1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

We have a great laser printer at work Toshiba swear blind is fine, it print, but the fuser module doesn't hit the right temp so you can rub off said toner leaving slightly seared imprints in the paper.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Hybrid environments with legacy public folders.

And **** internet so I can't just mass-migrate everything over a weekend and stop working on this dumbass problem.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What you've got there is the world's weediest laser etcher!

legoman likes this.
  4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Might be cheaper to buy a new printer...

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Signed off sick from work for two months, had an operation on my right arm to stop it dislocating. I was first told by the surgeon I'd be signed off for four weeks, which we as a family can almost cope with. Sadly he handed me my sick note when I was leaving the hospital and it said two months, and off her jolly well trotted. That takes us pretty much up until the new year, Statutory Sick Pay is going to be interesting.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eef. At least you qualify for SSP, tho': as a freelancer, if I'm off sick I get nowt. That's why I still haven't booked in the operation I need on my hand...

7. legoman

I may get some really crappy 80gsm paper in see what it does

Isn't that usually the case with inkjets? Printer with ink costs £30, new cartridges cost £40. To be fair I have been using non brand ink in my Canon for years, £15 for a full set of six inks isn't bad.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Detached rotator cuff by any chance? I had that operation 12-13 years ago and have not had a dislocation since and I could barely keep my arm in in the month leading up to the op. Depending on your job, you might be OK to go back on light duties 4-6 weeks after. I was VERY lucky to be in a job with full sick pay at the time so took the full 2 months, but I could have gone back after 4 I recon and done everything left handed (desk job), which I had got quite good at by then.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Waiting until the underlings, sorry, children are able to do your work for you, while you recover?

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  10. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I'm not sure exactly what the cause was, each time I dislocated it according to the surgeon who showed me the result of my MRI scan said the soft tissue was damaged each time. Also the little ball that goes into the socket was also damaged, hence why it would just dislocate. The last straw was in April when my arm popped out when I was sleeping and that point I thought this is getting silly, I've had this problem off and on 6 times so something has to be done, so here I am today.

I am doing as much physio as I can during the day, I'm being told I'm going to need the sling for four weeks, I want to be out of it by the end of next week.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Don't do more exercise than your physiotherapist tells you. It'll just make it worse!

12. The_Crapman

Sounds different to mine then, as for me the cartilage cup of the joint has detached from the bone. I'd dislocated it in bed a few times, including one 'amusing' tale of when I was home alone, on my back, arm dislocated pointing up about 20 degree angle between my arm and head, unable to move, no one due back for about 9 hours, alarm on my phone blaring. After a while I managed to maneuver enough to get my phone off the floor with my feet, fling it up and arrange a rescue. It was about 3 hours from dislocation to the ambulance getting there.

As Ian said, don't go pushing it too soon or you'll undo whatever they've fixed. I wouldn't do any physio for the first week besides gently maneuvering it, holding it with your left hand to support most of the weight, stop it getting stiff. And keep it in that sling and keep it supported!

Speak with your work about how they can support you. Light duties, phased return etc. They'll probably be keen to get you back asap too and will help, but don't rush back and hurt yourself.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

For inkjets, this is true.

However I have a colour laser printer :thumb:

14. legoman

Well, in that case your cyan is low so you cannot print black and white.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, but printers typically ship with ink cartridges that are a fraction the capacity of the standalone ones. Bit like battery-powered toys that come with batteries "for demonstration purposes only" that go flat in 5 minutes!

16. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I have a Dell E525W, wireless colour laser printer, scanner, copier, fax. The compatible toners I use are around £30 for a full set of four. I’ve been very happy with it over the last couple years!

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Out of interest where do you get them from? Always useful to know trusted brands/retailers.

18. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Amazon :D

Byron C likes this.
  19. The_Crapman

It's truly disgusting the stuff you can get on amazon for cheap. Even their coffee is decent and at £2 a brick, a bargain.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Tell a lie, must have had draft mode on - still flashing the "black toner low" light, still printing!