1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Do I have this right?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 30 Sep 2019.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK this is a bit confusing.

So I have a 4k TV. However its old 4k 24hz IIRC. Because of this my Xbox won't run at 4k.

So, I was wondering about this thing here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XOLORspace...ocphy=1006538&hvtargid=pla-760363519137&psc=1

So is that what I would need to set the Xbox to 4k 60 and then have it basically squash that image down with all of the 4k detail to 1080/60hz? Is that what that thing does?

I really don't have a jar of glue, but I'd like to get the 4k detail without replacing the TV because it's a huge fantastic TV.

Thanks guys.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

Could you not sell your 4K TV, most people won't know about 24hz ect and just look at 4k and size.
    I would guess that even a more recent 4k used would be a major improvement with 60Hrz and likely better image quality.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I suggest NOT looking at LTT youtube channel, where he's been playing with a 65" 144Hz G-Sync 4K HDR Asus ROG BFGD (Big Friendly Gaming Display)

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

What model TV?
    The PS4 Pro does this internally (render at UHD, downsample to 1080p for output), does the XB1X not have a setting to do the same thing?

5. Vault-Tec

I'm not replacing or selling the TV. It was a lot of money.

I'm either wanting a device that I have in my head or I'll move it to the 50" 4k 60 in the bedroom.

6. Vault-Tec

Ed - not sure. 65" Hisense. Not sure of the model number.

7. Vault-Tec

It's about 4 years? Old. My ex and I got it when we got married in Jan 2015. It's a fantastic set and I'm very pleased with it. Cinema every day..

To replace it with 4k 60 at this size wouldn't be possible. We only got it because my ex paid for it when she sold her house.

I've got a 4k 60 50" in the bedroom and it's good. Given I will have to heat my flat room per room on leccy I may just move it in there for the winter anyway.

We'll see.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It'll be on the back, and probably also listed in the on-screen menu somewhere. It's worth checking; Hisense do issue firmware upgrades for their TVs, and while that is not like to to 'add' 4k60 support if the TV lack it outright, it may fix bugs preventing any existing 4k60 support from working with the XB1 (which has a notoriously less-than-fully-compatible variant of Dolby Vision, which could be tripping things up if Hisense have not set their feature flags correctly).

9. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

This is where having previously done customer support for Hisense in the UK comes in handy.

I assume you have the LTDN65K680 Hisense monitor - from memory that was the only 65" display that they sold in the UK that didn't have HDMI 2.0 sockets (and by implication, HDCP 2.2 support). It's also the only monitor they have sold in the UK i.e. it doesn't have any RF input for Freeview or satellite. If it does, then your TV is not that model & almost certainly has at least 2x HDMI 2.0 sockets - from memory HDMI 3&4 on the back, rather than 1&2 on the side (those only support HDMI 1.4).

Simple way to check, the monitor back panel is typically white - it's black on all 65" Hisense TVs.

Essentially you want the Xbox One X to see a device that supports HDMI 2.0 and if yours is the monitor then it simply won't send anything above 1080p to the display as the HDMI/HDCP support won't match. Getting a box to act as the middleman is the workaround, so you're right in that you need a device that supports an HDMI 2.0 (& HDCP 2.2) input and converts that to an HDMI 1.4 output to be feed to the display.

Spent some time looking at converters and found HDFury - they look familiar and I think Hisense head office recommended using one of their converters. Note the price, you're talking a minimum £200 outlay on most of the range. The box you've found looks like it will do the job though I'm not 100% certain based on a quick look (however chancing a £50 box will work is obviously worth a punt compared to the HDFury outlay).

It's a link to their US store, but the HDFury Integral is the device I think you need - it's $99.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Oct 2019
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Just to let you know @thewelshbrummie I've edited your post as, for me at least, it was showing as grey text on a grey background. If for whatever reason you had intended it to be like that please feel free to edit back again.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Its now black on black for me and virtually unreadable.

12. GeorgeK

Any better?

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Does not compute - a prerequisite of "all of the 4k detail" is, as it turns out, a 4k resolution.

Don't waste your money on a scaler that at best will give you a placebo effect, and at worst introduce new artifacts in the image.
    Switch TVs or learn to deal with 1080p/60.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

No exactly the same

15. GeorgeK

Weird. I originally edited to black, then changed the colour to none. I've just tried something else.

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Its back now :)

17. GeorgeK

I cut and then re-paste 'as plain text' to hopefully strip out any odd formatting that was doing odd stuff. I preferred the old forum's way of showing all formatting in tags as then that way you could see exactly what was going on without repeated guesswork!

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Then do I have a tip you're going to enjoy (said the vicar to the nurse):

upload_2019-10-1_10-1-57.png

Just 'it that button right there, and it goes back to the old plain-text-with-markup editor. Also, the button next to it removes all formatting.

Ta-da!

19. GeorgeK

Ooooh that is nice, just the way I like it. (Said the nurse to the vicar)

20. Vault-Tec

Spot on. It is most certainly that monitor.

Thank you! Quite possibly the most helpful and informative help post I've ever been on the receiving end of !

It has no tuner nothing and is a monitor...

And my idea was sound, even if I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about lmao. I will deffo get something now.

When were you there? I say this because I once spent about 2 hours on the phone with Hisense and the guy I spoke to was awesome. Explained how the HDMI were not equal and that the 4k part was its own entity etc. I thought it was duff because when I hooked my pc up to it I couldn't get a signal, but it turns out it was the HDMI type. I'll admit I have absolutely no idea on the types etc it's just not something I've bothered spending an evening studying.

Cheers. Will sort out the pc upgrade then come back to this :)