1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Tips on quieting the PSU? (except cleaning, replacing fan or getting a new PSU)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oscy, 20 Jan 2020.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

I read a guy turn his the other way round so it was sucking air from the inside and getting a huge noise difference, so wondering if there's any other random tricks before I try.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Put a resister in the cable.

Replace the fan with a quieter one.

I've done both and as long as it's a decent PSU you should get away with a slower, quieter fan. No guarantees though.

9 years ago I bought a Seasonic P1000 and have used it for for 99% of the time with the fan permanently switched off in my PC in my sig. It cost a small fortune at the time but quality counts.

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I'd say the list of what we cannot do are your best options. Clean is your best option if the fan has changed the noise profile, new fan for best performance, new PSU if you want no fan. Otherwise your other option is to divert the noise, without overheating your PSU. Flipping the fan is one option if it doesn't mess up your case air flow, which is true in most modern cases. A decade ago maybe more people messed around with PSU mufflers, foam lined boxes to absorb the fan noise. This fell out of favor as new fans achieve higher results with out comprising air flow.

Edit:
    Wait I forgot one... custom water cooling the PSU. I do not recommend this in any way.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If you're going to take it apart to clean it or change the fan don't go poking around with anything conductive like a screwdriver or your fingers though, don't want you dying on us. :)

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

And FSP do a PSU with a water block on it ... just made me laugh.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Pretty much.

I'm assuming this is the fan noise you're talking about, in which case turning it round so the fan faces in may help as the noise is directed inwards more and has to bounce around to get out.

A bit of foam or rubber underneath to dampen vibrations is an option.