1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Upgrade - Motorola One Zoom?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Oct 2019.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I don't know whether this will work for you but Volume Control splits the Media, Ringtone, Notifications and Call volumes independently of each other.

Also if you use Bluetooth Headphones and/or Bluetooth Speakers then Bluetooth Volume Manager is a great but fiddly App to set different volume levels for different devices.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I shall try 'em out - ta!

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Reading about your battle with the apps and the stupidity of the volume makes me look forward to joining the android club in the very near future. *hugs wp8* :waah:
    (of course WP does stupid sh....tuff too, but still)

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Just a counterpoint to the volume control thing: The change was actually a big improvement for me. My phone lives on vibrate the majority of the the time. The number of times that the physical volume controls accidentally nudged it into either full silent or loud at some in inopportune time.... On the other hand having some site or app suddenly blare out audio at high volume at some equally in inopportune moment and having to desperately fumble for the volume buttons was fairly common too.

The current system makes more sense to me. The volume buttons control the media volume (i.e. the volume of activity on the phone) and brings up an on-screen toggle between silent, vibrate and audible. The volume of the audible ringtone is controlled in settings.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which works for you, but sadly not for me: ever since I've owned a mobile I've adjusted the ring volume depending on what I'm doing. Sat at home? Low volume. Heading out? High volume. Home again? Low volume. I *could* just toggle it from ringing-at-all to vibrate-only, but vibrate-only ain't much good if you've taken it out of your pocket.

6. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

In my sound settings I have the option of changing the default action of the volume button.

7. wolfticket

I know, I'm just saying it's a YMMV annoyance. Anecdotally I think I see more people who keep the ring volume of their phone consistent and switch between silent/vibrate. Accidentally changing ring volume using the physical controls was a common issue in my experience (in my capacity as that guy friends and family moan about tech to :happy:). And by the by, vibrating only while out of your pocket isn't an issue if you wear a smart watch.

I think if I if I were in your situation I'd probably think about using profiles in some shape or form: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nzdroiddev.soundprofiles

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I set my phone up to change volume of ringer/vibrate etc based on location.

All my volumes can be set independently and has been the same on all Android phones I have experienced, when you do the volume you normally just pull the blind down a bit more to get the other volume bars, is that not standard?

9. Gareth Halfacree

I had a smartwatch. Pebble. It was lovely. Then they went bankrupt. Don't fancy any of its successors, so... Yeah.
    Odd - I've been using a mobile since the days when Ericcson didn't have a Sony in front of it, and I've literally never had that problem.
    As per my earlier post:
    Volume is not present in the 'blind' (notification area) any more, only brightness. Pressing the hardware volume key adjusts the media playback volume and pops up a slider for that - but only for that. The only other two buttons are one which toggles between Ring/Vibrate/Nothing and one which brings up the full Settings window, on which you can adjust the ringtone volume.
    Those are options, but a lot more awkward than just pressing a single button used to be...

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes mine is the same but you drag the volume slider down and get access to the other volume sliders without going into menus.

11. wolfticket

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Can't comment on what android was like before, but it's surprising they don't do something akin to what WP does, press hardware volume button volume pops up at the top to allow altering. For WP it's ring volume, unless media is playing but that's beside the point, there's a little arrow that you can tap to expand the volume and have access to the other volume bar. No need to navigate away from the home screen. Or I dunno, tap the music icon to toggle to ring volume to allow adjustment.

13. Gareth Halfacree

No joy here - dragging things up and down just adjusts the media volume.
    That looks promising!
    That's literally how Android worked prior to 9: if media was playing it adjusted media volume, otherwise it adjusted ring volume; in either case, sliders for ring, media, and alarms displayed whenever you used the hardware volume buttons.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

That's how mine still works on xiaomi and samsung at least but these are quite customized.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Well, I'm a bit disappointed: February has been and gone, and I'm still on the January 5th Security Patch Level. C'mon, HMD, what are you playing at? The whole selling point is three years of regular security updates!

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Regular =/= frequent :D

17. Gareth Halfacree

If HMDia doesn't want to have its Android One credentials taken away, it means one a month at a minimum:

upload_2020-3-4_14-14-25.png

And for three years:

upload_2020-3-4_14-14-43.png

I can only hope it's 'cos they're busy rolling out Android 10 for the thing...

18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

19. Gareth Halfacree

Aye - which is why, despite the thread title, I bought a Nokia 7.2. :p

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

As I've said in other phone posts, software updates are great but whilst many companies can say they offer years of updates, it doesn't really mean a great deal unless you have been given an update schedule.