1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Obsidian's The Outer Worlds

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Dec 2018.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

"Oh, did I say I had the data cartridge? That's just what I call my left nut"

It's puerile, but a video game hasn't made me laugh that much in a long time.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I got this. I just didn't say anything because I've been coughing up lung bogies.

It's very good. I am about 2 hours in, before I started feeling really dizzy. Runs very nicely at 4k for me too. It's kinda new, but feels familiar at the same time. I mean, it looks nothing like New Vegas, yet it feels like I am there.

Very happy with it. It will get a lot of play time once I can hold myself upright for more than an hour at a time.

Byron C likes this.
  3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'd say throughout my play through I felt that it had a little bit of a New Vegas meets Mass Effect vibe, with a fair bit of Firefly influence thrown in for good measure.
    Definitely one of the more enjoyable new releases that I've played in recent years, one of the very few I played from start to finish within a space of a week.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Few more hours in now. Really enjoying it.. I'm doing all of the side quests one at a time, due to it not being uber long (well, not from what I have heard)

Stupid question.. Does it have music? like is there a way to get it going like you do in Fallout? it's the one thing it needs. Some sort of soundtrack.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

No always-on live services, no premium currency, no ads crammed into the UI, no loot boxes, no DLC, no microtransactions, and the only bug I encountered was easily worked around... Just a well written and thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish, and a game that I will happily enjoy playing again.

Yeah, I don't often play through games that quickly.

Other than the ambient background music, not that I've seen.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I started playing this last night. It really is Fallouter Worlds, innit?

7. creative

creative 500rwhp

Yep, and the more you play it the more you notice it! lol

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Less buggy than anything Bethesda's put out in the last decade or two, mind you. Although everyone having a glowing left ear is a bit distracting, and twice now I've shotgunned some poor marauder in the head and watched them launch into orbit never to be seen again...

EDIT: And I'm glad that holstering/unholstering your weapon is nothing other than aesthetic, 'cos I don't know about the Windows version but on Xbone it's bound to the same button as all the interaction stuff - so I go to talk to someone and immediately pull a pistol on 'em...

Hex likes this.
  9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Isn't it meant to be a Wild West Frontier In Spaaaace theme though?

10. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I've done about 8 hours in it so far and havent used time dilation once, but the game seems geared up to it being used all the time in perk tree. Grenades would make a nice addition, yes you can use a grenade launcher but switching to it is not the same as lobbing them on demand. Switching to gun on dialogue etc is pretty silly. The maps need more secrets and interesting stuff.

Overall it needs polish.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The only bugs I encountered were the aforementioned launching of marauders - though it only happened once - and instant crash at a certain point. With the latter though, 2 minutes of wandering about found an alternate route to the exact same room (sans crash-to-desktop).

I didn't get that on the PC (interact bound to E, holster bound to long-press-R), but on a console I can imagine that's pretty frustrating. Can you not change the default button bindings? (Mind you, I'm not sure you can do that with a controller on the PC)

12. creative

creative 500rwhp

Same.... Only time I have used it was when I have hit Q by mistake after hovering over 1 - 5 to prompt conversation. Same as Fallout tbh.. I never used VATS....

Im still enjpying the game but I am starting to do what I normally do and just start wandering the wastelands and forgetting about the quests. Theres a little bit to much back and forth for me...

13. Vault-Tec

Apparently they had a tiny budget. So, I am rather irked it cost me £40 odd. However, it still kicks the crap out of FO76.

I use time dilation to take out the nearest enemy, but yeah it doesn't really give you an advantage. Just makes aiming slightly easier, not that it's hard.

I hope they will put the monies made from this to good use, and come out with something much more ambitious next time. It's a very enjoyable romp.

14. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I am on PC with xbox one controller and it has the weapon on doors / dialogue etc due to lack of buttons i guess. The game has good potential though.

15. Gareth Halfacree

It reveals enemy weaknesses, and it allows you to cripple them (the equivalent of the called-shot mechanic in the original Fallout's VATS - but I don't think you can cripple their crotches any more.)

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Good ol' aimed shot. The groin shot in the original FO1/FO2 could bypass armour or KO your target, it was often (IIRC) an easier shot to make than a head shot.

VATS was FO3's answer to having an "aimed shot" mechanic in a game that is no longer turn-based. It did actually work relatively well in FO3/FO:NV, but the combat in FO4 was a lot closer to traditional FPS games where the direction the weapon is pointing is more important to accuracy than your base character stats.

It's a shame that we'll never again see another Fallout game by Obsidian. Bethesda have well and truly wrung every last penny out of the dried up husk that was once the Fallout IP.

17. Vault-Tec

I never knew that ! I shall have to study that some more :)