1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 10 clock always wrong

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cerberus90, 20 Dec 2019.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

When I turn my PC off in the evening, the power gets turned off at the wall. When I boot up in the morning the time is always wrong. A re sync in the date/time settings sorts it out and it's fine for the rest of the day.

I went into the BIOS day before yesterday to see if that was the problem, and the time was wrong in there, so I corrected it. Next day the time in windows was wrong again, but a restart into BIOS showed the BIOS time to be correct.

Anyone got any ideas on what's going on? I did a google originally but didn't come up with much useful stuff, I did make sure a service (something to do with the clock/time sync) was set to auto start but that didn't seem to make any difference.

It was the Windows Time service, which was set to manual startup, I changed to Automatic. But looking today, it had changed back to manual startup. I've switched it back to automatic and started the service and the time has corrected, so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

RTC battery?

Does the clock go to pot with 'Set Time' and/or 'Set Time Zone Automatically' set to 'off'?

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Echo the above, turning off at the wall everyday will have put more drain on the battery than normal so will most likely be flat.

I wouldn't bother turning off at the wall unless there's a very good reason (the power draw when shutdown is negligible).

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yup first thing to check is the battery, it's always been the case the 2 or 3 times i've had that happen over the years.

They do give out.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I thought it might not be the cmos battery when the time in bios was still correct after it was wrong in windows. I'll try leaving the power on and see what happens with that. Only reason I turn off at the wall is there's a white LED on the mobo which is silly bright at night and PC is in my bedroom.

Not looking forward to changing the battery if it is that as I reckon I'll have to take the gfx card out, which means the rad will also have to come out, :D

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

White LED => Solution Sharpie marker. It won't obscure only dim the output.

Are the minutes correct?

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Are you dual booting?

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Could do that I suppose, with the steadiness of my hands though I'd likely draw all over the mobo, :D
    Don't think so no.

Nope.

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Weird.
    Forgot to leave the power on last night. Booted into BIOS straight away, and the time was wrong. Restarted, and windows time is correct????? :D

Think I'll change the CMOS battery.

So apparently UEFI bioses can have their time set by windows. After windows time was showing correctly, I rebooted again into the BIOS, and the time was correct in BIOS.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

On initial boot, the UEFI/BIOS gets its time from the motherboards onboard clock, which requires power. If that battery is dead, when you boot into Windows, Windows will get the time from a time server via the internet and then compare the UEFI time. If the UEFI time is different, Windows will update it, fixing it until you shut down again as you have a dead battery.

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Also you may be able to turn off the white LED on the board in the bios :)

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

All sorted now, new bios battery has fixed it. LED is on the graphics card, thought it was mobo but it's not.