1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Selling a Labour/Lib-Dem coalition could have worked quite well (in terms of a functional government that gets stuff done, rather than either getting their more extreme policies implemented) but the Lib-Dems shot themselves in the foot by ruling it out, which was taken by everyone with two synapses to rub together to mean "we'll ally with the Tories again and you'll just end up with more of the same crap just like last time".

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The LD's 'we're the real tories' pitch to wavering tories has gone predictably badly with wavering labour types. They [Swinson in particular] also still have the stink of coalition on them, making wooing wavering Labour voters trickier.
    But cosying up to labour will be seen as enabling corbyn and will repel wavering tories and possibly some wavering labour.

Unfortunately for the LDs they kind need both of those group on side to get any meaningful gains.

Meanwhile Labour really need to avoid pissing off both the SNP and the LDs too badly as the way the electoral maths appears to be stacking up they'll likely need the help of both to form any kind of govt. Even then, a coalition of that configuration would probably still collapse at the first stiff breeze or argument over what biscuits to have in meetings.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2019
  3. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

The lib dem need to stop dishing out their deceitful leaflets ignoring the tactical voting. Even Hugh Grant had to tweet that the 2nd paragraph wasn't true after he helped Berger. He's neutral and helping Labour as well for tactical voting. Labour is also guilty in some aspect of ignoring tactical voting though. But every time I hear Swinson accusing Johnson of lying I roll my eyes at her hypocrisy.

damien c likes this.
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Edwards and Nexxo like this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

6. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Tory it is then, better the devil you know.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I look forwards to telling tearful old ladies that their operations are cancelled and they're going to go blind.

There is one I am particularly looking forwards to giving that news to...

Last edited: 9 Dec 2019
  8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

And then they wonder why battered wives won't leave their abusive husbands.

9. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I'm just above the NMW and my wife's a carer and all my colleagues are voting Blue, nobody trusts Corbyn and his promises. Labour will be wiped out in the West Midlands.

10. Nexxo

But you trust a demonstrable sociopath (remember what I do for a living. I am not being hyperbolic). Good luck with that.

edzieba and Arboreal like this.
  11. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'd say Johnson is far less trustworthy, this is a guy who's been sacked twice for lying, was told by the UK statistics authority that the claims on the side of a bus were a misrepresentation, told the farther of a sick boy that there were no media cameras here when they were filming him and the clocks of cameras could be heard, told people that we'd leave by October the 31st even after our sovereign parliament had passed a law that compelled him to seek an extension, was found to have mislead the Queen, and has been lying about Brexit being over if he gets a majority.

You say better the devil we know but we know the current devil is a pathological liar whereas we don't know what the devil we don't know is like by extension of him being the devil we don't know.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, seems like a stand-up guy: voted against gay rights, for reductions in benefits, for increasing university fees to the maximum level, against human rights, against an investigation into the Iraq war, voted against a right to remain for EU nationals, voted to increase VAT which hits those on lower incomes disproportionately yet voted *against* bankers' bonus taxes and an increase in income tax for those earning over £150,000, voted for increased privatisation of the NHS, for selling state-owned forests, against measures to limit climate change, voted against limiting the rise in rail fares, voted to restrict legal aid, voted against financial support for students in training, voted to reduce funding for your local council but also against giving said council more autonomy...

You've picked a real winner for your family, there.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2019
  14. Nexxo

Ah, yes. "Drain the swamp". Now where have we heard that before.

Let's check his voting record:

- Generally voted against equal gay rights
    - Generally voted against laws to promote equality and human rights
    - Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices
    - Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits
    - Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability
    - Generally voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax")

- Consistently voted for making local councils responsible for helping those in financial need afford their council tax and reducing the amount spent on such support
    - Almost always voted for reducing central government funding of local government
    - Generally voted against more powers for local councils

- Consistently voted against strengthening the Military Covenant

- Almost always voted against a right to remain for EU nationals already in living in the UK

- Consistently voted against restricting the provision of services to private patients by the NHS

- Consistently voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed
    - Consistently voted for ending financial support for some 16-19 year olds in training and further education
    - Consistently voted for university tuition fees

- Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT
    - Consistently voted against increasing the tax rate applied to income over £150,000
    - Almost always voted against a banker’s bonus tax
    - Almost always voted for more restrictive regulation of trade union activity
    - Almost always voted for reducing the rate of corporation tax

(EDIT: ninja'd!)

Yup, looks like a guy who's got your back. Enjoy having a classic Tory screw you over and having a sociopath for PM.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2019
  15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I think trusting any politician is a setup for disappointment.

Every last one of them is only in it for themselves as far as I can tell. Kick 'em all into the Thames and start again with new rules, and an absolutely **** salary. Forcing it to be a second job instead of a taxpayer funded lunch with some throat noises before and after.

The_Crapman and wolf5ster like this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Jiminy P. Christmas:

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

People have told me things like that are down to life choices and how things that are free will have unlimited demand, i thought it was because people were being forced into low paid jobs and couldn't afford to feed their family so I'm glad someone pointed that out to me, I'm so stupid when it comes to things like choosing whether to eat food or not. ;)

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Holy jingle bells.

If BoJo gets in he'll probably try to privatise them as a 'service'

19. Nexxo

Rees-Mogg undoubtedly would find it an "uplifting example" of the improving diet and charity of the British public.
    You think that you're joking...

20. Nexxo

We'll see. If Boris Johnson gets a majority come the 12th, we know that it is the free will of the British public to go hungry.