1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Why oh why did I buy another Asus product, I know better I keep saying to myself this morning "you know what the stuff is like, it's expensive tat that never works properly"

So the issue I was having was that, I was getting bad pings in games and also needed some extra Ethernet ports for devices that I needed to provide a wired connection to for testing purposes.

I thought well the Asus routers seem to get good reviews and they have enough ports for everything.

So I buy an Asus RT-AC88U router, connect it up and find oh boy my pings are stable and my connection is fine.

About 2 weeks after buying it I noticed one device lost connection via Ethernet Port 6, tried a different cable and it worked again, then some of the other devices lost connection on different ports so I bought all new cables and everything worked fine.

Then this morning not just one device lost connection but 5 devices lost connection, and I thought it's not the cables, it's got to be the router.

I logged in and well all the devices are detected but ports 3-7, the router is detecting them but refusing to allow them a connection.

I thought well that is strange, let's reboot it and see what happens, a minute or so later it's rebooted and now only 3 devices have no connection.

Off to google I go and after 20 minutes of searching, I find someone suggesting just "unplug the affected connections from the back of the router and plug them back in"

I thought no way that is all it is, but I gave it a try and low and behold everything gets connections straight away.

So now I need to look at getting something where that is not required, because although it's a simple fix to get things connected again, the devices that are connected for testing purposes need a solid connection, and they had that before when I used a switch but that meant that my pings in games were bad at times.

Well now I need to look at a proper switch that can support not only 1G connections but since I am going to be buying a new switch I may as well connect my 2 pc's via 10G so that I can transfer files between them faster, so it's not going to be a cheap switch.

As for Asus well they are well and truly out of my mind for future product purchases, I really cannot be bothered dealing with such poor products from a company that should be making products that are issue free.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I presume that ASUS has different divisions and use different OEMs for different products - for example I've had no issues whatsoever with ASUS motherboards (I'm on my 4th or 5th different model now I think) or ASUS laptops but I had no end of issues with ASUS networking gear. I had a ASUS router which would randomly drop all connections before then reconnecting. Problem was that my file server firewall would recognise being reconnected as actually being connected to a new unknown connection and mark it as a public connection thus blocking anything from actually accessing the files on it... I also had an ASUS PCIe wifi card which worked great for about 2½ weeks before just totally failing and never working again. Thankfully I just returned that one to Amazon for a full refund.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Look for a gigabit switch with two 10G uplink ports. Uplink ports can still be used as actual device ports if you prefer.

Like this for £166 https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-10-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B076P9CTSD/

Netgear for little switches like this is hard to beat.

Mister_Tad likes this.
  4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I saw that one earlier when I was looking but unfortunately I need more than 2x 10G uplink ports.

I need 2 for my 2 pc's and then will need another for BB connection, currently on a 300Mb connection but not for long and 1G port will not cut it.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

What modem/gateway/terminal and router will use be using that supports 10GbE?

Seems like the cost of either of those would dwarf an entry level (£350-500) 10Gb switch anyway

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Waiting to have conversations with certain people but possibly will have all kit that I need provided, or I will need to buy my own at which point they will point me in a direction and I will look at that stuff.

I still need to find out though whether I am going to need more than 2x 10G ports, because if the plan falls through then the one linked above will be fine.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Other half's dad has been in Hospital since Saturday, was diagnosed with urosepsis on Monday. Turns out the sepsis is just a symptom of another underlying issue - part of his bowel has fused/joined with his bladder.

On top of first week of her going back to work, first week of baby being with childminder, show run coming up next week and our current living circumstances... she's struggling.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

More of what's been ruining my life for the best part of a year. Had my outpatients appointment with the surgeon for my hernia operation this afternoon. I've been eagerly anticipating it to find out what horrors he found during the operation, what butchery he discovered from the first operation I had last November which lead to me barely being able to move. And he found.....

Nothing. And by nothing, I mean he could find no mesh from the prior repair. So either a) they didn't repair the right side at all, b) they attempted a repair on a severe hernia without the use of mesh (seriously ill advised and contrary to everything I've been told c) the mesh they used was so small it would never have worked and is M.I.A.

Also the surgeon confirmed that when I went to the doctors in the weeks and months after the first operation still being in horrendous pain and STILL PRESENTING SYMPTOMS OF A HERNIA (ie. bulging of the groin when coughing), this is not normal after a hernia operation and I should have been referred immediately. I mean ****, I should probably never have been allowed to leave the hospital the state I was in.

So, can anyone recommend a good solicitors for medical malpractice?

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Other than your ambulance chasing 'where here's blame there's a claim' types... sadly not...

10. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Buying a limited edition ChocoTaco hat, waiting 6 days for it to be delivered.
    As the dog watches me play PuBG or sits with me watching ChocoTaco when he is streaming, I thought I'd show him.
    Left for work this evening after taking ownership for less than 8 hours, the dog has destroyed it :miffed:

Real world problems for sure

11. RedFlames

'Act of Dog'

KayinBlack and Bazz like this.
  12. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've just spent the best part of the last hour dismantling and cleaning a fan controller that I rediscovered in the loft with the view of using it in my rig - only when I was finished and putting it back together again did I realise that it's for 3 pin fans. And in my PC I have exclusively 4 pins fans. *sigh*

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

My pension statement came through today, I wonder why I even bother.

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Plan to go out in a blaze of glory on your retirement day, then you won't need to bother.

fix-the-spade and Bazz like this.
  15. fix-the-spade

Buy a mid range Porsche and do hot laps of Stelvio until I get it wrong, or should that be WWWROOOOoooooooonnnnggggg......

Last edited: 15 Sep 2019
    Mr_Mistoffelees and The_Crapman like this.
  16. RedFlames

My retirement plan is currently/still to die before pensionable age...

Weekly_Estimate and Pete J like this.
  17. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

22 days at work without a break. Tomorrow's a day off and store closed.

Not because my bossmans wouldn't allow a day off. Someone's gotta keep the store running and I'm the only one currently there who has the experience required. Reached my limit couple hours ago and I'm in the process of getting drunk. Violently.

I personally read through CVs, chose people and invited them for an interview. Guess how many showed up.
    Two. Yes, you read that right. Two. 2. Zwei. Två. Duo.
    First person would have had a very long commute, think hour+ one way. Second person to show up had a very good reason for being incommunicato for a while, guessing same reason came up again. Can't go into details.

Why the hell people apply for jobs, agree for an interview and never show up? Are benefits that good in UK?

18. fix-the-spade

Nah, people really are just that dumb. I have lost track of the number of people who apply to work here (an Opticians) that are either squeamish about eyes (at an opticians) or computer illiterate (at an Opticians).

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Woke up at 0600 with what appears to be food poisoning, if anyone was wondering where the news had gone this morning. Going to have a crack at it now, so be gentle if it's riddled with typos (I mean... more so than usual.)

20. RedFlames

I think i had what you had...