1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Obsidian's The Outer Worlds

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Dec 2018.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Last edited: 7 Dec 2018
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Looks interesting

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So it's Fallout+Rage+No Man's Sky, but made by Obsidian?

Yeah, count me in.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I doubt - though I'm willing to be proven wrong - that it'll no Norman's Sky-esque: I'm thinking the cross-planet travel will be limited to cutscenes as you progress through the game, kinda like how you unlock additional areas in Grand Theft Auto games. So, it's Fallout meets Rage with a Borderlands twist by the people who made Real Fallout and the company that made The Halfway Decent 3D "Fallout".

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Looks more Fallout-ey than the last Fallout, that's for sure.

I just hope Obsidian don't balls it up, either with a botched release or with an advertising campaign that makes it look like more than it is. If it's just a really good RPG that will be plenty, no need to pretend it's Star Citizen meets Firefly meets Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I also expect space travel to be more Mass Effect-ish than Elite Dangerous, look at a map, move your ship to here, game does the rest. Maybe some kind of space combat mini games will pop up.

Edit: Anyone else think that 'from the original creators of Fallout' bit couldn't be a more perfectly timed dig at Bethesda?

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Been following this and, well after BGS complete meltdown recently with FO76 and the subsequent bugs, poor communication and leaking of user data at least this has given me a little hope.

It's nice to feel a bit positive, the BGS fiasco is just saddening.

Edit: Yeah, seen a bit more. Very interested so long as it's very open worldy and we get mod support :)

Last edited: 7 Dec 2018
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

This and the new Far Cry have made up for this year being so poor for games (for me, I'm not a fan of Westerns).

I really hope this socks it to Fallout 76, and makes up for Obsidian getting nozzled over FONV. I must say Obsidian and UBI definitely chose their moments to unveil these two games. "Hey do you like Fallout games? are you really annoyed at Bethesda for being so crap? then look no further !" :D

8. adidan

No planned mod support as it's not a 'triple A budget game'. :(

Hopefully this doesn't prevent modding it's just they're not planning on actively supporting it.

Not sure how the modding wizards do their thing tbh. I guess they just need to be able to do it rather than have active support.

9. adidan

Outer Worlds initiallty to be released on the Epic Games Store and the Windows Store (just WTF is that?). Other sellers (ie Steam) 12 months later.

10. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

11. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

Been playing it since release on the MS PC pass. Really good, well designed, runs brilliantly and considering it's an obsidian release it's surprisingly bug free. Well worth a punt

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And so far I am very much enjoying it. Glad to see that forgetting to cancel my Xbox Game Pass subscription has actually come in handy for once.

Hex likes this.
  13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Having a good time with this so far, some of the dialogue is a bit bland but for the most the game is good fun.

Last night I finished off the companion side quests, other than Parvati's they were pretty short... I think they mostly took roughly 40-45 minutes each.
    So far I think the best moment for me was during the first time I got to the Groundbreaker...
    Opening the large doors and seeing the big market area was quite an impressive sight, I wasn't expecting it at all.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I need to do some graphics optimisations I think. My little 1060 struggles pushing high detail levels at 2560*1600 and I've had to adjust the fan speed curve to be quite aggressive. I was topping out at 82°C and while the card can technically handle that, it's only a hair away from throttling back. It sits at about 70-75°C now, even with a side panel off, which still isn't great but I feel a lot more comfortable with it.

Yeah, I took a moment to appreciate that as well, very impressive!

15. creative

creative 500rwhp

Started this last night without knowing anything about it..... Only really did the starter levels but so far so good.

Also Is this the same people that did fallout because it feels like it.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yes and no. First, Interplay made Fallout; then a good chunk of those devs moved on to Black Isle Studios, a subsidiary of Interplay, and Black Isle did Fallout 2. Bethesda got the rights for the Fallout franchise and did Fallout 3. Obsidian was formed from a good chunk of the team who were originally at Black Isle. Obsidian did Fallout New Vegas, but Bethesda were responsible for Fallout 3, Fallout 4, or Fallout 76.

So yes, effectively most of the team from the *original* Fallout games made The Outer Worlds.

17. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Some say it's garish and bright but I like it. Visually beautiful, I went outside one bit and stopped dead in its track because of a very closed up planet with rings of rocks, at night with myriad of colours, wow, I paused to take in that awesome sight

18. creative

creative 500rwhp

explains it then. Even the sounds when in the terminals is the same as fallout.

Enjoying the game though now I have worked out a bit more stuff.

19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Science weapons are cool!

20. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

A few areas are a little overly bright, but I've not minded it too much as you don't really stay in one place for too long.
    I noticed that quite a few people have mentioned going into the .ini file to turn off the Bloom and tweak a few other graphics settings... haven't felt the need to do it myself but the options there for those that want to tone down some of the effects.
    Agreed, really enjoying playing with some of those weapons.
    Feel like the regular weapons could do with a bit more variety though.
    I think my favourite combo is the Gloop Gun and the Prismatic Hammer.