1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your take on the past decade?

Discussion in 'General' started by play_boy_2000, 18 Dec 2019.

?

2010's

Poll closed 31 Dec 2019.
  1. Dumpster fire

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Bad

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Same old sh|t, different decade

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Good

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. I've been on hallucinogenic drugs the whole time; it's been awesome.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Going by the Gareth's criterial, Jeremy Clarkson clearly wins that award; the amount of **** that's come out of his mouth makes Elon look like a saint by comparison.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

But **** was coming out of Jeremy Clarkson's face long before the 2010s

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dude, read what the astronomers are saying - not what you're "sure" about.
    And yet here we are, at the end of 2019, and the two boring machines Musk was absolutely definitely going to have ready this year are nowhere to be seen.

Yes, they laughed at the Wright Brothers; but they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

(Also, do you think that Tesla was the first company to make an electric car? Bless.)
    Because we're talking about Musk? Do keep up. (That's "whataboutism," an attempt to deflect attention from something. Why aren't you screaming about starving children in Africa? See, I can play too!)
    Am I? My, what a selective memory you have.
    "A few injuries?" One dude lost his chuffin' leg. Gone. Amputated. Half-legless, and not in the merry way. Then Tesla forced the safety official who reported on the issue that led to said guy losing his damn leg to resign, and sacked another safety official who raised concerns. Then outside the factory there's been at least one death. And a very spirited attempt to ruin someone's life. And the ouster of the two *actual* Tesla founders. And so on, and so forth.
    Close minded? Me? I'm not the one who literally won't read anything that hasn't come from the furtive fingers of Papa Musk.
    I didn't say he could sell it; I said he was worth $10bn four years ago and $25bn now. This is not a man starving for his art.
    Oh, when it's a negative the sample size is too small - but didn't you list Starlink maybe one day bringing cheap or free internet to the world as a positive? 'cos currently that's a sample size of zero: it hasn't happened.

EDIT:
    In fact, hang on, you literally said:
    So the sample size is too small to count as a negative ("he's failed to demonstrate that he can actually deliver on his promise of boring tunnels at half the price and twice the speed of the competition") but the right size for proving a positive ("they'll cost less than half as much?") Oh, mate...
    This.

Oh, he's a dicknut too - but we weren't discussing Clarkson.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2019
  4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

@play_boy_2000 - I suggest a new strategy; let the Staffer win...

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Shhhh! I just bought popcorn.

6. play_boy_2000

It really is rather boring arguing with someone who has already made up their mind. At this point I'm tempted to bookmark this thread and if I'm still here (or this website for that matter) at the end of 2029, we can see how history has played out.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Isn't it just?

Will the guy's leg have grown back by then?

David and yuusou like this.
  8. play_boy_2000

This is the part you don't understand: I DON'T CARE.

People die and are injured every damn day; it's a fact of life. Hundreds of millions of people have been sacrificed, for far less worthy causes over the course of human history.

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Removed, there was no point.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2019
  10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

[​IMG]

You should try the chewbacca defence. Never fails.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. play_boy_2000

Not sure if that's aimed a me or Gareth, but I'll make my argument assuming it's aimed at me.

Me: Tesla autopilot already is (keep in mind, alive and uninjured people don't make the news) and can make a further huge dent in the 1.25 million road deaths (never mind injuries and property damage) every year.

Gareth: But one guy lost his leg, Elon is a monster.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yo. Those two arguments are not the same argument.

Elon is a moron because:

• He tweets inappropriate ****. The kind of inappropriate **** that gets you; Sued by a not-paedophile, investigated by the SEC, devalues the company you're supposedly passionate about.
    • Over-Promising on everything. October 2017, he claimed that Model 3 production would be up to 5000 units per week by the end of the year (Hint: It wasn't). The solar powered supercharger stations - Made a big stink about it, by 2014 only two were in operation. He's halfway to sending people to Mars based on his 2011 comments. Want to take bets on how that pans out? The "Tesla Solar Roof" was announced in 2016. He had it installed on some buildings in January 2018 and a statement it'd be out in "the next few months". Fastforward to now, and he's "still tinkering". Boring. Line-Storm. It's not March 2019 anymore. He's over-promised and under-delivered again.
    • His method of working fast and breaking things is less of a problem in a closed environment (Because you know the variables), but when those things are people that he then (And you, apparently) doesn't give a **** about that is callous moronic behaviour. You can't be the saviour of mankind (look at his projects. That's obviously where he sees himself) while also throwing human suffering at every problem. He has a problem a lot of us have - We think something's easy. Funny Clarkson should be mentioned, I imagine a critical step in Musky deciding whether to do something is a Clarkson-esque "How hard can it be?" moment. Where he then assumes he's smarter than everyone (Hint: He isn't. Take a look at the cave thing. That sub would never make it around the sharp corners of the route the divers took. Admirable effort, but once again demonstrating that he doesn't stop to consult someone who knows anything about the subject matter because he believes his own BS).
    • Disregard for safety. I can see a report here that motor industry injury rates are 6.7 injuries per 100 employees (Which is twice that of all other industries apparently) while Tesla is sitting pretty at 8.1 injuries per 100 employees. You don't have to look hard for reports about Tesla under-reporting workplace injuries. The DART (Days away, restrictions and transfers) for the motor industry is averaging at 3.9. Tesla again are sitting pretty at, and this is the most recent number, 7.3. I wonder how much this has to do with untrained people doing physically demanding work
    Just because you don't care that people get injured because of breakneck speed and a disregard internally (Arguably externally, too, for the branding of their driver assist systems.. Call it 'Autopilot' all you want, but if you're not paying attention (or are flat out sleeping) you are not driving safely. I believe somewhere in the manual it states there should be at least one hand on the wheel - But where is that in the marketing bull? Nowhere? It's nowhere isn't it.) for safety doesn't mean it's something you just get to dismiss.

Just because you don't care that one of his companies is cluttering up the sky with satellites doesn't mean you get to dismiss it.

Musky is a self-important jackass. His efforts to make the EV cool (While Tesla was by no means the first EV, they were the first cool EV, which I'd argue has greater impact than being the first. Much like Apple and the iPod) are a good thing, don't get me wrong. But he is a bellend. At this point, I firmly believe Tesla would fare better if someone kicked his ass out the door the same way he kicked the original two board members out. With him at the helm, Tesla is going to have a much harder time competing with the established auto industry. Which isn't to say the established auto industry doesn't need to change (It most assuredly does. **** dealerships), but their ability to weather storms is going to be far greater than Tesla's. For whom the Model 3 is, effectively, a make-or-break car.

Your complete and utter dismissal of all evidence against your beloved Musky makes me pretty confident you're going to whine about how "it's impossible to argue with someone who's made up their mind" and fail to provide any actual counter, but hey. It's Sunday morning, I have two weeks off work, and nothing better to do.

Edit: Yup. There are them-thur-warnings I mentioned. https://i.imgur.com/KZ7enS6.png Screenshotted for your pleasure. But if you want to read the manual (Like, I imagine, many Tesla owners won't, because who reads manuals, you can go here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf And see them all! And more! I actually had to stop screenshotting because I'd had to extend the size of the image twice and still ran out of room. Basically. Autopilot is anything but autopilot. Marketing it as an autopilot system will make your average person think the car will drive itself. And for the most part, they might be right. But as shown, even Tesla think that you need to pay some ****ing attention to the multi-tonne, self-oxidisng fire of a deathmachine you're operating. And yet, people don't. Because marketing says Autopilot and Autopilot means it does everything for you, right? .. Right?

**** Musky and his mouldy ********.

bawjaws and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

This is the part you don't understand: YOU ABSOLUTELY SHOULD CARE.

"The ends justify the means" has always been a dangerous road, but when it hasn't even been proven the ends can be achieved...

We've reached the part of the debate where we just lie about the other's position in a classic strawman attack, have we? Okay, let's do that:

Gareth: Elon Musk is a dicknut because he over-promises, under-delivers, lies like a hairy egg, inculcates a working environment where those who speak up about safety are hounded out of a job or outright fired even after, yes, a dude lost his leg, sells a thing called "Autopilot" which, as above, is anything but and which has literally killed a guy and has had a bloody good go at killing others, has a massively long history of saying stuff for PR points and failing to deliver (or had you forgotten the whole "I'll give half my PayPal windfall to the workers and charitable causes," or indeed "I'll filter Flint's water?"), attempted to ruin a guy's life by repeatedly calling him a paedo to members of the public, members of the media, and the PI he hired to dig up dirt on the guy because one of his dickbrained PR stunts backfired, who set up a car factory which was going to revolutionise an industry he had zero experience of and went so badly it ended up hiring twice the number of workers as anywhere else working shifts two to three times as long as anywhere else and at one point had to build stuff in a tent in the parking lot, who bought Solarcity, a company who did nothing but sell and then badly install third-party solar roofs, just to get his cousins out of a financial jam then nearly bankrupted Tesla trying to turn it into a manufacturer of solar roofs (the subject of ongoing lawsuits, interestingly, and whatever happened to those solar shingles that were going to cost no more than regular shingles, eh?), who has, by the word of professional astronomers, dicked over terrestrial astronomy both amateur and professional for years to come, occasionally poops out cyperpunk plotlines then goes very quiet about it (Neuralink, anyone? I think that was another of your "he's doing good" talking points, despite it having been a single press release and then silence,) who literally told his safety staff to remove hazard warnings and then told the production-line plebs to walk through human effluent to build his badly-made cars...

play_boy_2000: I pledge my... wait, no, other people's lives to the vision of Daddy Musk! It is a glorious thing to give one's... well, someone else's life for the enrichment of Musk! All deaths are necessary in the provision of Tesla vehicles! HAIL MUSK! HAIL MUSK! HAIL MUSK!

(Did... did I do it right?)

[​IMG]

Fingers66 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  14. David

You can see the irony there, right?

15. creative

creative 500rwhp

wow... A little disappointed in this thread. was looking forward to seeing how peoples decade went, instead its a 3 page argument about Elon.

Who cares... you dont have to agree with each other you know.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  16. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Edit: whatever

Guest-44638 likes this.
  17. David

Shame on you both. How dare you attempt to derail a thread derailment.

:lol:

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

[​IMG]

I mean... this is pretty bad, man. You have to be trolling now, yeah? Talking about people being "sacrificed" for the worthy cause of Elon Musk? YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKES.

David and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If we didn't have thread derailments then half of the threads on here would be about three posts long, and half of the posters on here would have about 50% fewer posts to their names :grin::grin::grin:

The_Crapman likes this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've never derailed a thread.

I may have taken threads on a little scenic journey to see the sights of Tangentland but i've never derailed them..