1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Asset Management Software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mojo, 21 Oct 2019.

1. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Hey Guys,

I am looking to implement an asset management register for customers devices coming back in for repair. Does anyone use anything like this in their day to days?
    Any suggestions/advice? have you designed something yourself etc?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What data are you looking to capture? There are lots of free tools but I ended up writing an Access database as it allowed me to fully customise the fields and workflow. If you or a friend/colleague know your way around Access with a bit of VBA you should be able to knock something very usable together within a day.

3. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Generally looking to keep a log of which customer machines we have back for depot repair effectively. We will be able to tell which machines we have stored as well as who is dealing with them.
    Currently, have a paper filing system of sorts....

I've started with an access database but its rudimentary at best!

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Does it even need to be access? You could do something in excel even quicker.

Are you collecting data from any systems that you need to interface with?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've had cause to do similar, on a small-scale short-term basis: tracking hardware for group tests, like those 14 SFF machines I had that time. My solution: a modified Kanban board running on Trello's free tier.

Basically, each machine got a card. The card then walked across the board, from "Begging Letter Sent" to "En-Route" to "Received" to "Photographed" to "Benchmarked" to "Return Booked" to "Returned," with a few bonus columns like "Rejected" or "They're Ignoring Me The Buggers" for good measure.

A similar thing could work for you: "Booked" "Received" "Technician A" "Technician B" "Technician C" "Completed" "Return Booked" "Returned". No need to complicate things with a proper database, and even non-technical types can cope with "drag the card from Received to your column when you're working on it."

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Trello as mentioned, and Asana is worth a look as well

7. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I'm using snipe-it for our in-house asset management. Roughly 2k assets, all running fine on an aws free tier micro size instance.