1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals I need a chair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 23 Jan 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I have my computer on a shelf behind me with my keyboard and monitor on the dining room table. My wife sits opposite with her laptop and it works fairly well. Dining room chair, on the other hand, are an issue. They are not that well made. This model seems to use wooden dowels and the back it coming off. I will pick up some wood glue to repair it but it isn't going to last.

[​IMG]

I need something that can support my fat ass and fat back when I lean back. I'm around 100KG. I would prefer something that breaths and can tilt back. Obviously, it needs to fit in my little work areas. I'm not looking to "invest" and I'm happy to go second hand. Any suggestions?
    From "desk" edge to the shelf I have 70cm.
    From floor to desk bottom I have 65cm.

I had something like this (minus the headrest) when I lived in South China and it was great.
    I don't need anything that ventilated in London, but it was comfortable.
    [​IMG]

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Check out 2ndhnd (dot com iirc)

Edwards likes this.
  3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've used them and found their customer service to be great. I bought from their eBay store. I have two Steelcase Leap chairs (one for home and one for work) and I like them although they're not breathable. Very adjustable and cheaper than the usual number 1 suggestion of a Aeron. I got a little off the asking price by using eBay's 'Best Offer' also.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'll be doing a review of a chair in about a week. I've started testing but want to use it for a week before I do the write up unlike some other sites.

5. GeorgeK

I'd love to try one at some point but even second hand they're bloody expensive. Perhaps if my Leap ever breaks (and I'm particularly flush that month) I'll give one a go.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

If I wasn't price conscious I would give one a whirl.

7. Vault-Tec

2ndhnd.

Plenty of Herman Miller and all of the proper brands of chair like Steelcase and etc.

Like you know? Real chairs.

8. GeorgeK

Do you know if they have a showroom where you can try chairs? I took a punt on the Leap working for me and it did thankfully but there's every chance that I wouldn't have been able to adjust it to my needs (for example I'm 6 foot but if I was any taller then it would have been too low).

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Wait no more: Buy a second-hand Herman Miller.

There you go!

MLyons and Vault-Tec like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

I don't think so. Well, what I mean by that is I've not asked.

With the Aeron you just need the correct size. IE, don't buy a size A if you're a fatty like me.

The Embody comes in one size. But, what I can say is that everybody who has sat in it goes "ahhhhh".

It's like hundreds of little hands holding you up on a soft cloud.

I too got a discount for being a repeat customer. Ordered mine over the phone.

It was expensive at around £440 but completely re-covered, but define expensive when you are destroying your spine?

I remember Anthony once said that a monitor is terribly important because it's the gateway into your PC. I can vouch as a 40 year long computer user that the chair is equally as important.

£440 in the grand scheme seemed like nothing, when you get up from your chair and can't stand up straight.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Just having a peep at that site and the Steelcase Lets B Hi Back Task Chair looks good, mainkly because it has seat depth adjustment. This is a key feature in being able to sit comfortably, often missing in office chairs.

12. Vault-Tec

It's terrible.

Well, for a fatty. I got one and when I get up it feels like I've been in with Tyson, getting bashed around the ring. If I tense up my cheeks my tailbone hurts sooooo bad.

That said it was £40 recovered and the posture is spot on. Just don't buy one if you're 16 stone.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The Herman Miller I went for is the Celle, and its great! I chose the non fabric one and although its weird to look at its really breathable and (I'm hoping) harder wearing than the mesh ones! Its just as customisable as the Aeron, and comes in at £189 on ebay. Annoyingly they didn't design the headrest mount innto it though!

14. silk186

silk186 Derp

I picked up a Senator Sprint Chair from Facebook for £50 delivered same day. I don't see any marks on it so I'm happy.
    It arrived just in time for dinner when I was in need of an extra chair for guests.

15. Vault-Tec

Looks like a proper chair.

16. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm very pleased with the comfort and adjustability. It fits my space, I can lean back a bit because it doesn't have a high headrest. I can also get the arms under the table if I lower the chair.

Mr_Mistoffelees and Vault-Tec like this.
  17. Tech Cave

Tech Cave What's a Dremel?

for 50 pound it's ok i guess, if you like it and it is comfortable

Tags: