1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US, UK, Australia warn Facebook against end-to-end encryption

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Oct 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I miss the days when we pilloried the Soviet Union for eavesdropping on its citizens, and shouted loudly about how the right to privacy was sacred and violating it was a sure sign of corruption and villainy.

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

A 'to' too many?

To me, that plan to implement end-to-end encryption by Facebook is just an attempt to curb the hate against them. They will never give up the ability to spy on their users. It's their raison d'être.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If they introduced end-to-end encryption they wouldn't be able to spy on their users though, would they?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Two to? "To" too many.

[​IMG]

Fixed, ta!

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Of course they would, they own the route between the users so can sniff away to their hearts content. You didn't think it would be TRUE end to end encryption did you? Despite all the marketing BS about it being end user to end user encryption, I think we can almost guarantee that Farcebook will be sniffing the messages because, well... they can.

As said above, snooping on their users is the reason for their existence in the first place, they are in the ad & data hoovering business like Google.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I can absolutely assure you that WhatsApp uses true end-to-end encryption. The Signal protocol, in fact.

'course, Facebook can still spy on your messages 'cos it also controls both endpoints... and, last I checked, the default setting on WhatsApp was to upload plaintext versions of your entire message and media history to Google for "backup" purposes. But still, it's definitely end-to-end encrypted.

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The point is that Farcebook control both endpoints so yes, they will snoop on users. It also means that US authorities have a means to request, with a court order, the messages. All this crying wolf by governments is pointless posturing.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...again.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You mean like checking my bank balance online, buying stuff online, paying bills without using snail mail, and generally using the internet. ;)

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Exactly, they'd need a court order. That's not always easy to get and might take longer than they want. It's getting more and more expensive to spy on us.

Tags: Add Tags