked up by the collect-for-collection's-sake crowd now, and prices have gone nutso as a result. Used to be it was mostly gamers with a handful of completionists and perhaps one or two speculators; now it's people who only really care that they have A Rare Thing That Nobody Else Has and are willing to splash to cash to say so. It's the exact same thing that happened to the comic book market - in fact, a lot of 'em have moved across from the comic book collectordom specifically 'cos they were able to snap up equally-rare if not rarer stuff for a fraction of the price.

There's a piece on Kotaku about it 'ere.

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You need another 144 posts to be able to access The Marketplace.

16. suenstar

There's some game collector pages on Reddit that may be worth looking and enquiring at, they may have some interested people.