1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cancelling double glazing

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 12 Nov 2019.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Lesson for the future, though: always put even a little bit of a big payment on a credit card to get S.75 protection for the full amount. Paying a £3k deposit, but don't have that big a credit limit? Put £1 on the card and £2,999 on your debit card, you still get S.75 protection for the whole £3k.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I'll have to remember that.
    Just been using the online chat with CAB, they cant see how they could have begun work with only rough measurements done by the salespeople. Was told to email them (not phone as I need the paper trail) and remind them they cannot have begun work as no precise measurements have been taken. If they still refuse its trading standards for a restriction of rights.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

That's interesting, would that apply in all situations when spending enough money?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup - S.75 kicks in at £100, and you only need to spend £0.01 of that on the credit card to be protected for the full amount.

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not necessarily. You may be able to get the bank to raise it as a Visa chargeback, disputing it as something like goods/services not received.

IanW likes this.
  6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Spot on, VISA and Mastercard both have security features in place, which are similar to S.75. If i remember rightly, you have a limited window for a claim though.

Sam

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The debit card charge should be able to get sorted with the bank, not sure if it's the same with all banks but with RBS it's officially transactions within the 120 days but unofficially they'll look into any case.

9. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Can we get an update? I'd like to know this ended well.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  10. legoman

Company is not responding to my emails and being evasive on calls so having to go through trading standards.
    Company is still using clause 28.b saying its a bespoke product. The only measurements taken were rough ones by two sales people.
    They even said the surveyor will need to come out to take accurate measurements so I can't see how they can start making a made to measure product using rough measurements.

11. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

We had double glazing priced up and the sale was only final on the engineers / surveyors say so and when he came out the windows were not doable the way the salesman had said and the order was cancelled. no money or deposits changed hands, so your fly by night crew is well out of order getting big money up front like that using high pressure selling.

12. Gareth Halfacree

What you need is a Notice Before Action.

Send that Special Delivery so you've got proof of delivery, job done.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2019
  13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Actually you should send two copies. One first class only with a simple proof of postage and the other one Special; shady companies will sometimes turn down signed-for postage and return to sender. If you really want to belt-and-braces it, you can also email the letter with a read receipt requested, although I'd wait to send that until after the Special is in, in case it clues them up and they purposefully turn away the Special letter.

Arboreal, IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

As an aside, and to go with the "pay a bit on your credit card" advice from above, here's a tip I try to live by when dealing with door-to-door salespeople: never sign on the first visit. Doesn't matter how long they've been there, don't sign.

The dodgy companies will pressure you to sign then and there. They'll offer "discounts," "time limited offers," warn of "price hikes," or even just try to wear you down through verbal diarrhoea alone. Don't sign. Also, tell them that their high-pressure selling tactics have lost them the sale, and that you'll be contacting Trading Standards to discuss the matter, door's on your left, have a nice day.

The decent companies will completely understand that you don't sign up to humpty-tumpty-thousand-quid on a whim. They'll send you a formal quote. You can compare said quote to other companies. Then you can sign at your leisure, having considered all the options available to you.

Never sign on the first visit. No good will come of it.

15. legoman

I'll get that sorted today

Yeah, my own stupid fault, They turned up at about six and kept going on and on price started at 26k then kept dropping to 12.5k by the end of it I just wanted them gone I've been up since four that day an was up at the same time the next day by that time is was half ten at night.
    The surveyor has rung me since to try an book an appointment, I've said no I'm cancelling he was fine with it. Lots of reviews about this company using pressure tactics and bullying people by going on four hours on end to get them to sign.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As we live in a council bungalow, we have an easy way to deal with them. It goes like this; This is a council property, go and deal with Somerset West and Taunton Council.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

+1 on the 2 letters, one non signed for. I had to write to a car dealer a couple of months ago to reject my car. They never received the 'signed for' letter as they were allegedly on holiday and weren't there to collect it.
    I sent another signed for and one 1st class as well as a copy by email.
    Trading standards don't deal with the public direct these days. It's all though Citizens Advice, who were great and insisted I re contact them at every stage.
    I received my full refund eventually, but it was slow.
    I also use S75 as I paid a £500 deposit on credit card before they decided to stop taking cards...
    Good luck. I'm with you in spirit and feel the stress.

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

@legoman Have you spoken with your bank about the charges on your debit card and getting the money back?

19. legoman

Not yet, to be honest with that an how I'm feeling right now I just don't care right now.

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Please don't give up and let these absolute c**ts win. It's worth going to court over. No judge is going to let them get away with it.