1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Folding can get expensive if you don't have good impulse control...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:blah:

Isitari, Pete J, B1GBUD and 3 others like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Jesus tap dancing Christ :eeek:

3. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I think the spend on graphics cards alone is more than I've spent on all the PC components I've ever owned in 20yrs... :eek:

Dr. Coin likes this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I was thinking much the same and, what a lot of stuff for a future clearout sale...

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I don't... what... I mean... um... that's... er...

That's a lot of kit. And it's all just for folding? I mean, folding's cool and all that, but that's a metric ****ton of cash to spend on it, isn't it? As Jeff says, I think that's probably more money than I've spent on PC components in my entire lifetime :jawdrop:

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That's almost as much as my car cost, and I bought NEW! :jawdrop:

While watching last night's Gadget Show, I decided it was time for a new dashcam...

[​IMG]

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

A little treat for the afternoon.

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Lovely but lethal.

9. Shirty

And yet, even with seven powerful GPUs working full time (plus a handful more chipping in from time to time), I just barely just break into the top 20 daily producers.

Electricity costs are no laughing matter either! But it's all healthy competition and ultimately a great cause. Also, since we have barely any active folders on the team any more we need all the help we can get.

If my madness inspires even a couple of readers to fold, even if just a few hours a week on whatever they've got handy, I would be well chuffed.

I don't generally like donating to charity as I'm never quite convinced how my money will be used. With folding at least I know exactly what my contribution is for, even though I don't understand much of the science beyond layman's terms.

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

finally replaced my x58 platform after 10 years! only reason i bit the bullet was because 12GB ram just isn't enough for some games now.

Ryzen 5 3600
    MSI Tomahawk MAX B450
    HyperX Fury 32GB 3200Mhz
    ADATA XPG XS8200 PRO NVMe m.2 1TB

Cost £600 all in. not bad i dont think.

11. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

KEYESTUDIO ESP8266 IDE Module Development Board With I/O ports WiFi for Arduino
    [​IMG]

MOSFETS
    [​IMG]

Rubbing Alcohol for Cleaning 99,9% Isopropanol
    [​IMG]

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]
    Ryobi One+ glue gun
    . Been meaning to upgrade from the little corded mini thing I've got, and this one's pretty cheap if you've already got the batteries.

13. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Well I think it might be time for me to get back involved. There is space in my server for a GPU and the rooms it's in is getting a little cold now. What would be a decent second hand GPU to go for? Or, should I just upgrade and stick my 1060 in for folding?

14. Shirty

That would be awesome. The 1060 would net you around 400k ppd if run full-time.

I picked up a new warranty replacement 2070 on eBay a couple of months ago for £300, that comfortably clears a million and would be the cheapest/most efficient way to clear that milestone.

But honestly, even crunching a few work units a week is a very valuable and valid contribution. I wouldn't personally fold on a CPU as the points are very low, but there are still plenty of projects out there which will only run on CPU and that's generally the cheapest way to contribute if you're not trying to wave your willy :blush:

My plan was simple: invest in enough hardware to hit >10M ppd, rack up a billion or two points and then sell most of the hardware on whilst still in warranty and take a holiday with the proceeds.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Thought I'd give it a try on my 2080. Downloaded the DEBs, went to install 'em, "fahcontrol: Depends: python-gnome2 but it is not installable."

Guess not, then.

16. Shirty

I had a play on Ubuntu 18.04, managed to get a single card folding but then I simply had to give up after I tried to add another, just too much faff for a simpleton like me.

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

FP header extension in red.

[​IMG]

Far less aggro.... I also got this

[​IMG]

Empty, obs, for this

[​IMG]

I'm not done on the PC upgrade yet, but need to wait for more funds to continue. I won't be going crazy, but may get a NVME for game storage (so at least a tb). We'll see... I may need to buy a crimping tool and they're stupid expensive.

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh and this :)

[​IMG]

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

You'll not notice any real-world difference between an NVMe and a standard SATA SSD, in my experience, when it comes to games and loading times.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Cheap mech board to use at work (brown switches):

[​IMG]

Because I'd rather use a bargain-basement mechanical keyboard than continue using the mushy Dell membrane thing supplied by work. In fact I'd rather type on a wet turd than continue using that thing, it probably cost 90p to make and I'd be willing to bet that most of the cost was plastic.