1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cancelling double glazing

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 12 Nov 2019.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Bit of advice if anyone can.

Had some people round to quote for glazing on the 30th Nov, first guy really cool an hour in an out said he would mail the quote.

Second was the problem. Two of them rocked up a six at night, kept me and my mum there till well after ten when we eventually agreed. Decided we don't want to go ahead, tried to cancel an they are saying its outside of their 7 day cooling off period. Is this right? I was under the impression it was 14 days after the contract was signed so long as no work had been done (it hasn't were still waiting on the surveyor to actually arrange a date). Apparently if we cancel now my deposit of £3125 is forfit.

Is this right?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

My understanding from having watched BBC's Watchdog is that you have 14 days, backed up by this:

https://www.gov.uk/doorstep-selling-regulations

Not knowing much more, I would contact trading standards immediately and keep records of all interactions with this company, they'll be invaluable later on and it's easy to forget things.

liratheal likes this.
  3. legoman

Thanks I've just been on there and found the link to the letter template. Just made and sent that. Company only has two mail addresses listed sales and enquires so I've sent it to both.

4. legoman

Had a response to my email saying they will consider further and respond within the next few days.

I've a feeling this is going to get messy

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I would probably draw their attention to this:

upload_2019-11-12_15-28-20.png

Not only did they not make it clear about the 14-day right-to-cancel, but they lied and claimed it was seven days. If you've got that lie in writing, you're golden: you've got 'em right over a barrel.

IanW likes this.
  6. legoman

Back of their contract states a 7 day cooling off period to be honest I cant remember if they said about a cancellation period or not, they didn't leave till just after half ten at night so its all a bit fuzzy.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Boom. They've done themselves up like a kipper. Tell 'em you want immediate written confirmation of cancellation with no financial penalties or a copy of the contract's going straight to Trading Standards for prosecution.

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  8. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

High pressure sales techniques used to secure the deal = huge red flag. It's your house, as soon as you detect ******** or pressure and they are overstaying their welcome you just pull the plug and tell them to fick off. No need to feel bad about it or apologise, they are in your house at your invite only, they leave exactly when you say they leave.

As above you have 14 day cooling off despite what it says on their blurb. Trading standards is waiting for your call.

9. Gareth Halfacree

I had a slimy saleslizard from Everest come round once. Spent more time telling me about their finance plans than the windows. How much will it cost, I said. "Well, that depends on the finance plan..." No, I'm not asking how much the finance will cost, how much will the windows cost.

He got very stroppy, so I showed him the door. The tit.

IanW likes this.
  10. legoman

Just had a call, they are using the same law against me

"
    Limits of application: circumstances excluding cancellation
    28.—(1) This Part does not apply as regards the following—

(a)the supply of—

(i)goods, or

(ii)services, other than supply of water, gas, electricity or district heating,

for which the price is dependent on fluctuations in the financial market which cannot be controlled by the trader and which may occur within the cancellation period;

(b)the supply of goods that are made to the consumer’s specifications or are clearly personalised;"

They have not entered the property to do anything bar the sales and rough measurements. Honestly don't know if I want to scream or cry at the minute.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Doesn't count, because the surveyor hasn't been round and therefore they cannot possibly have begun production of the windows.

Tell 'em they've one last chance, then it's Trading Standards time. Say you'll visit them in prison, but only to laugh.

IanW likes this.
  12. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Mate dont fall for it, it all the same high pressure intimidation schpeel. Keep records of any correspondence and calls now in case it is needed later. Dont wait just take it to trading standards now.

13. legoman

I said their surveyor hasn't even booked an appointment, also said I will refuse him access to the property which will halt any work.
    They refused to refund me quoting that law so looks like it will be trading standards. already got a CAB reference as they confirmed the letter I needed to send.

14. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Depending on how you have paid the deposit you could also just stop the payment at the bank or card provider.

15. Gareth Halfacree

That's a point: you've got Section 75 on your side here, too, as it's more than £100.

16. legoman

Bit late, payment left my account 31/10

17. Gareth Halfacree

If it was a credit card, it doesn't matter: Section 75 puts the credit provider on the hook for a seller's inability or unwillingness, meaning if the seller won't cooperate you ask your bank to do a Section 75 claim and your bank refunds you then chases the seller for its money back. And your bank can afford much better legal representation than you can...

18. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

^ What he said ^

19. legoman

Visa debit so I'm stuffed on it.

20. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Forward momentum, trading standards asap.