1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Was apparently 14st 5lbs this morning which is probably a new PB, entered a PL competition late Nov in the 93kg class, so got 1-2kg more to play with.
    Been kind of fun trying to put on weight, sadly my lifts haven't improved as much as I would have liked so I'll most likely drop some weight after the comp.

Anyone else into lifting for strength more than general health?

LennyRhys likes this.
  2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ive moved from cardio to lifting more, only reason is after losing 10 i have been very lucky that i dont have any loose skin/flab dangling about. but i am sure i will end up with a fair bit if i was to lose 3 more stones and hit my target of 14stones. since i hurt my arm few months ago i cant seem to bench more than 50kg and my press is much worse, arm is fully healed up but very annoyed i cant add more weight to the bar.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2019
  3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Reached a 10-year low of 197lbs. Lost a bit due to a gluten-free (not be choice) diet.

4. GeorgeStorm

I'm continually annoyed I can't add more weight to the bar :D But slowly but surely it happens haha.

Congratulations :)

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Thanks! Still some work to do but feels good.

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

heh, thanks for the corrections.

meandmymouth: that's awesome 197lbs/14stone is my target, how much were you before?

7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

In week 3 of a Keto diet so far and find it much easier to stay on than other "fad" diets going around the net.

Have to say it's working to be honest, alongside a healthy amount of exercise I feel much more energetic and am making surprising decisions to voluntarily avoid "non-keto" foods which I find very surprising.

I also have to say, and it probably sounds stupid but i feel better both physically and mentally. Beforehand, i would be quite miserable, tired all the time to the point where it was affecting work but now I feel much better.

I was approximately 14st 7lbs before but haven't weighed myself yet however, I have lost 2 - 3 inches off my waist and gone down a trouser size down to 34in waist.

Yaka, MLyons and fix-the-spade like this.
  8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Just remember the sugar free mints to cover up that Keto breath.

9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

keep it up, if you reach a plateu just keep at it

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Well, new year so band wagon time.

Todays weight, 193.4lbs, 87.7kg, 13.8 stone.

No where near as bad as I thought, only up a bit, sorted bits out so I can jump onto my static bike trainer without having to set it up every time. Idea is, less excuses.

11. GeorgeStorm

Well new year's is all about goals so here are mine:

Drop a little bit of weight, was a touch over 90kg this morning, would like to gradually get down to 85ish maybe if I can keep getting stronger.
    Squat 2x bodyweight.
    Bench 110kg
    Deadlift 2.5x bodyweight
    Total 500kg between the three lifts.

LennyRhys and Yaka like this.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

The goal for me getting stronger was to always keep a record of what I was lifting and try to improve by only the slightest of increases the next time round. I was also strict with my rest period between sets, making sure it was no more or no less than 5 minutes.

I was bang into my barbell and rowing circuits, but I felt my overall cardio fitness was not really improving, so my training is back to weights with plenty of Run-Rows thrown in.

I am happy with my weight, but I would like better definition. So dry January is a kick start to the rest of the year. Every day I am completing a 3 mile run, 100 crossfit burpee's and any 100 Ab exercises. That does not include any other training I do that day. But I am lucky, I work in a gym in the Prison I work in, so that is very handy.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Why not pipe in to the weight loss thread, new year, new goal and all that and there's too many fit people in this thread :p :D

Started March last year after a weigh in for a championship registration where the weight of myself and car are combined and it was clear that compared to my competition I add a significant penalty....still smashed it :p :D but in a sport where people are paying hundreds to drop a few kgs etc, my 150kgs wasn't helping, and I could drop a lot of that penalty for free!!! of course I should have come to that realization a long time ago, not just for competing but general health benefits but hey, I'm a lazy git. :blush:

Set myself a goal of getting to sub 100kgs by the start of the season this year in March, managed to get to 110kgs by December just by doing a bit of Slimming world, not even been trying that hard to be honest, just a little effort in a better set of meal plans and food prep, then a spate of work, parties and slipping into old habits of hitting convenience foods has seen me shoot back up to this mornings 117kgs, little bit disappointing to be undoing all that work.

At 180cm apparently my ideal weight range is 60-81kg (so my phone tells me) so targeting a 100kgs would still have me in an obese category but I'm trying to be realistic with the goal having not been anywhere near that weight since I was a tween.

Good luck to others starting a weight loss journey in 2020.

14. GeorgeStorm

Completely depends on your body composition, 100kg is a very reasonable goal especially if you've been considering heavier for a long time.
    Once you get there you can re-assess, 80kg can be fat or skinny depending on what it's made up of!

15. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I know for a fact that I'm unlikely to ever get back to the 12½ stone (175lb/79-80kg) I once was in my 20's, but I know the ~21 stone I am now - at close to 55 - isn't that great, but while I'm happy, alive & able to live the life I currently lead, "I'm good, thanks".

Losing a cpl. stone would be nice, but this side of it be required as a health measure I see no pressing need to do so.

That said, GL to those who want to... for whatever reason.

16. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last time I lost any appreciable weight, I was 15-16 stone & a stone of that fell off in a month... the rest - to get to the 12½ stone I mentioned above - took a cpl. years.

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup I am not far off 50 myself :eek: time flies when you are having fun, sometimes you need something to help motivate you if your own health doesn't, whilst my goal is centred around racing as it has a good date for me to be ready for, the main motivator really was my daughter, firstly I should want to be around a bit longer for her, secondly, around the time of my uuum awakening we noticed that she was putting on weight, and if your kid is fat, you are failing as a parent, so as a whole family we have sorted some of it out, mainly through better diet, breaking some bad habits and being a little bit more active, not a lot, for me just 30-60mins of walking at a reasonable pace a day has made a difference.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2020
  18. GeorgeStorm

If you need to lose weight for a specific health reason I'd argue it's already too late.
    Didn't obesity overtake smoking as the #1 preventable cause of a bunch of cancers this year? (there was some advertising that got a lot of flak from Cancer Research UK I think?)

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I think your right, along with obesity related illness. My neighbour had a stroke last year due to diabetes and basically ignoring what he was told an eating crap.
    The reason his is diabetic is his his diet which, well he would quite happily eat a couple of packs of biscuits as a snack.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My wife, as well as being a chef was an NHS trained dietitian and nutritionist. People like the above, who completely ignore dietary advice after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, really annoy her.