1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Well its fixed now, fortunately parts were bent rather than snapped, but i shouldnt have to spend hours fixing Forgeworld's piss poor QC, when China can get it much better and at a much lower cost

and my experience with FW 'support' has been rather spotty
    Dread Autocannons ( coz mortis Cheesecake )
    First set, bent out of shape un-usable , send email with photos, get replacement parts sent, Second set, arrived with a barrel snapped, again badly warped, Send email with photo, guy send a rather arsey message back including a photo of the THIRD set they sent me
    which was warped and very poorly sized ( one is noticably smaller than the other ) but they are usable after a hot bath and some straightening

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Well, despite the quality and detail of the new GW terrain, I've gone an invested in a 3D printer:
    An Anycubic i3 Mega-S. It's within by budget, it's got a suitable print bed size and it's supposed to be quite good for the price.

On top of that, I've already backed WarLayer 4.0, so I got 517 STL files from that alone and I'm eyeing up a couple more.

Is it massively overkill? Hell yes it is. :D

Blademrk likes this.
  3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Added an Elegoo Mars to my 3D printing stable. So far it seems to be a little more reliable than the Photon and definitely easier to set up!

My son decided he wanted some jet packs for his marines and I found an inceptor model so decided to print some instead, apart from a minor glitch on the left foot which could be fixed with an additional support they're almost perfect. My daughter wants some 'sisters' that we found on Thingiverse for her team so they're next on the list. We've just started playing kill team with my old models and some house rules which they're both enjoying, but they both want to paint up their own stuff now and although I've ordered a few models for them the printed ones give them a bit more choice.
    [​IMG]

Pete J and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  4. lilgoth89

my only issue with the Mars is that its small print volume, but i have to admit, they are BOTH very tempting
    as are the Large Scale resin machines hitting the market

5. 13eightyfour

I only really use the resin printers for minis and an Ender 3 fro larger stuff/terrain so the size isn't really an issue. If I wasn't having so many problems with the Photon I don't think I'd have bought it though tbh.
    I've watched a couple of reviews of the Peopoly Phenom which is huge in comparison, but still a little too pricey for me at the moment, especially as the Ender copes really well with the larger stuff for much less cost/mess.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I bought some of the thunderbolt fighters and boy. They are so very close to the fw model it's amazing. Even at the scale they are most of the details are there.

Edit: Took some pictures, and tried out my wet palette (Which is awesome btw, I got the Redgrass one too),

[​IMG]

My "spares+1" Kill team. There's going to be a couple of Templars in there too, but three of them have been built from spares from other kits, the Blood Angel was a combo of spares and a Sanguinary priest.

[​IMG]

Thunderbolts are awesome. I've got another couple that are purely primer at the moment, and not picture worthy.

[​IMG]

Managed to get my hands on some Eliminators, so the crusade grew a little more. I need to paint five more rank and file marines, but boy do I hate troops. Which begs the question, why is my Templar list almost all troops..

Last edited: 3 Nov 2019
  7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

So I picked up THE CHIN (Tor Garadon) last week with a view to changing things around, I don't have any other fisty boys and I'm not a fan of the whole Jay Leno look to his face. So, head swap, put something interesting in his left hand, and swap out the shoulder gun for something a little more generic, the grav gun feeling very much Tor's signature weapon (aside from the MASSIVE power fist that is)... Also swapped out the fist icons for something a little more Ultramarine-ey.

So, standard he's meant to look sommat like this:

[​IMG]

So far I have got this:

[​IMG]

The Reaver head was not my first choice, but it fits well with the auxiliary targeting eyepiece thingy, the other ones, even regular marine heads, didn't. The sword is one from one of the Horus Heresy boxes and fits really well, plus it has some similar design elements to the rest of the figure. (don't worry, the mould lines are still being worked on...

And then there's this:

[​IMG]

Swapped out the front section of the grav gun for an auto bolt rifle. Unfortunately the magazine would not fit below so I put twin ones on it, the same as the storm bolter on vehicles works, it seems to have evened things out nicely. The barrel is now drilled out properly, and the drilled out lenses are so that I can paint the sockets and then build the lenses back up with gloss varnish, that works really well and saves the need for "gem painting". Don't mind the Freddie cat hair, he was "helping"...

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

The fruits of my 3D printing so far:
    [​IMG]

I didn't choose the spool colour mind :D

liratheal and Almightyrastus like this.
  9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

10. liratheal

Finished off the Thunderbolts, still blown away by how much like the full size version they are.

Great fun to paint. Might have to try some Marauders next..

[​IMG]

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  11. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Anyone grabbing the new sisters box? It looks pretty class

12. liratheal

I thought about it, a lot, but then I'd just have to sell a bunch of sisters stuff I didn't want. I'll be waiting for the individual set releases I think.

It looks like a nice enough set though.

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I think that with the Sisters stuff, it is going to be very much like everything else these days, I shall be picking and choosing through the characters and seeing what I like. I may grab a box or two to add some allied troops to something else, but it'll just end up being yet more stuff to paint...

liratheal likes this.
  14. liratheal

I read the black Templar community blog today.

Sounds like we're going back to the good old days of abhor the witch instead of 'mysteriously don't have any but don't mind them' ********. Christian Space Nazis once more!

..I should probably be careful about calling something I like Nazis in this country..

15. lilgoth89

liratheal and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  16. liratheal

I'm not a blood angel guy usually but hot damn does that mephiston model look amazing.

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Agreed.

I love the fact that it's mimicking the art by Mark Gibbons from 2nd edition.

liratheal likes this.
  18. 13eightyfour

I've just set this off on the Mars scaled down to 2%! You're probably right about the details, everything looks absolutely tiny. But in 3.5 Hours hopefully, I'll have a print to look at.

EDIT:

Print completed without any issues, definitely should have checked the dimensions before printing it though as it's far too small! Happy with the detail on it though, here's a pic with some of my other prints that are all the correct 'scale' for reference.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Nov 2019
  19. lilgoth89

Man thats pretty good, my main issue with SLA / DLP machines is the TINY print volume on most of them, when you want to be printing out Armour panels for the Warlord, but i cant find a cheap printer with the volume i need

20. lilgoth89