1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Fair point.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

[​IMG]
    Notice the hand

adidan likes this.
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So with the law being passed saying Boris must ask for an extension and Conservatives still seemingly insisting that we're leaving on the 31st, along with the chance of getting a new deal seemingly very low, anyone want to take a stab at how they're planning to take us out on the 31st?

What trick are they going to try to avoid asking for an extension if they don't get a deal through parliament.

5. RedFlames

Say 'stuff the law' knowing there's probably little actual recourse for anti no dealers to stop it?
    Poison the relationship so severely that the EU says no to any asked-for extension.
    Hope corbyn caves and there's a GE.
    Resign and have it be someone else's problem.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In complete seriousness if they try that I can see Boris becoming the first PM to ever be dragged out of the Commons in cuffs.

I also bet that if that were the case the EU would find an excuse to extend the deadline anyway. But it seems the courts may be ahead of them, or there will be some little known contingency that allows someone like The Queen or The Speaker to do it on the Government's behalf (no doubt written in World War 2 in case Winston was killed or went missing abroad or a bomb hit the commons).

I'm sure someone's got a plan, after all, it's two (literally) second class students running the Conservatives against an entire army of lawyers. Bet that Classics and that History second are really paying for themselves now.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Crashing out with No deal in defiance of the law is the only way to actually leave on 31st October 2019.

If there was a deal:
    Realistically speaking the first day for Parliament to vote on a WA (regardless if a new one or the May variant) would be on 21st October.

There is no way in hell the UK could go from "no clue if we will ever leave at all" to "actually leaving" in just 10 days... so a technical extension to pass supporting legislation, arrange bailouts for companies etc is inevitable if there is any deal.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I have to say I'm completely flummoxed as normally it's pretty easy to guess what a politicians next likely political move would be but in this situation i have no idea, is Boris really going to renege on his promise to leave on the 31st do-or-die.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Simple practicality.

EU meeting on 17 - 18th, 19-20th is weekend, so if he made true on his "new deal at EU meeting" speeches the vote in the HoC just wouldn't happen before the 21st.
    And until the HoC has said yes to something (or we crash out) we simply don't know if we will ever leave at all and given how short the time is between 21st and 31st...

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently Far-right-age is calling for 'treason trials.' For once I'm in absolute agreement with the plonker: how's about we start with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson for having, as found by the Scottish court system, literally carried out an act which prima facia would fit the definition of high treason - and let's bring his advisors and cronies in to boot.

11. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Wouldn't surprised me that Fa rta rse would say something like that. The far-right has a history of absurd reverses like the Spanish Civil War - Nationalists rebelled against the legitimate government however they put the charge of rebellion to officers and generals that refused to join the uprising..

12. RedFlames

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

14. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Revoke is now their official policy. Personally I don't agree with it. Should be 2nd referendum first and I'm a remainer.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm perfectly on board with revoking A50.

It doesn't matter if there's a second referendum, the damage is already done and it's only going to get worse the longer this goes on. Let's say there was a 2nd ref and the result was remain, do you think the people who are frothing about "getting it done" now are going to be mollified by that? We're already at the point now where we apparently have an overwhelming democratic mandate for a hard no-deal Brexit, despite the fact that even arch-Brexiter Nigel Farage was claiming in 2016 that Brexit should be a slow and careful process and that no-deal would be a disastrous outcome. And this is without even getting into the more important debate that this country is not a direct democracy and that our MPs are representatives and not delegates - we elect our members of parliament to do what they think is in the best interest of not only their constituencies but also what is in the best interest of the entire country.

No, cancel the whole lot. Let's first worry about the fact the Tories have thrown this country into almost complete disarray and are systematically tearing apart and underfunding vital public services. Let's worry about that for a while and then we can start having wider conversations about what kind of relationship this country really wants with the EU. The people who are loudly unhappy now will still be loudly unhappy even if the result of a second referendum is 99.99% remain; the "willowthepeeple" and "but sovereignty" arguments were already complete horseshit as soon as they were first made, so they'll just find something else they can be loudly and publicly upset about.

Fingers66 and Nexxo like this.
  16. RedFlames

Tbh even if you're in favour brexit you should be on board with it...

What is on offer isn't what was promised. HMG under May and Johnson have ****ed it up so spectacularly the only sensible option for any kind of workable brexit is to accept it's not happening at this moment in history, cancel with the aim of leaving at a later date when the UK side actually has some kind of ****ing clue of what it actually wants and has actually had an honest conversation about that sacrifices and compromises any chosen brexit entails.

Nexxo likes this.
  17. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

So to resolve the situation is by aping the no deal/no referendum parties. And what if Swinson fail in her task (winning 308 seats remember), the situation still rumble on anyway and ending up even more messy and convoluted than before.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Lib Dems will never have a majority, we're in a 2-party system like it or not. The best they can hope for is another coalition.

Even if we revoke A50 then of course this isn't going to go away. That's my point: the damage has already been done; if you drop a brick on your foot the answer isn't to go get a hammer and smash your foot repeatedly with it.

19. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I reckon I got the answer. Just get this guy in and play some bass from Primus, all is good.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

In leaver folklore it's told they can be spotted in Farage's bog. ;)