1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I'
    I've always said, NEED and WANT are not necessarily logically connected!;)

Vault-Tec and Guest-44638 like this.
  2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Need usually has "can't afford it" attached; want usually comes about when you have the money & realise you "didn't really need"...

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

There's a reason I chose this particular home insurance product from this particular provider, and why I haven't switched to someone else despite being able to cut my premiums by more than half. Today that decision is completely vindicated as it's just saved me anywhere between £500 and £1000+ out of my own pocket.

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I always worry if my insurance is any good. I only really have it for in case the house burns down.

I looked at Hiscox for peace of mind but they don't cover my area.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Pfft.

Byron C likes this.
  6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've found M&S (underwritten by AXA) to be excellent in terms of customer service, and not dsking you about when you need it least.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I have a Halifax-branded Home Solutions policy. It's underwritten by Lloyds and they sell the exact same product under the Halifax, Bank of Scotland, and Lloyds brands. They're all dealt with by the same people in the same two call centres. I have a bit of an advantage though as I used to work in one of those two call centres in Lloyds' home insurance claims department. This policy is pretty much identical to what it was some ~10 years ago when I used to be the one on the other end of the phone. Now that the Cheltenham & Gloucester mortgage-linked home insurance product isn't a thing any more, it's the top level of cover they offer (IIRC).

I've seen first-hand how home insurance can really come through for people. Most of the time I dealt relatively small stuff like accidental damage or water leaks, but I did deal with quite a lot of burglary claims and I had a handful of pretty awful fire claims. I also did a couple of site visits with loss adjusters to people whose homes had been completely flooded. Those kind of things are pretty devastating and even having seen it first-hand I'm still not sure I can sympathise with people who have had to go through incidents like that.

TL;DR: Don't skimp on your home insurance and make sure you know what you're covered for. Chances are you're never gonna need it, but when you really do need it the last thing you want is to find that you don't have the right cover.

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Very important. I know a few people who have been caught out by limitations of the coverage. For example having flood insurance, but exempt from storm swear backups. So unless they were able to prove that the water flowed in through the windows and doors, no coverage.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I am quite impressed with the 2070 Super. In fact no, I will admit I am super impressed. It's bested my Titan XP in every test I've had it in, and it's the cheapest 2070s on air. I didn't realise this rig would end up more powerful than the one at home and I'm super chuffed at what I managed with a grand. You wouldn't get anywhere close to this buying new parts :)

Ray Tracing on the other hand? hmm. The Star Wars demo looks fantastic and runs properly (unlike on my XP) but Quake 2 just felt like Quake 2 to me. It's kinda hard being enthused about 20 year old graphics, even with lighting and reflections.

I am hoping Control will impress the bejesus out of me.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

****in tornado zip drives.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yeah but how do you read and understand a policy, mine's undecipherable!

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Put £50 into a betting site Saturday. Last night I withdrew £90. My watercooling loop is also setup and seems to be fine so I'll have 2 480mm rads worth of cooling along with an AC unit. Hope to break some HWBOT records tonight or over the weekend.

GeorgeK likes this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have a thing I do called "Consolation Betting." It's a little like insurance for your emotions: if there's something I don't want to happen, I bet on it happening. If it doesn't happen, I'm happy 'cos I didn't want it to happen; if it does happen, I get free money. Win-win. I did it for Trump's election, walked away with about £300 profit.

A little while ago, it was genuinely looking like Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson might drag us out of the EU with no deal. So, a quick trip to a betting site and I put £100 on No Deal by the end of the year at 2.72. In other words, if we leave before the end of the year without getting a deal I get a £272 return - £172 profit. They were the best odds at the time, 'cos as I say it was looking pretty likely.

What happens: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson turns out to be an idiot - who'da guessed - and screwed it up. Which is good, 'cos now we're not leaving without a deal (immediately, anyway), but bad because the odds have been *rapidly* shifting since. In fact, Smarkets is offering to let me trade out my bet for... £2.72 at 100 odds.

How's that for timing?!

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've been doing the same thing with Manchester United games. Made quite a bit

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. MLyons

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Nice start, you'll be wanting to go cold before you know it ;)

19. MLyons

I have been thinking about it. current order will be something like this at a guess
    current loop > AC on > rads in ice water > dedicated chiller > bracket for my cascade > DICE > LN2
    I suspect.

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Mine was:
    Air -> SS -> DI -> LN2.

Also did some water at some point but only counting the progress of 'extreme'.