1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Condolences @Arboreal had a friend about ten years ago had similar

Ah parents, I'm still cursed with living with mine. We have a smart meter the display for which I broke to stop her whinging. It was hilarious she would kick off when I turned on my PC that was running a 160W PSU, she refused to use the kettle etc because the cost. All's now forgotten shes back to leaving the TV one room (very loudly) her PC on in another an falling asleep in a third.

My own mini rant involves her as well an her basic two faced attitude to people. She took a parcel in for a neighbour yesterday, when I got home she ranted about how rude it was of them not to have collected it by now etc an that she will never take anything in for anyone again.
    Bit later door goes aforementioned neighbour comes to collect her parcel. I give it to her then get barged out the way by the overly friendly parent shes more than happy to take parcels in whenever she needs them.

She does this kind of thing a lot, also pushes things on me that I'm wholly not responsible for, so for example I now have to get her car MOT'd because she doesn't like doing it. I also have to fill it up with fuel, service it do all the paperwork for taxing and insuring it an she also has told me I need to find her a new car. At what point do I just transfer the ownership into my name? Oh an she sprung on me the back seats are going mouldy so I have to sort that :rollingeyes: Why are they even going mouldy!

I also have the ever confusing situation shes pleased to see me going out to places an going cycling but worries I'll die or something so I when cycling I have to give her my live tracking, she rings me if I stop in case I've been killed (ironic as I wouldn't be answering if that were the case). If I'm out an back slightly late, panicked phone calls, if I'm out late she stays up to make sure I get home safely. Then whinges the next day shes tired.
    I get she worries but I'm in my late 30's now I'm more than able to look after myself. I have lived at home purely because she couldn't look after herself an both my sisters legged it as soon as they could, but its getting to the point I want to walk/need to away from her.
    She has a belief everyone is out to make her life hell so she is a generally an idiot causing problems. She hoards to the point of stupidity, For example I made her go through stuff in the garage last year which she had been keeping for 30+ years. 99% of it binned she seemed to think an alarm system from the 70/80's and all its cabling would work perfectly well in the house.
    The house to give you an idea is just two of us, 3 bed 3 reception rooms. of Which I have my own bedroom and about half the garage, she has the rest an, well its full including the loft.
    She is under the constant belief we are going to be struck by some food shortage so bulk buys so the spare room is actually just a food storage room, the wardrobe I put in there to hang up my cycling kit was filled with random clear crates of food an cleaning products before I got a look in. (why do we need 8Kg of instant coffee???)

Its utterly depressing to look at literally everyone else I know an see they have settled down had kids etc, while I'm in the same situation I was 20 years ago, bar the fact I now have to do more of her jobs because she won't/can't do anymore.

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

The height thing is exactly why I have stubbornly stuck to my pair of HP LP2065s. They are running 4:3 at 1600x1200 and are perfect for the CAD work that I do.

"but they are too old now" says IT. "Don't care" says I.

I'll swap them for newer ones if they can give me ones that have at least a 1200 height resolution and panels that are as good as these. "Everyone needs to be using these [crappy] ones now" "Go away".

Thankfully our new on-site IT guy is understanding and willing to overlook some the directives that he's been given.

IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Last night I had one of those nights that every single one of us dreads. Like, the sort of night where it strikes fear into even the most hardened techie.

All I had to do was take the U.2 drive out of the Triad and fit two M.2 drives to my new board. Simples. I also had to fit a cooler to one M.2 drive which banana-d it and I thought I had killed that, but I digress.

I took out the U.2 host card and booted the PC. Then realised that I needed to try and clone Windows to the RAID stripe. So I put it back in, terribly fiddly horrible little screw and all. Booted into Windows and could not get it to clone so I rebooted to try again and it got to the PIN screen and the PC shut down. Hmm that's odd. Rebooted, same thing happened. Gave the wires a shove and that was it. Nothing. Dead PC. Removed the GPU and sound card still nothing. Removed the PSU cables from the board, let it sit, cleared CMOS and plugged the PSU back in. The standby light on the board was dim and flickering. I thought "Oh crap, I've either killed the PSU or board".

Reset the CMOS a few more times and still nothing. It just wouldn't start. Fiddled with the switches on the board and yay, it starts. Tried to boot, it shut down again, repeat the entire process above twice.

Then I noticed something. I noticed that my GPU had 8 pin cables on it, but one is a 6 pin. This isn't an issue at all as they are only grounds, but what I had done was slice the plastic so it fitted in the socket. Problem was it wasn't seating correctly. So I had to cut it up a bit and finally got it all working. PC booted, I installed Windows on the stripe and all was good in the world again.

But I got those chills. You know? the "OMG I just killed £1000 worth of upgrades !" and "I don't want (or can afford) to buy a new PSU or board etc".

Thank god. Somewhere in all of this the Killer wifi has vanished, but that happened before. It's a funny little module that sits under the IO, so means taking the board out. I think some Deoxit would sort it out, but I have an Asus PCIE card so that is in there now.

5 hours. 5 hours instead of what should have been 5 bloody minutes !

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Well I've emailed IT, said just not getting alobg wit hthe monitors and that I was expecting a 24" like a few other senior people and that I have tried, he;s escalated to the senior guy, not sure if that senior guy likes me or is aware of my progression internally.......fingers crossed

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Today's daytime high.
    [​IMG]

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

******** job rejections

If i didn't have this financial hole hanging over me i'd just shrug it off

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I had an old CRT that I ran at 1600x1200. Loved it and I have spoken fondly of it several times. Was really disappointed when they announced the HD TV video resolution and it was less than my monitor's max (2048x1536). If your IT guy is willing suggest he look at Dell U2412M or the U2415. I have a pair of both and feel they are good monitors, although the touch OSD buttons on the U2415 piss me off.

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Those look speciously like Canada Post Mail boxes. Are you in the prairies?

9. creative

creative 500rwhp

Thats a blue bin, I guess it could be mistaken for a post box I guess...... but hey, whatever the Canadians want! :lol::hehe::lol:

10. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Maybe it's for junk mail lol

Dr. Coin likes this.
  11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

In the background at the end of the fence.

90% of what i pull out of my mail box goes straight into the blue recycling bin.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

****ing wind snatched the car door out of my hand and slammed it into the petrol pump i just pulled up at. nice sodding dent ¬_¬

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

When we were in Iceland the hire car company told us the vast majority of their claims came from the wind catching car doors and either ripping them open or smashing them into things. I've always been a bit wary after that.

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Not ruining my life, but wasn't the nicest start to my birthday Weekend...

Was on the way into work to do a bit of catching up after the baby being unwell during the week. Was behind an old boy in a little Micra, could tell by the way he moved around a couple of junctions that he was getting into that doddery stage of driving, but wasn't expecting him to go straight through a set of red lights at a pedestrian crossing an into a woman at 30mph. It was a square on contact, enough to completely shatter his windscreen and knock her above the height of the roof. He reacted so slowly to It, I genuinely thought it was going to be a hit & run (the brake lights eventually went on and stopped probably close to 60-70m past the crossing).

She eventually got up and walked into the ambulance, but suspected broken arm and who knows how long it can take for an impact like that to manifest in your head... Old boy was obviously shaken up too, but kept switching stories between "I thought it was still green" and "I couldn't see anything because the sun".

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

@Wakka , Christ, that sounds bad but also like it could have been a hell of a lot worse. I was involved in a similar incident about 12 years back, except I was the person on the pedestrian crossing and it wasn't a Micra at 30mph, it was a double-decker bus at 20. I was more than a little bit lucky to get away without what the media like to refer to as "life-changing injuries", but I still have problems with my neck, back and arm even now.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This is why I say we should have regular tests for people over 60. Most of them will pass them with flying colours, but some won't. And those are the ones endangering themselves and others on the roads.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Agreed. I commute across the Peak District and all too often come across some old dear driving at considerably less than the speed limit, quite often ending up with a tail of traffic. Once saw one driving at <=20mph on a national speed limit road, which was a nice surprise as I came round a (relatively gentle) corner.

My father is 69 and although his driving has always been questionable, in the last 5 years or so it's really become quite terrifying at times. Last year he took me out for a meal and was driving on a dual lane carriageway at 40mph - at night. After having quite a few cars scream past us and the fact that he didn't move out so that a van coming in from a slip road could merge without slowing, I'd had enough and told him to damn well get his speed to something reasonable.

18. oscy

oscy Modder

Stop looking for excuses to chicken out and get your damn employment situation sorted...

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Two inches of snow and everyone loses their goddamn mind.

What is it about even mildly inclement weather that makes people forget how their cars work?

perplekks45 likes this.
  20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You have snow? Aw, no fair.