1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well continuing good luck to you then.

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  2. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

Aww, I'm really going to miss your articles Gareth! where should we go to get our fix now?

Gareth Halfacree, MLyons and Arboreal like this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got no other clients particularly interested in modding and enthusiast PC hardware and the like, but my maker stuff's going up on Hackster.io these days, Tom's Hardware is picking up a lot of my Raspberry Pi-focused stuff, I've still got my regular Hobby Tech column in Custom PC Magazine and the occasional something in HackSpace Magazine and MagPi Magazine.

I'll always post about the latest print publication on my portfolio site, though I should probably look at making more of the digital-exclusive stuff on there too...

ashchap likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So operation number 3 was meant to be to alleviate pain the doc thought to be being caused by the genitofemoral nerve. During the original consultation he was very positive about the outcome, but included the usual caveats of any medical procedure. The day before the op I get all the paperwork, including a copy of the letter sent to my doctor where it says he's also doing the ilioinguinal nerve amd that he's "aiming for a 50% reduction in pain overall amd more than that may not be achievable." :eyebrow:

Morning of the op we bring this up with him. He acts all shocked, "oh I always say 50%, I must have done" No mate, no you did not. He had said that it might need more than one treatment and that was maybe kind of the same thing, but a much more optimistic outlook was definitely the first prognosis. On we go anyway.

Operation/procedure is done under sedation, not general anesthetic. Very uncomfortable, painful at times for some injections, no idea really what's happening As I have a green sheet in my face. I think I fall asleep after, or am so doped up I have no memory of getting back to the ward which is like a&e bays. What I do know is that I'm in horrendous pain and can barely move. Much more pain than after the last actual hernia operation, more like the first one where they "allegedly" did 2 hernias laparoscopically.

They bring me a drink, sit me up a little then after about an hour or so ask me to try and get out of bed. Yeh, no, not happening. Can barely manage to sit up, right leg dead as a doornail, likely from the litre of lidocaine and god knows what else that's just been pumped into my right hip. They're shocked, aghast that I can't move and am in excruciating pain. They say just leave it for a bit, have some pain killers and we'll try again later after lunch. Lunch comes and goes, my leg is still dead, but I just managed to drag myself out of bed and on my feet, just about make it to the toilet and back. Agony though. See the doc on the way back, as usual they don't wanna talk right after and he just says I'll be alright in a bit and runs away.

The days following were hell. Really ****in painful, leg so dead I can't tell how many fingers my Mrs is poking it with. It eases off a little after the weekend but still very painful. Get the dressings off about Thursday, find approx 20 injection sites. 20. 10 around the hernia scar itself as he's also had a bash at 'scar infiltration', whatever that is and without me knowing about it first, there's bruising around the scar, all very unpleasant.

A week to the day after the procedure the pain finally starts to relinquish, it eases over the weekend, Monday and Tuesday I'm beginning to feel positive, like we're finally turning a corner. I manage a trip to the docs Monday and the shop on Tuesday, exhausted and a little sore after, but massive progress. Yesterday though, painful. This morning, painful. The pain seems more like the pain I had before the op, not the pain I had after because of it, but maybe just overdoing it? Bit disheartening though.

At some point before my outpatients appointment Monday, I'm going to have to go sit at the table, see if this **** has worked. I'm dreading it. My initial impressions just from general movement is that not much has changed. If this has done **** all then now what? More injections and go through all that again? Maybe for nothing again? The alternative is hardcore drugs, the ones that end in am and an, one's not conducive to concentration, kind of a requirement for my job, which I haven't been in for a month. I can't bare this doing nothing **** it's driving me mad!

TL;DR: Was in pain, given 20 injections to correct the pain, still in pain now, super depressed.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2019
  5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Whose typo's are we meant to mock, even...?

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A sad day. All the best in the future and see you around, I guess.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

One of those double colds. You get to day 4 and feel much better. Then you wake up the next day feeling absolute chit again.

That coupled with super heavy anxiety and I ended up having a bit of a meltdown yesterday. Colds and flus do not mix well with mental illness.

I always thought diazepam was crap. Little did I realise you just need to take lots of it.

Still feel crap, but do feel a bit brighter.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bit-tech without Gareth writing the news? I'm.... not sure I'm ready for this!

Nonetheless, thanks for your service - long may your inbox continue to be stuffed with work! And hopefully one of these days people give you some reasonable deadlines :thumb: :grin:

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

That makes me sad :(

Good luck G, and please don't disappear like Rich.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Car's, Car's, Car's!!!

Service light came on a few weeks ago, car is running fine though.

Investigate it and it say's rear brakes need changing, so I order the disc's, pad's and a wear sensor.

Brakes turn up, and my brother came round to change them, turns out they don't need to be changed just yet, they have got about 3 to 6 months left.

So we look at the front ones and find the muppet who had the car before me, has changed the calipers and disc's for larger ones, so large that there is barely 2mm of space between the calipers and the rim of the wheel.

Anyone would think that the car is pushing over 300bhp but it's not, it's around the 160bhp until I get it mapped.

Now my main priority is getting the 17" wheels in the back garden sorted with a new set of tyres and get them fitted ASAP.

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Hope you get better @The_Crapman

I have lesser example of how the human body can screw you. Do not open the spoiler if you are eating / have any squeamishness.

Went out for lunch and to the football with my son and brother in law. I was feeling a bit under the weather before I left but assumed it was just a cold so wrapped up extra well.

I get home from the football and feel worse so my wife cooks me some soup and I put my son to bed at 8pm then hit the sack feeling a bit queesy.

I lie there with an ever increasing feeling of dread at the rising level of sickness I’m feeling.

9pm the brown tide erupts from my lips, chunks of bread and chick noodle soup still visible. My body appears to have a decent expulsion system as I return to bed with some sore ribs and facial bruising from the expulsion process.

Repeat process at 10:45 pm, 11:30pm, 1:30 am. By the 1:30 trip to the bathroom I ache all over, I look like I have gone a round or two with a heavyweight boxer, as all the capillaries round my eyes and across my nose have blown. Most worrying is I have a dull ache in the man sack from where I appear to have tried to throw one of my testicles up via my mouth.

I return to bed confident that that it’s all over as I made out the spinach from my lunch in the expulsion!

4:45am arrives I have had an hour or so sleep so far due to parts of me aching I forgot I had.

I need the toilet in a conventional manner this time, so despite what would normally be an upsetting diarrhoea tsunami, I head back to bed happy at least it’s coming out the right holes. I get 2 steps out the bathroom when a grumbling that makes an earthquake sound like a kitten purring erupts and I turn back to the bathroom but fail to have time to lift the seat of the toilet.

My final and fifth expulsion explodes into the bath. It’s a never ending flow that feels like it’s emptying the pits of hell all over the bath. It includes two charcoal tablets I had consumed after the previous bathroom trips to vainly try to neutralise my inhospitable stomach environment. I make out the pulses from my lunch.

My wife who has up until this point (un-mentioned) been helping me survive, comes out of the bedroom, sees the situation of carbon enriched plague spewing from her husbands mouth and I can only assume is hit by a wall of smell that would make cleaning a fat burg in a London sewer seem appealing in comparison. Waves her hand in front of her face and runs off to retch in the downstairs loo.

I’m now about 12 hours after episode 5 Return of the Carbon, and I am completely empty. I’m pretty sure if I went outside opened my mouth you could hear whistling.

[\spoiler]

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. The_Crapman

Thanks. Being a human fluid cannon is not fun. Especially when you get one of those moments where you think it's all over and you get a second wind so quickly. When it's out the blue and undeserved it feels so unjust.

13. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Totally, I’m just hoping its over.

Managed a little glass of lemonade and some more crackers, so am starting to feel more alive.

Arboreal likes this.
  14. The_Crapman

I find plain salted Tortilla chips help when I'm on the road to recovery. Then Chinese. Lots and lots of Chinese.

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Hour 4 ish of a panic attack. Ivethrown upmy dinner, thrown up the water i drank to get the taste gone, thrown up the amitryptiline i take as a muscle relaxant when this happens. At least im not shaking much right now. Nights like this are so lonely.

16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yup, salty stuff is much needed in that situation. We always keep two things in the house for times like that, Knorr Super Chicken Noodle Soup packets and packets of Pokari Sweat drink powder (Japanese iso-tonic re-hydration drink, amazing stuff). Both have a bit of salty to them and, as long as they stay down, they sort things out good and fast.

17. The_Crapman

Had my outpatients appointment. Had to take the train as our car is out of action, which if anything, further proved that the procedure has not worked and possibly made it worse, as am in a fair whack of pain after, more so than before when I got the train to work. As such and because it was so excruciating last time, we both agreed that further treatment was not a good idea, so going to have a go on drugs.

I've just been prescribed amitryptiline, although I have to wait for the private doc to get a letter to my GP for a prescription, as they wanted £20 for a 2-3 weeks dosage. Given my lack of money from a month on ssp, I'd rather wait a few days for it as I don't think my arse can take much more of this buggery.

Goatee likes this.
  18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Car battery is borked, indicator says its fine but its not charging properly. Lazy solution till I work out which I need, USB jump pack incase it refuses to go anywhere.
    Also right hand speakers have now conked out so likely same problem as left which was corroded cables.

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Flat non-diet coke and ready salted crisps is what someone i know got recommended after a stomach op...

The_Crapman likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

Grr. I go on Fogstar and finally cave and buy the best batteries they have. I don't realise they are not 18650. They are 21700? and they are fatter and longer. Thus, they don't fit and I have done £40 on batteries.

However, it does get slightly better. I then realise that these batteries are so good and so powerful you only need to use one. Having four means one charge every 2 days or so, rather than messing about all day. And, the mod itself is only £16 (the mod is the thing that you put the battery in and fire the coil with). My mod is battered. It's wobbly, the screen is busted etc from dropping it. So I was due a new one any way.