1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi So, what are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 29 Apr 2014.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Taking a break from playing Elite to jump into The Witcher.

Performance is horrible... Like, averaging 35-45fps in busy scenes. I know I've got the settings whacked up all the way, and my machine isn't the greatest gaming PC that there ever was, but it should make absolute mincemeat of a 2007 game! Apparently it only supports a single core, so that isn't gonna help in a PC with 2x 6-core/12-thread Xeons... But single-core performance on this CPU should be roughly on par, or slightly better, than an i7-920 so I'm definitely in the right ballpark for this game.

2. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I've been playing Deus ex HR and Mankind Divided and finally completed them 9 years and 4 years later respectively:rolleyes:.

goldstar0011 and SuperHans123 like this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Did a full playthough of FO3 with Mothership Zeta (GOB SPIT) just before Chrimbo. Took around 60 hours, but I was rusty. Zeta just continually bugged out (even on the Xbox) and took about five hours longer than it should have. There's a reason why I always used to leave it til last, then leave it.....

I started FO4 on the Xbone in 2018. I got about half way through a full playthrough (like all DLC, all bobbleheads all locations) but had a bike crash and stopped. Started that up last week and put around 35 hours in last week to complete it properly. Well, I just have that stupid Vault DLC to do...

Started GOW 5 with my buddy on Xbox over Chrimbo. We're stuck on a boss ATM. Also started RDR2, but tbh? it bores the pants off of me. It's so slow. Looks stunning though, esp at 4k.

After doing FO3 and 4 I decided I wanted to do New Vegas again at 4k on my Xbox. However, seems loads of people had that idea and that's why the ultimate edition with all of the DLC is £40 ! finally managed to find it "disc only" for £17. That'll do.

I only just really bothered with the Lover's Embrace perk on FO4. Basically if you shag your companion you get mad XP boosts for a short time. Poor old Piper, I've set beds up all over Boston lmao.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Poor Piper indeed, should have gone with Curie, at least you can get her some spare parts and a service... ;-)

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Well boy howdy, do I feel unoriginal. I just paused midway on my trip to Colonia, to avoid burnout, and picked up The Witcher 3 for the first time.

And yes, I do live under a rock. I also haven't played GTA V yet.

Also The Witcher 3 is amazeballs, and if anyone lives under an even bigger rock than me and hasn't played it yet, do so.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I may give that another run through once I've got myself out of X4 Foundations. May be some time though.

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Redient Evil 2 having completed 0 and 1

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

466 hours spent on Anno 1800 since November, very addictive in a Sim City / Civilization / Cities: Skylines sort of way.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Looking forward to getting back into that, had a bug in my save which put me off for a while.

Bought my brother Shadow Tactics for christmas in the humble sale and so thought I'd play alongside him type thing, only to find out Twitch doesn't have cloud saves, so an excuse to try it again on hardcore mode!
    Also Cossacks 2 installed and is working nicely on a fresh 10 install so been having some fun with that.

10. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Sort of addicted to Oxygen Not Included. 800+ hours kind of addicted with 310 or so hours spent on current colony.

If you like basebuilding and management games, check it out. Also prepare for moment like this:
    Harold ran into a cavern full of chlorine. Third time this day.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Hah! I actually meant The Witcher, as in, the original :). I have The Witcher 3, but it just didn't grab me in the few times I tried to play it. I did, however, watch the TV series and now I want to play all of them.

liratheal likes this.
  12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Aye. TV show made me replay 3 too. Although after playing one twice I've no patience for it again. The controls were such bum back then.

I bought Pokémon shield, so. That.

13. boiled_elephant

I can't bear to play Witcher 1 even once. I tried a few times and found the combat and gameplay mechanics so awful. I get that the appeal is the big world, the storytelling, the characters, but the opening levels do such a bad job of hooking you - 30 minutes of clicking on enemies to swing a sword at them, followed by some cringey fanservice where he beds the giant cleavage woman character. Coming from the context of the novels, this stuff was clearly less of an issue for existing fans, but I just sigh out loud when I get to the fanservice.

Witcher 3 was where the formula clicked for me. Not coincidentally, it's also where the gameplay started to get good.

I have the same problem trying to revisit Mass Effect 1 - one of my favourite games, but the gameplay was poop, and going back now, I very much notice that it's poop.

I sympathize with your predicament, because I was in it for years. When I think of WoW, I think of Bob's speech from A Scanner Darkly, about how the plot-central 'D' drug "stands for disconnection, you from your friends and family, them from you."

Maybe a bit maudlin when talking about a video game :p But I honestly did find myself in that kind of drug-addict hole with WoW after about 8 years. I didn't play anything else, I didn't go out much, I wasn't motivated at work, my sleep routines were shot, my diet was poor, I didn't have hobbies, I didn't contact my family or keep up with my friends. Because it fully satisfies so many impulses - it gives you the social connection buzz of hanging out with friends and being part of a group, the work ethic satisfaction of achieving goals and making progress on long-term projects, the self-improvement buzz of getting better and honing a skillset, the teamwork buzz of co-operating with colleagues successfully, the entertainment buzz of having a dozen fun things to do and ongoing storylines to follow.

People say WoW is addictive because it's like a drug, but it isn't - drugs are addictive because they rewire your brain chemistry to need them. WoW is addictive because it replaces the gratifications you'd normally have to go out and live a life to gain.

Like a drug, though, it's hard to quit, because suddenly you're back at square 1, having to start getting that gratification from other sources. A lot of the people I knew who were most heavily invested in WoW had jobs they didn't really like, social circles that were remote or unsatisfying, family they didn't like or couldn't access regularly. WoW was filling the gap.

I hope you just play WoW because you enjoy it, and that it isn't filling a gap in your life. For my part, I find that I don't even have time for it anymore when I try to go back, because my life's full of other things that meet the same needs. That, to my mind, should be the long-term goal of any WoW player - to get to a point where they can take it or leave it. But that's difficult to do with an active subscription, because WoW takes up so much time and requires such structured commitments from the player.

If WoW is filling a gap, if it's hard to tear yourself away from, my honest and unprejudiced advice would be to quit for a few months, just to touch base - see what temperature life's currently at without it. And I say that as someone who still considers WoW the best game they've ever played.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2020
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah the gameplay mechanics are a bit... awkward, and I did have a chuckle when I saw Triss' outfit. TBH I have seen far more crass things though, so I'm willing to overlook a bit of 'thirsty' character design to give it a chance!

adidan likes this.
  15. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I must be the only person on the planet who likes and prefers Withcer1 mechanics/combat (even non EE version) to Witcher2 to the point where I played through W1 multiple times, but cant be bothered to touch W2 for a second time. Interestingly i have same relationship with ME1 and 2.

Anyhow, finally managed to finish Witcher3, took me only 4 years (160 ingame hours, all expansions, all points of interest, even in Skellige).

adidan likes this.
  16. adidan

I remember W1 mechanics really annoying me to start with but after giving it time I actually enjoyed them.

Hm, may have to go through W1-3 then get Netflix to watch the series once it's finished.

17. boiled_elephant

:jawdrop:
    I'm about 10% into it at the moment. I know for a fact I won't 100% any aspect of the game, it's too huge.

Gwent is embarrassingly good fun, though. I can see myself getting obsessed with that.

adidan likes this.
  18. adidan

Nothing embarrassing about it, I happily clocked up all those achievements.

Not sure what I did/did not get overall (i'm not usually bothered, KCD for example will remain complete bar one - i ain't going through a playthrough not killing anyone! Insane!)

This W3 talk has got me thinking I didn't spend enough time on it, may install it again.

I remember the music being particularly atmospheric.

19. boiled_elephant

It's the weather effects, for me. Standing out on windy hilltops watching trees moving actually felt like standing on a windy hilltop, for the first time I can think of in any video game. Sounds a bit hipstery, but it's true.

Wanting to play it again is my primary motivator to finish my end-of-year accounts...

Byron C likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

FONV on the eggs box.

Sadly it doesn't have 4k like FO3, so it looks a bit ass. Still it's FONV alright, so I shouldn't complain.