1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What monitor ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shanx, 7 Nov 2019.

1. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys need some advice as to what monitor to get.

I currently use a 32in LG HD TV for use with my XBone, PS4, PC and to watch sport via Virgin.

I have a NVidia GForce 1080 GPU so do i go for a 1080p or 1440p?

If i go for 1440p what will the display be like when using my consoles?

Do I need to go for GSync or will i be ok without it, will Freesync be fine?

My budget is up to £350.00.

Any advice would be truly welcome as i have no idea where to begin.

Many thanks in advance.

Shanx

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Most consoles don't play with 1440p very well - I'm 99% sure that the PS4 doesn't support it. Not sure about XBone. I'd stick with a good quality 1080p screen if I were you. I love g-sync personally. In my, very uneducated, opinion it makes games feel a lot smoother than they otherwise would do - I was playing Control not that long ago which is massively taxing on the GPU and it made it feel really smooth even though it was only running at ~45fps (that was on a 3440x1440 monitor using a 1080 TI). G-Sync has the most impact when your framerates are starting to drop but at 1080p and with a GTX 1080 you probably won't struggle for framerate in most titles. If I was in your boat with that budget I'd look for a 1080p monitor, g-sync if you can get it, high refresh rate and possibly IPS for better colours if you can get it. Perhaps check out the Samsung CRG5 or the Aorus CV27F?

Edit: Also Freesync is for AMD graphics cards :)

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think I remember writing something about the Xbone getting 1440p support.. Yeah, there we go.
    Although it works with Nvidia cards now, too. And the Xbone.

(I swear I wrote about Nvidia adding "G-Sync Certified" or "G-Sync Compatible" FreeSync monitor support, but I'm damned if I can find it now...)

Last edited: 7 Nov 2019
  4. GeorgeK

Well who would'a thunked it? A useful article on Bit-Tech... /s

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Pfft.

6. GeorgeK

At least things are now on the up since they got shot of that other bloke. What was his name again? Gary Semihectaree?

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

8. Gareth Halfacree

THERE IT BLOODY WAS. I sodding *knew* I'd covered it.

The search system didn't find it 'cos it only searches headlines, not body text. Had to DuckDuckGo it instead.

9. GeorgeK

One of the ones I (very briefly) looked at said it didn't officially support g-sync but actually did. I suspect there's a lot out there which do unofficially too but you'd be best to do your research first :thumb:

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

11. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

My X box is just the original version which is not supported by G Sync. :miffed:

I knew that Freesync was for AMD card but i was just wondering what i would be losing out on if i got one because as soon as you put G Sync on any serch the price jumps by at least £100 :miffed:

Would i notice much of a difference if I went with a 1080p monitor rather than 1440p?

Thanks for the link very useful :clap:

Thanks guys

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

For referennce, a 32" screen @ 1440 is the same DPI as a 24" 1080 screen. You'd be going from around 91 DPI to about 70 DPI, so things will look much worse. Also avoid VA pannels if you cann, I wish I had, as although youtbers say theu're fine the colouur smearing (I forget the correct term for it) is awful on dark/light scenes, like dark backgrouund with white text. Stick to TN or IPS.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Luckily one guy didn't hide the issue unlike the rest of tech sites...
    Skip to 8:50 for a nice demo on how to defeat a £2700 VA monitor using nothing but Steam and a mouse cursor:

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

As I only play flightsims, I am looking for a recommendation while the Black Friday sales are on, to pick up a 32-inch display, e.g. Samsung 3840 x 2160 UHD 4k VA fed by an MSI GTX1080Ti. A friend has suggested a Samsung LS34J550WQUXEN but with a 3440 x 1440,I am not too sure if it has the correct perspective for flightsimming.

Any advice would be most welcome before a commitment is made. Thanks.

15. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Just read user's Reviews on one of those Samsung displays----not recommended due to poor input power cable design. Typical Samsung hype in their write up, until the Reviews are read and it gets shot down.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is completely not true. I use a 32" and its perfectly fine 70cm ish away from me.

17. GeorgeK

I have a 34" ultrawide and same - I sit arms length from the screen and it nicely fills my view and begins to stretch to my peripheral. I've never felt the need to turn my head or sit further away

Edit: Whilst gaming that is - with 2 or 3 windows open I do have to look around

Last edited: 24 Nov 2019
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I agree . I've been using a 32" 16x9 monitor at similar distance, since June 2016 and it 's great, just seemed a bit big for the first few days.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  19. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Can anyone kindly shed light, then on which one of these panel types are good displays ? TN, VA, or IPS? Currently have a Dell 24-in IPS and it has served me faultlessly since I first got it in 2012.

Thankfully, those reassurances above re: not having to sit at a far distance to view a 32/34-in display are uplifting.

20. GeorgeK

That's not to say that IPS can't have high refresh rates (100Hz+ not the ridiculous 240Hz panels that professional e-sports players use) or that TN can't have relatively good colour accuracy. Peronally I'm all for IPS for accurate colours but others may want something else from a monitor. TFT Central is my preferred place for monitor reviews if that helps.