1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows To invert, or not to invert....

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by B1GBUD, 25 Nov 2019.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

That is the question?

Personally I've always inverted mouse Y-axis as it felt more natural. This got me pondering... how many of the splendid Bit-Tech folk invert their mouse when gaming?

My reasoning is that if I were to place my hand on my head (palm on the crown, fingers towards my forehead) pulling back to look up, pushing forward to look down. Much like how you'd operate a flight stick.

In some games, I also re-map my key config from WASD to up/down/left/right because the space around the keys means I don't accidentally eject from a vehicle by hitting E by mistake!

How do you play yours?

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i always invert, your reasoning of leaning back to look up and forward to look down is perfect sense.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Mouse control, normal (forwards = look up)
    Any kind of control stick, invert (pull back = look up)

Muscle memory demands it so!

Osgeld likes this.
  4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I consider invert the same as aim assist or mouse acceleration:
    Needless stuff that serves no purpose when using a mouse.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Inverted...

I always thought most people did it that way because if you fall backwards you're looking at the sky and if you fall forwards you're looking at the floor.

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I thought it was a holdover from emulating flight controls which were established in the days of fly by wire.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Inverted here.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Mouse moves in the direction the cursor needs to go, anything different just seems weird. Inverted? No, not, never.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

[​IMG]

I would invert for flight controls, but nothing else, that's just madness. Also if I were were to put my hand on my head, I would go fingers pointing back. Trying to get it the other way is very uncomfortable and again, utter madness. :nono:

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Inverted with mouse, inverted with sticks.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I understand why people invert, but it makes my head hurt.

I'm a non-inverter.

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Invert if using a controller (push forward to look down) and if playing a flying game, otherwise don't.

13. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Inverted, believe me i have tried to get used to the other way (because handing controllers back and forth and changing it each time) but no, I can do it, but i go from reasonable to rubbish and it doesnt get any better despite several hours of trying.

Same with camera controls. Inverted also makes flying vehicles so much easier.

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Does anyone invert the x-axis?

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is there no end to your crazy. :D ;)

With the plane thing being inverted and it maybe being a handover from that, how did planes end up with it?

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'cos *originally* a plane wasn't fly-by-wire, it was literally fly-by-physically-moving-stuff-with-a-stick. You pushed the stick forward, you were physically moving the flaps (ailerons? whatever, I dunno, some movey bit or other) up and making the plane go down; you pulled the stick back, you were physically moving the flaps down and making the plane go up. A modern fly-by-wire system could make any direction do anything you want - move the stick down to dispense coffee, whatever - but changing up to down and down to up would have really confused pilots moving from direct control to fly-by-wire in a sort of... expensive, noisy, and likely fatal way. So, forward-down and backwards-up it remains!

Fizzban likes this.
  17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I tried inverted mouse and the optical sensor almost blinded me.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@Gareth Halfacree: I think I've used up my allotment of brain power for today as i still don't get it, push a stick in one direction and the bottom, where i presume most movey bits attach, goes in the other direction, however doesn't the direction the flappy bits move depend on where you attach the other end of the movey bit.

My brain won't be working again until tomorrow though so i couldn't even think my way out of a paper bag right now, plus I'm getting some rather strange looks pretending to move an imaginary joystick. :)

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

An interesting question.

Back in my younger days, I used to play Goldeneye on N64 and I think I played inverted. But in the years since then I have been almost PC exclusive and I got used to the cursor going where I point it. So now I would never invert anything other than a flight-sim, and I don't play those.

My take away from this is..whatever works.

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I always use inverted when using a controller. I can see why others wouldn't though. A long time ago a friend and I got into this 'discussion' - we decided that inverted would be like having hold of the hair on top of the characters head - pull back to look up and push forward to look down. Alternatively not inverted is like having hold of their chin - up is up and down is down.

Fizzban likes this.