1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your take on the past decade?

Discussion in 'General' started by play_boy_2000, 18 Dec 2019.

?

2010's

Poll closed 31 Dec 2019.
  1. Dumpster fire

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Bad

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Same old sh|t, different decade

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Good

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. I've been on hallucinogenic drugs the whole time; it's been awesome.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have a pair of pants that are older than that!

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Weird seeing all these young comments when I already feel old. Body already feels 60

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Get to bed

Pete J likes this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Jeez! You're wearing out fast...

MLyons likes this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Me too, even got a step great grandchild, just few months old.

6. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

My wife has - so I have, by extension - a 15yo GREAT-grand son...

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Unions are a cancer on modern organizations (in locations with strong govenrment regulations and labour laws).
    Sorry, must have missed this, unless you're talking about that brush fire after the hopper test? If so, I've been to Boca Chica, it's worthless scrub land one bad hurricane away from not existing anymore.
    Elon was a complete dickhead in this case, but so was Unsworth.
    Ever heard of Iridium flares? Amazon, Telesat, Oneweb and probably somebody's dog are all planning LEO constellations, so astronomers are just going to have to adjust their observing around dusk and dawn to avoid the issue. It's not the end of terrestrial astronomy as we know it.
    Yeah, not a fan either, but I think standing out from the crowd was the intention.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Disagree.
    So let's just set fire to it, yeah? You're aware that the problem was Musk applied for permission to test one type of engine, then tested a completely different type - setting fire to wilderness outside his permitted testing zone? Stand-up guy, that.
    Strongly disagree. Unsworth said the billionaire playboy who'd turned up with a completely unusable "solution" to score some PR points could shove his useless "submarine" up his arse. Musk, being incredibly thin skinned, then told... 30.1 million people that Unsworth was a paedophile. Not because he had any proof, but because Musk is a complete dicknut. He then hired a PI to dig up dirt on Unsworth - a failure, 'cos he's not a paedo - while emailing a journalist "off the record" to say that he was a paedo and they should write a story about how many kids he's diddled (spoiler: none.)

Even after all that, Unsworth didn't sue him until Musk tripled-down on his claims by saying that he was obviously a dirty paedo 'cos otherwise he'd have sued Musk for calling him a dirty paedo. So he sued him. Didn't really have a choice. Then Musk proceeded to lie out of his arse about the whole thing. "It doesn't mean paedophile, it's just a saying in South Africa for 'creepy old man.'" (It's not.) "He's only suing me to get money." (You literally left him no choice.) "It was just banter, I wasn't accusing him of paedophilia." (You literally paid tens of thousands of dollars to a PI to "prove" he was a paedo while telling journos he diddles kids, you absolutely were.)
    Strongly disagree. Here, take a look. Or here. Or here. Or here. Or here. Starlink, which is to scale to tens of thousands of satellites, isn't Iridium.

That's before I even mention the whole nearly crashing into other satellites 'cos Musk's approach is "work fast and break things," the "things" in question usually belonging to other people.
    Was having the "bulletproof windows" break after a couple of very gentle underarm lobs the intention? Is "standing out from the crowd" why the retail Tesla models are notorious for terrible fit and finish and the "autopilot" occasionally tries to kill the driver and sometimes succeeds - or tries to roast the driver's dog?

Shall we talk about "funding secured at $420?" How about how he self-styles as "Tesla founder," which he's not? I could go into the safety issues at his factories, if you like? His habit of stealing creatives' work then attacking them if they point out credit would be nice?

Last edited: 19 Dec 2019
  9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nah, it's code for "gaffer reads the forum".

MLyons likes this.
  10. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

@play_boy_2000 - might be worth quitting while you can; when Mr. H has this head on, it never ends well unless you let him win.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yes, we all 'let' Gareth win from time to time. He's a fragile flower with a poor grasp of English, and we have to boost his ego every once in a while.

runs away, laughing like a maniac

Last edited: 19 Dec 2019
  12. play_boy_2000

Yeah, seems for every bit of an Elon fanboy I am, Gareth is an Elon basher.

I do have to say that he is 100% wrong about the Boca Chica hopper test though; the permits to do rocket stuff are not handed out like candy. I was there 2 weeks after the hopper test; the fire was tiny and for the most part only burned grasses that had already managed to grow back.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Like I said back when I was in the unusual position of defending Apple: I'll denigrate those who do bad and praise those who do good.
    I'll happily strike that one from the record and chalk it up to my poor memory - I swear I read that he was operating outside the terms of the granted permit, but I can't DuckDuckGo anything to support that memory.

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I started the decade employed, married with kids, in what I thought was great health and a great modding career. I'm ending it after a terrible divorce, the loss of another child, a second failed marriage, a diagnosis of terminal illness, multiple strokes, partial blindness and finally finding someone who accepts my genderless ass for me. I'm having to be checked for a second fatal disease, one which affects the brain, and am facing a future where I may be bad enough to be institutionalized.

On the plus side, at least I finally reconnected with my past and my history as a Native American. And I made some great friends here. It's a dumpster fire, but it's always better with friends.

And Trump's ass just got impeached. It's a dumpster fire with marshmallows.

15. play_boy_2000

Steve Job's was a complete cun7; who knows what he would have tweeted about, had he not considered communication with us peasants to be below him.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Wouldn't catch me defending ol' Jobsy - I was merely explaining why "$52,000 Mac Pro OMG" is a daft reaction to have and that Apple was actually charging a pretty fair rate for the machine. For a change.

Like I say: do good, get praise; do bad, get dragged. 's a pretty simple position I take, 'ere.

17. play_boy_2000

So, Elon has done no good in your view?

18. Gareth Halfacree

Did I say that? Pretty certain I didn't. I was dragging Musk - sorry, I'm not on first-name terms - for the bad he's done.

D'you want me to praise some of the good he's done? The water filtration stuff for Flint was good. His assistance in Puerto Rico was good, too. The solar company he acquired has done good, though I seem to recall a big thing in the news where businesses were asking for them to be removed from their roofs 'cos they had a tendency to set on fire. Still, solar (though not as much as nuclear) and electric vehicles (though maybe not Tesla-brand electric vehicles) are certainly the future, and he's doing plenty to push that forward. Ditto spaceflight, though I'm not so sure he's ever going to put a Cybertruck on Mars - nor that it'll do much good once it's there...

Has the good Elon has done outweighed the bad he's done? I'm not so sure. And I'm not talking "calling one guy a pedo" here, I'm talking about things like how he treats his workers. And the people in whose companies he invests. And other investors, for that matter.

EDIT:
    Yeah, there we are: it was Walmart that had the problem with solar panels becoming barbecues. I remembered it being a big company.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2019
  19. play_boy_2000

Gareth, hop a flight to Florida in the new year, rent a FSD model 3 and see a RTLS Falcon 9 launch, maybe it'll soften your negativity bias.

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It was good PR... he's been less good on the actual delivery. Seeing as he... y'know... hasn't delivered...

First it got scaled back from 'any household over the EPA limit' to just the water fountains in Flint's schools... and as of November '19 even that had been delayed... again...

...you mean how Tesla factories basically went '**** worker safety' and took down all the warning signs because Musk doesn't like anything yellow?

Last edited: 20 Dec 2019